Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superthreads on Bargain Alerts

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Synode wrote: »
    There's approx 4 or 5 superthreads. So your post makes no sense

So instead of hopping into the forum and clicking through the first few pages of bargains scanning the titles of the threads and maybe clicking through to read one or two of them...

Now I have to do all of the above plus click through to each of the mega threads and scan the pages of chats/bargains in the thread since I last posted without knowing if there is even a bargain in there I am interested in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

So instead of hopping into the forum and clicking through the first few pages of bargains scanning the titles of the threads and maybe clicking through to read one or two of them...

Now I have to do all of the above plus click through to each of the mega threads and scan the pages of chats/bargains in the thread since I last posted without knowing if there is even a bargain in there I am interested in

You don't have to click into the megathreads if you don't want to. My point is, they shouldn't be removed just to suit people like you. Sure you might miss some bargains. But that's the price you pay for not being willing to read some chat

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭JustMac

You don't have to click into the megathreads if you don't want to. My point is, they shouldn't be removed just to suit people like you. Sure you might miss some bargains. But that's the price you pay for not being willing to read some chat

There would be no price to pay if the megathreads were removed. I agree with mirrorwall14 in that I have no problem with chat in a thread as long as the thread title describes what the bargain is. Your point, 'to suit people like you', again seems to suggest that your view is the majority view when it isn't. Less than half of the people who voted in the poll (145 out of 341) said that they 'like the way it is'. You are therefore with the minority and I hope that they aren't left just to 'suit people like you'.

Many of your posts seem to not discuss the issue but rather make some sort of disparaging remark about the person who is raising the issue, bordering on Trolling. Why not just stick to discussing the megathreads issue and not personalise the issue.

If you're going to start talking numbers then quite clearly people want megathreads to remain in some form: 145 + 71 + 13 + 28 = 257 / 389 or 66%. So that's a clear majority. Just because some people are vocally criticising them doesn't mean they should get their way. Many people use and enjoy them. Like I said to Dav on another thread, I don't like many forums & threads on Boards. But I don't start campaigns to remove them. I just ignore them.

And I'll say it again - Boards is a discussion site. This campaign to rid a forum of a particular type of discussion is ludicrous in my opinion.

You're point on trolling isn't worth replying to

If you're going to start talking numbers then quite clearly people want megathreads to remain in some form: 145 + 71 + 13 + 28 = 257 / 389 or 66%. So that's a clear majority.

I agree that some/most people want want them to remain 'in some form'. I'm one of them. I voted 'No, I don't like them' and 'Keep Megathreads for supermarket groceries/food delivery' as I believe they are appropriate for groceries and such. But not for Amazon, Argos.....

The poll was very poorly executed making a little difficult to say exactly what people want.
    Just because some people are vocally criticising them doesn't mean they should get their way.

Well, some people appear to be equally good at being vocal in supporting the status quo. As it should be.
    Many people use and enjoy them. Like I said to Dav on another thread, I don't like many forums & threads on Boards. But I don't start campaigns to remove them. I just ignore them.

If you don't like something then you should say so. If a discussion shows you are in a minority then things stay as they are and if you are in a majority then things should change if possible. I think that the site owners would prefer to change things to keep the majority happy rather than losing members.
    And I'll say it again - Boards is a discussion site. This campaign to rid a forum of a particular type of discussion is ludicrous in my opinion.
    And I'll say it again - I have no problem with discussion. It is trying to change the use of a particular type of thread rather than the discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I don't buy online.
    I know when I go to the Tesco/Argos etc megathreads I can find out if there is the possibility of getting a bargain in my local store.
    I spend a lot of my time going into individual threads only to find that the bargain I'm hoping for can only be ordered from China/Germany/US/UK which is a waste of my valuable time.
    But do I moan about it? No! I'm prepared to spend a bit of time opening every individual irrelevant thread in the hope that the occasional bargain is from a bricks 'n' mortar store.
    I would be delighted if every company had its own megathread. Then I wouldn't have to keep opening threads that aren't relevant to me. However I know this doesn't suit everybody so I'm prepared to live with the inconvenience. I'm not coming on demanding that every individual thread be closed down. I'm prepared to compromise.
    Maybe the people who want the megathreads gone should think about compromise also?

Maybe the people who want the megathreads gone should think about compromise also?

