Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superthreads on Bargain Alerts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Any update on this?

Personally I would prefer if megathreads were not used. I can see some value in them being used for regular buy/weekly groceries in supermarkets and whatnot but I have missed several items in the argos, Amazon and halfords megathreads which seem to have been created to follow a trend rather than through necessity.

I also miss the discussions about deals on items that caught my eye while scanning through the forum titles and possible alternatives that were proposed by users. I have definitely visited the forum less and less over the last few months completely down to these issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Any update on this?

Personally I would prefer if megathreads were not used. I can see some value in them being used for regular buy/weekly groceries in supermarkets and whatnot but I have missed several items in the argos, Amazon and halfords megathreads which seem to have been created to follow a trend rather than through necessity.

I also miss the discussions about deals on items that caught my eye while scanning through the forum titles and possible alternatives that were proposed by users. I have definitely visited the forum less and less over the last few months completely down to these issues.

I agree, tesco thread is excellent and should stay as it is. The amazon, argos and Halfords threads serve no useful purpose for me and I would prefer if new threads were created for individual alerts.
    I think it's because of the diversity and range available from argos and amazon, I know that they always have offers and bargains and if I want to purchase something, I will generally price check against amazon anyway as they make a point of being cheapest when possible.
    I guess what I'm trying to say is that posts on the tesco thread generally reflect what i consider real bargains (clearance stock selling well below amazon prices, or good grocery offers, which can be hard to keep track of otherwise), whereas the amazon thread alerts me to the fact that amazon is usually worth checking for price comparison purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    I agree, tesco thread is excellent and should stay as it is.

Is the Tesco thread this one? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057428674&page=118

I've never gone into it before, but just went in out of curiosity (took me a while to find it eventually on page 3 or 4).

The last post is about a bargain TV, not groceries, so a bargain TV is something that everyone would want to know about not just people that frequent Tesco and would subscribe to that thread, so that should have been put in it's own thread on bargain alerts to alert more people.

Things like cheap booze/bananas/bread (i.e. groceries) are all that should be in superthreads so when you are planning on heading to Tesco you can open the thread to check what food items are on sale.

Incidentally as there seems to be a lack of interest from the powers that be on doing anything about this, I see an opening in the market for a HotUKDeals website Irish-edition as an alternative.

I don't have time to develop it so perhaps someone wants to take the mantle? I'd say it would be a great opportunity revenue-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

mrcheez wrote: »
    Is the Tesco thread this one? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057428674&page=118

I've never gone into it before, but just went in out of curiosity (took me a while to find it eventually on page 3 or 4).

The last post is about a bargain TV, not groceries, so a bargain TV is something that everyone would want to know about not just people that frequent Tesco and would subscribe to that thread, so that should have been put in it's own thread on bargain alerts to alert more people.

Things like cheap booze/bananas/bread (i.e. groceries) are all that should be in superthreads so when you are planning on heading to Tesco you can open the thread to check what food items are on sale.

Yeah, that's the one, I suppose for someone like me who lives between about 5 tesco's and is in one of them almost every day, the thread always has items of interest, so I (and I'm pretty sure many others), check the thread on a daily basis, I'm not as interested in grocery items from there, as I usually have an idea of what's going on where in that regard, but the clearance items can be spectacular prices. I see your point, but from my own selfish p.o.v. the Tesco thread is excellent as is!!

• Advertisement

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    Yeah, that's the one, I suppose for someone like me who lives between about 5 tesco's and is in one of them almost every day, the thread always has items of interest, so I (and I'm pretty sure many others), check the thread on a daily basis, I'm not as interested in grocery items from there, as I usually have an idea of what's going on where in that regard, but the clearance items can be spectacular prices. I see your point, but from my own selfish p.o.v. the Tesco thread is excellent as is!!

I go to Tesco probably every 4-5 months as I have a Supervalu near me, so have no need to check the Tesco thread. But if I was looking for a TV and one was on sale in Tesco, then I'd be very disappointed at having missed it if the alert was only posted in the Tesco thread. I'd pop into Tesco on that occasion to get the TV.

If I missed out on cheap rashers in Tesco I wouldn't be too bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Incidentally as there seems to be a lack of interest from the powers that be on doing anything about this, I see an opening in the market for a HotUKDeals website Irish-edition as an alternative.

the owners of HUKD actually tried doing an Irish version of their site, and it failed miserably.

the owners of HUKD actually tried doing an Irish version of their site, and it failed miserably.

