Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superthreads on Bargain Alerts

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

BA has been ruined by super threads.
    Instead of chat surrounding a bargain product which was clearly visible we now have a super thread with a few bargains being lost among the chat.
    Like others, I've found more in HKUD lately than BA and was able to decide on buying based on user comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

BA has been ruined by super threads.
    Instead of chat surrounding a bargain product which was clearly visible we now have a super thread with a few bargains being lost among the chat.
    Like others, I've found more in HKUD lately than BA and was able to decide on buying based on user comments.

Yeah but they've finally closed the Amazon Bargain Alerts crapfest so the message is gradually getting through.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100482105&postcount=593

I think that as people realise how useless and un-governable superthreads are, they will naturally fade out of existence.

Good times ahead :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Congratulations mrcheez et all. You closed a thread that a lot of people liked using. You should be proud

Synode wrote: »
    You closed a thread that a lot of people liked using.

I did nothing. Common sense prevailed :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Seems a bit stupid to close one megathread.

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »
    Seems a bit stupid to close one megathread.

Gotta start somewhere I guess and the Amazon one was a complete mess.

Next up Argos megathread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

The Amazon bargain alerts have become ridiculous. The mega-thread was a hell of a lot better than the craic being pulled this morning by some posters. One poster has started 10 Amazon bargains alone in the last hour.

More than half the front page is now Amazon bargains.

Can we not just have an Amazon mega-thread with no chat and for exceptional bargains, individual threads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭eman66

Site is being administered to death. What in earth could possibly be wrong with a thread containing bargains for a particular company and questions/answers/tips/advice by/for users/potential purchasers?

Just let the bloody thing flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

The Amazon bargain alerts have become ridiculous. The mega-thread was a hell of a lot better than the craic being pulled this morning by some posters. One poster has started 10 Amazon bargains alone in the last hour.

More than half the front page is now Amazon bargains.

One poster who never posted in the mega-thread. It's a pretty obvious attempt to troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭JustMac

Its still a joke that after all the feedback and running of a poll that a mod decided to close the other thread without any mention of all the discussion. Then a mod single handedly decides that a mega thread is getting out of control and closes it. I'm happy about that but whats wrong with letting the majority of the users of BA have an input into how the forum is run. Joke. HUKD much better lately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

JustMac wrote: »
    HUKD much better lately.
    I think anything of note going back 18 months has come from there.

BA is a lost cause.

maximoose wrote: »
    One poster who never posted in the mega-thread. It's a pretty obvious attempt to troll.

Those posts have been deleted now. Pretty pathetic trolling alright.

Not sure why people are putting "Amazon" in the thread title though, does it matter where it comes from?

My own "Amazon bargain" just has the product and price as is the norm: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057627708

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Fair enough if you think I was trolling by posting bargains in the manner you specifically wanted them: one bargain per thread. I wasn't, I was simply showing individual bargains from Amazon that would normally go in a superthread.

You can't claim they weren't bargains as they were significant discounts and cheaper than you could get elsewhere.

Putting the location of the bargain (halfords, Argos, wherever) in the thread title is also perfectly normal practice. Is that not allowed now either because mrcheeze doesn't think people should do it?

So if there's no megathreads allowed, and multiple individual bargains also aren't allowed, what are we supposed to do to keep people who apparently don't use the forum because hukd is so much better happy?

Are one or two users who demand everyone else post in the same way hukd is run now running the show? This is someone who claimed people were conspiring to deliberately hide bargains away from him...

Fair enough if you think I was trolling by posting bargains in the manner you specifically wanted them: one bargain per thread. I wasn't, I was simply showing individual bargains from Amazon that would normally go in a superthread.

You can't claim they weren't bargains as they were significant discounts and cheaper than you could get elsewhere.

Putting the location of the bargain (halfords, Argos, wherever) in the thread title is also perfectly normal practice. Is that not allowed now either because mrcheeze doesn't think people should do it?

So if there's no megathreads allowed, and multiple individual bargains also aren't allowed, what are we supposed to do to keep people who apparently don't use the forum because hukd is so much better happy?

Are one or two users who demand everyone else post in the same way hukd is run now running the show? This is someone who claimed people were conspiring to deliberately hide bargains away from him...

:D:D:D

Pathetic. Great now I've spilled my coffee laughing so hard, cheers slut.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,443 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

mrcheez wrote: »

Not sure why people are putting "Amazon" in the thread title though, does it matter where it comes from?

My own "Amazon bargain" just has the product and price as is the norm: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057627708

That exactly proves my point from a while back.
    I don't shop online, so do I have to check every thread to find out who is selling the product because the OP of the thread couldn't be arsed to state it in the title?
    I normally just avoid the Amazon megathread as I don't use them but always check the Argos and Tesco ones as there might be a bargain that I can actually walk in and buy.

there might be a bargain that I can actually walk in and buy.

Fair enough, good reason

I see HUKD use the "@ Argos", or "@ eBuyer" in their titles, so perhaps good for people like yourself that don't want to buy online.

well i never...

What was the mods rationale in closing the Amazon megathread but allowing the Aliexpress, Halfords, Tesco etc megathreads?

Would a megathread and chat thread work for Amazon as it seems to do with Argos?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

eman66 wrote: »
    What was the mods rationale in closing the Amazon megathread but allowing the Aliexpress, Halfords, Tesco etc megathreads?

Would a megathread and chat thread work for Amazon as it seems to do with Argos?

If one thread is causing issues why close all of them?

It doesn't have to be all Megathreads or none. Amazon have such a large range, and so many buyers on here that it's always going to have loads of off topic discussion.

A chat/no chat threads like Argos may not work for the same reason, but not fully ruled out by mods yet.

Slow clap for how long this has been dragged out, jaysus. Special slower clap for the mods.

• Advertisement

Davy wrote: »

A chat/no chat threads like Argos may not work for the same reason, but not fully ruled out by mods yet.

This Thread is nearly 5 months old!!!!:eek: And it's not even the first thread about it...and I think I remember threads were locked/deleted or something and users ignored aswell.

Will it have it's first birthday before ya get round to it!!!

Is it real life getting in the way again???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

just an observation, but the problematic megathreads seem to be the ones which are started by a regular member as a megathread, effectively backseat modding.

the ones that have worked out have generally been ones that were originally started as a single bargain, and organically grew into a megathread by general concensus from the members as a whole.

effectively backseat modding.

Ah now!

Better break out the ban hammer for that poster, would a month suffice do you think??

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭JustMac

This Thread is nearly 5 months old!!!!:eek: And it's not even the first thread about it...and I think I remember threads were locked/deleted or something and users ignored aswell.

It seems that the mods have just completely ignored all feedback and user discussion. Seems like they are going through a power trip just deciding themselves what they think "might work". Still a joke.

JustMac wrote: »
    It seems that the mods have just completely ignored all feedback and user discussion. Seems like they are going through a power trip just deciding themselves what they think "might work". Still a joke.
    Sadly, this does seem to be situation.
    If you have an opinion (for or against) please post in the thread so the mods can try implement a solution that works best for the forum and its users.

The largest vote was to keep things they way they were yet you went with the 3.81% of voters who wanted the Amazon thread closed. Doesn't add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Rules rules rules.

This place is like a parochial GAA committee on steroids.

The saddest part is, all involved mean well, they're just blinkered by the culture that's pervaded here for years.

Advertisement