I think some sort of compromise is inevitable, but I can't imagine what the compromise is. That's why I had suggested doing 2 polls, the first to decide if the majority want change and the second to find out what change is preferred (presuming the answer was yes to the first)

I will admit that I am genuinely surprised that so many people like the megathreads, but I do think that more want some sort of change.

Leaving megathreads for supermarkets, booze and specific items I would have thought was compromise but I would like to hear what you had in mind. (If it was recommended that the name of the shop/site was in the title of a thread would that make it acceptable?)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

But do I moan about it? No! I'm prepared to spend a bit of time...

That's just the issue. Time and efficiency. Most people are busy working and don't have the time to wade through all the chat. We need clear titles of each bargain so we can jump in and out quickly. Bargain alerts are often just that: alerts. Sometimes you only have a few hours to grab it so to see the bargain title is a must-have rather than spending several min jumping into superthreads and going back over the pages to find latest bargains.

So for compromise something else I suggested was to have a subforum for the larger stores. Tesco and Amazon and Argos (more can be added as required). This way you please everyone: all bargains grouped by store (which is reason for the superthreads), one thread per bargain (allows quick scan of latest bargains), plus chat about each bargain (what everyone wants).

This is the best compromise and it's been talked to death at this stage so can we just run a trial for 2 months or something now pls?

JustMac wrote: »
    I agree that some/most people want want them to remain 'in some form'. I'm one of them. I voted 'No, I don't like them' and 'Keep Megathreads for supermarket groceries/food delivery' as I believe they are appropriate for groceries and such. But not for Amazon, Argos.....

The poll was very poorly executed making a little difficult to say exactly what people want.

Well, some people appear to be equally good at being vocal in supporting the status quo. As it should be.

If you don't like something then you should say so. If a discussion shows you are in a minority then things stay as they are and if you are in a majority then things should change if possible. I think that the site owners would prefer to change things to keep the majority happy rather than losing members.

And I'll say it again - I have no problem with discussion. It is trying to change the use of a particular type of thread rather than the discussion.

I agree it's ridiculous that people were allowed vote for two options. Makes a mockery of the whole thing. I picked one - 'Yes I like them' and that was it.

In relation to complaining about stuff I don't like - I don't feel the need to as I understand that not everybody's the same. I'm not the type of person to demand something that other people use all the time be removed just because I don't like it.

This is all over some minor bargains that some people might miss. Seems so petty to me

mrcheez wrote: »
    That's just the issue. Time and efficiency. Most people are busy working and don't have the time to wade through all the chat. We need clear titles of each bargain so we can jump in and out quickly. Bargain alerts are often just that: alerts. Sometimes you only have a few hours to grab it so to see the bargain title is a must-have rather than spending several min jumping into superthreads and going back over the pages to find latest bargains.

As I've said, Boards is a discussion forum. If you don't have the time to read through discussion then that's your issue. Boards should not change to suit you. If you are adamant that you want to see every single bargain, then you should change to suit Boards

• Advertisement

As I've said, Boards is a discussion forum. If you don't have the time to read through discussion then that's your issue. Boards should not change to suit you. If you are adamant that you want to see every single bargain, then you should change to suit Boards

In Fairness, I think that for all other forums the title of the thread succinctly describes what the thread is about and therefore you can avoid that discussion if it doesn't interest you.

Is Bargain Alerts the only forum that uses 'megathreads'?

But the title does clearly describe what they are? Aliexpress bargain thread is pretty clear to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

JustMac wrote: »

Is Bargain Alerts the only forum that uses 'megathreads'?

No, off the top of my head we have one stickied in A&P for Irish Water queries and have floating ones on utility companies, managment companies, the property market and saving for a mortgage/buying a house in 2016

athtrasna wrote: »
    No, off the top of my head we have one stickied in A&P for Irish Water queries and have floating ones on utility companies, managment companies, the property market and saving for a mortgage/buying a house in 2016

Thanks for the reply, though I have no idea what the A&P forum is. I was just interested to see what/how they are used elsewhere.

These sound like the 'Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)' thread or the 'Booze deals [Megathread]', neither of which I think anyone would have a problem with, though it is hard to exactly compare like with like.

Accommodation and property...the forum I mod ;)

You completely missed what I said. For someone who says they love to read through discussions you clearly have selective reading and pick out only snippets.

I'm not going to bother repeating it. Re-read my last post. I think you are trolling as JustMac suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I think you are trolling as JustMac suggested.

