Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superthreads on Bargain Alerts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭JustMac

Dav wrote: »
    I'm not sure what it is I should be doing? ...., so what is it we're supposed to be doing?

I think this speaks volumes. You are the manager of this place?

Users have given many suggestions on how to proceed on more than 1 occassion. All these have been ignored by mods. Are you now saying you want user suggestions on how to progress? Get the mods to read existing suggestions.

Well given no one has come to me to ask for something specific, I'm not sure what it is I should be doing?

You gotta be joking.

A discussion was started over 4 months ago.

I set up a simple poll, 'Do you want superthreads on boards?'. This was closed down by mods.

I opened the feedback thread. I made several suggestions on how to resolve the problem. Mods never engaged with any of my suggestions or anyone elses.

I sent pms to the mods which took over a month to get a reply.

A poll was set-up but the options it offered made no sense, especially as you could click on more than 1 option. The poll was effectively hidden by the fact that it was put in a Sticky Thread that had been there for months and people were genrally ignoring it at that stage. The thread title was not updated to indicate the nature of the sticky thread had changed. All this was pointed out to mods at the time but they chose to ignore any suggestions and never engaged or commented in the thread.
    The poll you mention on the BA forum says leave things the way they are by the way

The poll that did take palce shows that 145/341 (42.5%) of people stated that they like the way it is. I don't know how you get 'leave things the way they are' from that.

Well given no one has come to me to ask for something specific

I think you'll find that several people came up with sensible specific suggestions but this is obviously a contentious issue and it makes sense to make it some way democratic to try to keep most people happy. If the poll was badly set-up by mods and as a result it is difficult to see what users specifically want, then who messed up, the users or the mods who set this up and refused to communicate or engage or take on board that it was incorrectly set up.

As with others I am much preferring HotUKDeals at the moment.
    so what is it we're supposed to be doing?

Well, since you asked so bluntly. You or your mods should be engaging with users to find a solution that would keep people happy. I'm not sure if this has gone too far to revert to my original suggestion:
    Have a simple poll: 'Do you want to keep superthreads on Bargain Alerts as they are?' or 'Do you want to change the way superthreads are currently?'

With an answer to that question then if people want change then follow up with a 2nd poll to see what they want. It could be like the options in the current poll or a yes/no for each megathread type:
    'Keep Megathread for supermarket groceries/food delivery'
    'Keep Megathread for Amazon'
    'Keep Megathread for Aliexpress'
    'Keep Megathreads for Booze'

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

JustMac wrote: »
    I opened the feedback thread. I made several suggestions on how to resolve the problem. Mods never engaged with any of my suggestions or anyone elses.

The forum is for everyone and not just you, we have to find a balance to suit everyone. Other posters may like the discussion in large threads. When a new thread is started, they wont get a notification till after they subscribe to it, by then the bargain could be gone. Where they will get an notification from a previously subscribed Megathread. How do you think these Megathreads started, because users didn't like loads of threads popping up for so many similar items, often 4 or 5 threads for argos bargains alone. Its not ideal but the chat and bargain thread for Argos seems to be working for the most part, but definitely not an option that would work for all.

I have posted in this thread before with comments and feedback so you cant say mods never engaged. Just because you want something doesn't mean its best for the forum. We were not going to rush into a load of changes at once, and we had different opinions on some of the suggestions. We should have made this more clear earlier but that doesn't make the situation a joke and its still ongoing. This feedback thread is for everyone's benefit after all and not one person getting what they want.

A lot for the long running threads have been closed or moved to appropriate forums as the bargain finishes to help tidy up the main page. You may prefer hotukdeals but it was tried before for Ireland and it didn't really work out. The forum is so popular for the information posters give and not just the bargain.

As always we welcome feedback on how to improve things for everyone, any issues or suggestions can be easily forwarded to the mods using the report function in the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Maybe best your new advertiser doesn't offer products and suggest illegally watching movies

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100115426&postcount=15

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

RasTa wrote: »
    Maybe best your new advertiser doesn't offer products and suggest illegally watching movies

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100115426&postcount=15

wtf did I just read :confused:

• Advertisement

Davy wrote: »
    I have posted in this thread before with comments and feedback so you cant say mods never engaged.
    In the sticky thread on BA there are 70 posts. Not 1 comment by a mod except for the very first post setting it up and the 2nd poll which has 2 words 'Poll Added'.
    In this sticky thread there has been 1 Post by yourself and a couple of welcome posts by moderators of other forums who as per the sites faq are considered just as registered users. (“Moderators that are posting in forums they do not moderate are for all intents and purposes, regarded as Registered Users.”)

The post you made contained suggestions, many of which I agree with. ex. I am happy to have superthreads for the likes of Booze and Tesco. You or any other mod has not engaged or responded to any suggestions, particularly those which were intended to bring about some sort of compromise solution that would keep MOST of the users happy.

