Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What solution would you design for this problem?

Options
  • 05-03-2016 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

10tb of data with an addition of 3-4tb per year.

Looking for a cost effective and reliable solution with much of the 10tb of data being archived away....

so I suppose it would be fair to say that about 3 or 4tb of working data would need to be available at any given time.

these numbers are subject to change but in or around....

i'm thinking a nas and a tape drive? - those bloody tape drives are expensive though.....but there isn't really any other archiving solution is there?

i'm not sure about using raid, network speed requirements nor if daily backups to tape are the best solution.......i know these decisions are all essentials (but i'm assuming any decent nas will include hardward raid and 10Gb ethernet anyway) but i'm gathering info based on limited knowledge....i also don't know at the moment how big a working file would be. i don't know about the switch being used either. what kind of switch would normally be implemented in such a setup though?

at the moment usb drives are being used rofl (3tb ones)......

i think at a guess it's probably fair to say (given that it's a small business) - a max of two machines raping the nas at any given time.

the business is 4k video for the record....and the're using macs as workstations....again, i don't know the working file size at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You have two options:

A. Rip to workstations, edit there, move completed projects to NAS

B. Rip to NAS(from worksation), edit over the network

B has the advantage that if the NAS is backed up everything is, no case of 1wk into project and Macs disk dies and an entire events footage is gone. But to do it is significantly more expensive. A is much cheaper usually as NAS doesnt need caching and you dont need(want) 10Gb ethernet.

At a minimum:
    1. UPS
    2. RAID Card (With RAID6 or 10)
    3. Drives - (5x 4TB to start with for R6)
    4. 1Gb unmanaged switch
    5. Unlimited offsite solution

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Can you do this in the cloud? If so would AWS S3 work for you as 4TB of S3 would be less than €200 / month so very cost effective.

https://aws.amazon.com/s3/

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

You could build an unraid server? storage can be added as needed very easily. very easy to upgrade hardware as required and it keeps working exactly as set up.

has cache drive capability to keep transfer speeds high. the new 6.2 (still in beta, but full release soon) version of it will have dual parity drive for redundancy. If you want for extra safety perhaps have a owncloud docker server running with another offsite storage location.

And if it is a requirement that two or more workstations have simultaneous full 1Gb speeds perhaps think of doing something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4VnWQPW-f4

if thats not enough for you then think about 10Gb network solution.

I currently use this as a home server solution but it could be perfect for your needs?
    Whats your budget for this?

Advertisement