Too clean and simple for us Irish folk that like to cram things into unwieldy superthreads?

Or perhaps they didn't market it enough :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

decision_ahead_sign_0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Why would anyone not want superthreads. They're great

• Advertisement

Synode wrote: »
    Why would anyone not want superthreads. They're great

I agree, they're the funniest things I've read on boards in a while.

Look at the Amazon bargain alerts thread (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057559694&page=14) and see how half the thread is people complaining about others adding comments, or making it a PC parts thread, etc etc :D

In fact the main user that seems to be following the "rules" of the thread is the thread creator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Incidentally as there seems to be a lack of interest from the powers that be on doing anything about this,

Maybe because there's nothing to do as more people like the style of the thread than don't?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Maybe because there's nothing to do as more people like the style of the thread than don't?

Not according to the poll hence the whole reason for the discussion.

Incidentally whatever happened to that poll, or the new one? :)

If the majority polled like superthreads, then that settles it.

EDIT: Ah here's the old one: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057565487

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Not according to the poll hence the whole reason for the discussion.

Incidentally whatever happened to that poll, or the new one? :)

If the majority polled like superthreads, then that settles it.

EDIT: Ah here's the old one: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057565487

Ah, I never saw the results of that. My post was a question and not a statement of fact as I didn't actually know what the majority preferred.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Ah, I never saw the results of that. My post was a question and not a statement of fact as I didn't actually know what the majority preferred.

That poll got closed before a lot of us had a chance to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭JustMac

That poll got closed before a lot of us had a chance to vote.

I had started that poll though I was not the one to start the discussion on superthreads. The poll was closed by a mod as it wasn't appropriate because there is a feedback forum for things like that.

I sent a PM on the 25th of March to all the Mods of the BA forum requesting that we set up a poll on the topic as this discussion thread has run its course and there is no conclusive decision on what people want. We could get a much clearer view of that with a poll.

I can understand the idea of a feedback forum but it is beyond me as to why the mods wont allow a poll about BA to be posted in the BA forum. It would get far more visibility and entries there. As it is there is a sticky thread on BA linking to this thread in Feedback. Why can't we just update that sticky thread to be a poll about superthreads?

I have resent the PM to the mods of BA requesting this. I can't understand what the resistance to this is about. Its not like it would require any site development. It would simply mean going back to the way things were working well for many years. As with others I have no problem with superthreads for the supermarkets but thats about it. A simple poll could sort out what the majority of people want. I now check HotUKDeals about 3/4 times more frequently than BA, much because of the superthreads.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I'm the opposite but I'm happy to accept a majority decision if they gave us a chance to vote.
    It's really strange that they won't have a poll. We would all be out of their hair then.

Perhaps the "new look" boards has an integrated superthread-blocking system :)

EDIT: Hmm just had a gander at the new look site (clicking "Responsive Site" in footer of homepage), seems a little harder on the eyes as the black on white contrasts a bit harshly. Each forum post thread listing is also roughly the height of 2 of the old ones and more sparsely laid out, meaning that you see less without having to scroll.

Anyway slightly off topic, but I guess it's the feedback thread :)

384019.png

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Still no white smoke on this?

You'd form a government quicker !

Why not create a poll hosted on another website like http://www.poll-maker.com/ or something else? (I've never used that site, just found it after a quick google)

Perhaps suggest the question/answers here and then someone create the poll.

My suggested question is...
    "Should superthreads be allowed on Bargain Alerts?"

My suggested answers are...
    1) Yes, leave them as they are
    2) No, one-thread-per-bargain (no matter how minor)
    3) Keep superthreads for supermarket groceries/clothing-only
    4) (insert your suggestions...)

I personally would go for 3, so you get your Tesco TV deals in their own thread but your "ferrior rucher @ 420" would go under supermarket groceries.

• Advertisement

So, the first time I sent private messages to all 3 of the BA mods Blade, Davy and WitnessMeNow was 30 days ago.

I sent a private message reminder to the same 3 mods this day last week.

Neither message has been responded to by anybody.

While I appreciate that the mods are working voluntarily, as a teacher of Customer Service and a member of these forums for over 10 years I think, I find that their lack of care/interest is underwhelming to say the least.

I presume they're happy with the status quo and are not interested in hearing or encouraging discussion on possible changes to the forum.

This discussion should be taking place in the BA forum in place of the sticky which is currently taking space in the forum. It should also include a Poll. If there is no reply in the next couple of days then I will start a Poll there anyway.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I always thought it would be a good idea to have a separate forum for the Superthreads to keep the main forum cleaner. Some stuff is better off in a superthread, yes sometimes a separate post might be better. So maybe create a Bargain Alerts [Super Threads] forum?