Attack the post, not the poster.

You completely missed what I said. For someone who says they love to read through discussions you clearly have selective reading and pick out only snippets.

I'm not going to bother repeating it. Re-read my last post. I think you are trolling as JustMac suggested.

Hilarious. You say I misread something you said (which I didn't) then say I said something that I didn't.

Anyway. We'll leave it there

Was anyone here actually aware that a poll was opened on the matter on 13th May?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057571248

I only spotted it by accident yesterday while looking at the site on my phone. Normally I use my PC and ignore the "Sticky" posts (which this one was).

Surprised there was no mention of it here on this thread... also good to see the few people that did vote still maintain they want a change to the status quo.
    ("No change" = 145 votes, "Yes change them" = 219 votes)

The "Yes change them" option was split up into about 5 sub-options.

Very aware and voted. Spotted it because I'm interested in this thread so followed it. It's a simple click but means you won't miss out

• Advertisement

athtrasna wrote: »
    Very aware and voted.

Was there any particular reason the poll was hidden away in an old sticky and not announced in the very thread that was discussing it (i.e. this one) ?

Was there any particular reason the poll was hidden away in an old sticky and not announced in the very thread that was discussing it (i.e. this one) ?

No idea. I mod accommodation and property

I'm a big fan of boards. I've been around for many years. However this is the first time I've paid attention to a feedback thread.

Is it normal for it to take 3 months to even get a poll (badly run) never mind a resolution? This whole thing just seems bonkers.

Why is this taking so long?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Please select at random from the following list of boilerplate "reasons" as to why Things Don't Happen around here.

-It's at the back of a very long list.

-We need to talk to the tech team.

-It's not a trivial matter.

-These things take time you know.

-It would be a waste of MY time.

-You're not being constructive so what would be the point?

Please select at random from the following list of boilerplate "reasons" as to why Things Don't Happen around here.

-It's at the back of a very long list.

-We need to talk to the tech team.

-It's not a trivial matter.

-These things take time you know.

-It would be a waste of MY time.

-You're not being constructive so what would be the point?

I presume that they are waiting on all of these!

What a joke.

The first thread on here about superthreads was started by Thargor on the 12th February (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057560229)

Then a poll that I set up on 25th February (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057565487)

Then a thread in the Feedback forum started on the 5th of March (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057569213)

And finally the sticky thread on BA started on 10th March and then a poll secretly added to it on the 13th May. (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057571248)

The poll closed about a month ago.

Still no action. Joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Well given no one has come to me to ask for something specific, I'm not sure what it is I should be doing? The poll you mention on the BA forum says leave things the way they are by the way, so what is it we're supposed to be doing?

Dav wrote: »
    The poll you mention on the BA forum says leave things the way they are by the way, so what is it we're supposed to be doing?

One of the poll answers was split up into several sub options, so the results were watered down for those against superthreads.

- "No, I dont like them"
    - "Keep Megathreads for supermarket groceries/food delivery"
    - "A new sub forum for only Megathreads"
    - "Some other combination"

are all belonging to the "No, I don't like it the way it is".

Adding up the totals: 145 like the status quo / 231 wanted change.

Granted most people didn't know the poll existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

One of the poll answers was split up into several sub options, so the results were watered down for those against superthreads.

- "No, I dont like them"
    - "Keep Megathreads for supermarket groceries/food delivery"
    - "A new sub forum for only Megathreads"
    - "Some other combination"

are all belonging to the "No, I don't like it the way it is".

Adding up the totals: 145 like the status quo / 231 wanted change.

Granted most people didn't know the poll existed.

Your interpretation assumes some "sort of change might be good" = "against". It's far closer to "I don't mind megathreads" than "against". Repurposing the idea doesn't mean getting rid of them at all.

Personally I'd just like some communication or a decision one way or the other at this stage. Its been 4 bloody months which seems mad long for a decision-you'd expect this thread to be closed with a final decision. Though to be honest I'm close to unsubscribing and just using facebook groups instead

• Advertisement

Though to be honest I'm close to unsubscribing and just using facebook groups instead

I've been using HotUKDeals as of lately. 'Tis great.

I've ended up posting several bargains on Bargain Alerts that I spotted on HotUKDeals .... I might eventually stop doing that and just look at HotUKDeals as Bargain Alerts is broken and the lack of willingness to fix it is turning me off.

Advertisement