I think this however us my main annoyance. I would have thought the job of a moderator is to moderate the discussion, to guide, to provide some structure to something like deciding what users want and a timeline for such as decision and not just to add a suggestion like another user.

Also, I think that taking over a month to get a reply to a PM would be considered as ‘engaging’ especially when the reply was in effect ‘it’s being discussed’.

I had been very positive about Boards.ie and the work of the volunteer moderators but I am growing increasingly frustrated by the lack of progress. Its been discussed in what is practically a hidden thread, it has been voted on in what was practically a hidden poll, the poll was very poorly thought out and therefore the results cannot be easily interpreted. All this over the space of nearly 6 months.

The forum is for everyone and not just you, we have to find a balance to suit everyone.
    I am happy to find a balance to suit everyone. That’s what I’m looking for.
    Other posters may like the discussion in large threads. When a new thread is started, they wont get a notification till after they subscribe to it, by then the bargain could be gone. Where they will get an notification from a previously subscribed Megathread. How do you think these Megathreads started, because users didn't like loads of threads popping up for so many similar items, often 4 or 5 threads for argos bargains alone. Its not ideal but the chat and bargain thread for Argos seems to be working for the most part, but definitely not an option that would work for all.

I know that there are other posters who like supertheads but due to the fiasco that is the poll that was taken it is not clear how many. I would argue that the majority want change.

You appear to be defending superthreads. I appreciate that they came about because of user suggestions/feedback/annoyance with similar threads. That however doesn’t mean that futher change/progress can be made on how they are handled or what they are used for.

We were not going to rush into a load of changes at once, and we had different opinions on some of the suggestions. We should have made this more clear earlier but that doesn't make the situation a joke and its still ongoing. This feedback thread is for everyone's benefit after all and not one person getting what they want.
    Well, it certainly seems after 6 months that you aren’t going to rush into anything but do you have any idea of when a resolution to this will come about. July/August/Christmas/Next Year?

Or, has a decision already been made to leave things as they are?
    Because for a huge number of people, they're not desirable - it says so right here in this thread. I'm trying to find some sort of middle ground and workable solution...

As always we welcome feedback on how to improve things for everyone, any issues or suggestions can be easily forwarded to the mods using the report function in the forum.

I’m not sure about this. Any of my suggestions on how to run a discussion/poll to find a solution that keeps most people happy appear to have been ignored. I have no problem if any mod disagrees with any of my suggestions but mine and other peoples suggestions on how to resolve this have been completely ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I’m not sure about this. Any of my suggestions on how to run a discussion/poll to find a solution that keeps most people happy appear to have been ignored. I have no problem if any mod disagrees with any of my suggestions but mine and other peoples suggestions on how to resolve this have been completely ignored.

Probably because the results of the poll show that most people approve of Superthreads, and where they suggest changes, the changes would be minor (e.g a bit of reclassification, or retiring one or two merchant specific ones).

Nowhere in either the poll results (which offered a good way of reporting nuanced balanced views) or in the general usage pattern of ba (where Superthreads are active and evidently popular) is there enough evidence to suggest that the majority of users are clamouring for immediate change, never mind that the majority want to "get rid" of Superthreads.

For those finding the first page too cluttered, as has been brought up several times, zombie threads with long since expired bargains appear to be much more of a factor than the 5 or 6 Superthreads you're clamouring to get rid of.

• Advertisement

Probably because the results of the poll show that most people approve of Superthreads,

145 out of 341 is not most people.
    Nowhere in either the poll results (which offered a good way of reporting nuanced balanced views) or in the general usage pattern of ba (where Superthreads are active and evidently popular) is there enough evidence to suggest that the majority of users are clamouring for immediate change, never mind that the majority want to "get rid" of Superthreads.

Search if you want, but I don't think there is any post where I said that the majority of want to 'get rid' of Superthreads. I agree that they definitely have a place/purpose in BA but just not the current setup.

Probably because the results of the poll show that most people approve of Superthreads

I think this will be standard argument for no change henceforth: the skewed results from a dubious poll that only a few knew about. At least it's clear now the powers that be don't want to make a change regardless of the benefits it would bring.

Saying that, I find I'm using Bargain Alerts far less for identifying bargains, and HUKD is delivering the goods. There's no mention of the 50% off Reebok shoes in Bargain Alerts for instance, the great Humble Bundle deals at the moment aren't mentioned (I found a mention in a PC Bargains superthread situated under PC Gaming), plus a few other deals I spotted on HUKD after only one minute of scanning the titles.

If there's a worthy bargain on Amazon/Argos I'd wager it's on HUKD, so I'm happy to make the move and have the occasional perusal of Bargain Alerts, but in most cases any alerts will already have appeared on HUKD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

If it was a good bargain then why didn't you post it yourself

And you are *still* peddling the idea that anyone whose vote wasn't explicitly "change nothing" = "superthreads are fundamentally wrong".