Zascar wrote: »
    I always thought it would be a good idea to have a separate forum for the Superthreads to keep the main forum cleaner. Some stuff is better off in a superthread, yes sometimes a separate post might be better. So maybe create a Bargain Alerts [Super Threads] forum?

That's just passing the problem onto another forum rather than solving it though? We'll still get some of the good bargains hidden away in superthreads instead of being out in the open visible to all.

Not to mention the overhead for mods to keep chat out of superthreads (it's less work for mods in the end if superthreads are done away with... or at least if superthreads are relegated to minor bargains like cheap booze)

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Celtic Tiger

The Amazon thread is trending for the 1000th time and once again theres nothing of interest for myself. I've clicked into it countless times now over the few months and after trawling through the people complaining about it (which I'd agree with) and the others offering examples that the bargain posted is not actually a bargain (also fair enough) I finally get to whatever "bargain" has bumped the thread and yeh....no interest.

The thread is such a timesink. The only reason i keep checking is because I'd buy a lot of stuff off Amazon and I'm afraid ill miss something.

If its 1 bargain per thread I can swiftly scan through the first 1-2 pages of BA per day and im done. The brilliance of BA is that bargains are highlighted, not lost in superthreads.

I do agree with keeping the supermarket superthreads. But please for everything else 1 bargain per thread.

Also the former thread in BA on this topic seemed to have a lot more people with a similar opinion as myself, I'd say a lot of the more casual BA users havent even noticed the sticky there directing to this thread. I know I didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

The Amazon thread is trending for the 1000th time and once again theres nothing of interest for myself. I've clicked into it countless times now over the few months and after trawling through the people complaining about it (which I'd agree with) and the others offering examples that the bargain posted is not actually a bargain (also fair enough) I finally get to whatever "bargain" has bumped the thread and yeh....no interest.

The thread is such a timesink. The only reason i keep checking is because I'd buy a lot of stuff off Amazon and I'm afraid ill miss something.

If its 1 bargain per thread I can swiftly scan through the first 1-2 pages of BA per day and im done. The brilliance of BA is that bargains are highlighted, not lost in superthreads.

I do agree with keeping the supermarket superthreads. But please for everything else 1 bargain per thread.

Also the former thread in BA on this topic seemed to have a lot more people with a similar opinion as myself, I'd say a lot of the more casual BA users havent even noticed the sticky there directing to this thread. I know I didn't.

Why would you check the Amazon thread here when Amazon have so many other ways of getting them to you?

...after trawling through the people complaining about it (which I'd agree with) and the others offering examples that the bargain posted is not actually a bargain (also fair enough) I finally get to whatever "bargain" has bumped the thread and yeh....no interest.

The thread is such a timesink....

This is it in a nutshell
    I'd say a lot of the more casual BA users havent even noticed the sticky there directing to this thread. I know I didn't.

OK can we please get the poll back and finish this once and for all?

If the majority of BA users aren't even aware this feedback thread exists, it's completely pointless

It's 2 months now we've been talking about it, including the original poll

As an aside I spend every waking moment thankful that the best Argos bargain I've ever encountered wasn't posted in the Argos superthread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057435217

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Perhaps creating sub forums for the larger sites/supermarkets such as Amazon, Tesco etc that allows single threads for each offer to be posted might be a better option then mega threads?

Cabaal wrote: »
    Perhaps creating sub forums for the larger sites/supermarkets such as Amazon, Tesco etc that allows single threads for each offer to be posted might be a better option then mega threads?

I suggested that back in post 35, it's certainly an option.

Perhaps add that to the poll as the 4th answer?

I guess this is as good as it'll get? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99535051&postcount=221

It's not going to stop new members assuming that's where they post Amazon bargains, also it's unenforceable as there will still be "good" bargains included, rather than minor bargains.

The Argos superthread is actually far worse, had a look there for a few minutes and there are some damn nice bargains that I (and most people) would have missed.

• Advertisement

JustMac wrote: »
    So, the first time I sent private messages to all 3 of the BA mods Blade, Davy and WitnessMeNow was 30 days ago.

I sent a private message reminder to the same 3 mods this day last week.

Neither message has been responded to by anybody.

Well, it only took 32 days to get a response to my private messages.

I have been informed that it is under discussion by mods and they will update us as soon as they know though I'm not holding my breath.

Advertisement