At *best*, the poll proves that the minority don't want superthreads. Everyone else is fine with them, or if they do want a change, it's not a significant change. Most posters can clearly live with them quite happily, which is why the users of BA, and the mods of BA, are not tripping over themselves to change things to suit your vocal demands.

Synode wrote: »

He's part of a cabal of secret users that hide bargain alerts from everyone else and pat each other on the back.

Standard practice in BA, according to him....

Because the forum is broken and I've lost interest in contributing toward it

And you are *still* peddling the idea that anyone whose vote wasn't explicitly "change nothing" = "superthreads are fundamentally wrong".

At *best*, the poll proves that the minority don't want superthreads.

Maths must not have been your *best* subject at school.

145 said 'Yes, I like the way it is'
    196 indicated that they would like some change.

When I studied maths less than half was a *minority* and more than half was a *majority*

I put it to you, find a quote by me where I have said "superthreads are fundamentally wrong". Personally, I am happy to keep them for some items. My personal opinion however is unimportant. I would be happy to find out properly what the majority want and go with that. It would seem that the people who like the status quo have no interest in finding out what people want.

mrcheez wrote: »
    Because the forum is broken and I've lost interest in contributing toward it

So you're demanding the people who do use it change everything to suit you?

So you're demanding the people who do use it change everything to suit you?

Just like you are demanding to leave it as it is to suit you? or, Are you speaking for everyone on BA?

Just like you are demanding to leave it as it is to suit you? or, Are you speaking for everyone on BA?

Serious warped logic. Go into a superthread and ask the people using it do they want it changed.

Absolutely ridiculous that people are demanding they be removed to suit themselves. If you don't like them, don't use them, it's as simple as that.

And as far you Mrcheez - complaining about superthreads (because you might miss good bargains) while at the same time not posting a good bargain you found - Don't let the door hit you on the way out

• Advertisement

Serious warped logic. Go into a superthread and ask the people using it do they want it changed.

And again, you are speaking on behalf of ALL people who use BA?

Speaking of Warped Logic:
    Does it not make sense to ask all the people who use BA but don't go into the superthreads to ask them if they want it changed?

Note I am suggesting to listen to both sides.

No need for a poll and/or public discussion as Synode and Slutmonkey57b represent ALL users of BA and they have spoken.

You're just being silly now. So I'll leave it there

And as far you Mrcheez - complaining about superthreads (because you might miss good bargains) while at the same time not posting a good bargain you found - Don't let the door hit you on the way out

oh dear... you really do need to check my earlier posts about this. I already said I added a few deals I saw on HUKD (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100105349&postcount=181 ), that was before we got an update from the head of Boards saying that things were going to stay as is because of the results of a flawed poll, so I've lost confidence that things are going to change and Bargain Alerts will return to its glory days again.

Don't worry I'll still pop in to Bargain Alerts once or twice a week to see what deals there are that haven't been posted on HUKD, but to be honest they seem to be few and far between.
    You're just being silly now. So I'll leave it there

So you make disparaging remarks and run away? Nice one.

I'm not demanding anything.

You're complaining that mods and admins haven't changed anything.

I'm simply pointing out that the evidence doesn't agree with the idea that there is any desperate clamouring or need for change for most users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

At this stage I think people just want the powers that be to just set things straight, and say this goes in a megathread, this doesn't.

It's not even about changing or not, or who's right or wrong, it's about the lack of clarity in the forum charter and people wanting some sort of clarification, after six months of humming and hawwing by admins/staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

At this stage I think people just want the powers that be to just set things straight, and say this goes in a megathread, this doesn't.

It's not even about changing or not, or who's right or wrong, it's about the lack of clarity in the forum charter and people wanting some sort of clarification, after six months of humming and hawwing by admins/staff.

I agree. Just make a call and shut this down

There were attempts made by Davy before to keep the Amazon superthread for minor bargains only: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99535051&postcount=221

but I think most people just ignored it so not sure if setting it into the forum charter will make a difference.

Incidentally I spent a whopping €85 on bargains found on HUKD today... might not have been a good thing to make the switch after all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

mrcheez wrote: »
    There were attempts made by Davy before to keep the Amazon superthread for minor bargains only: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99535051&postcount=221

but I think most people just ignored it so not sure if setting it into the forum charter will make a difference.

Incidentally I spent a whopping €85 on bargains found on HUKD today... might not have been a good thing to make the switch after all

one of the mods seems to have decided that all Amazon deals have to go into the megathread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057619811

you know there's an issue if there's an apparent level of disconnect between mods and admins/staff on the issue

Lol ffs, what a mess

• Advertisement

FINALLY!....

Advertisement