Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old security light dead, can I just replace with this?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭jimbev

Yes that light is fine but it has not got a sensor on it so it will not come on with movement

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi its a straightforward change nnothig to major.

Most of these LED fittings come with cable attached so a junction box fitted where cables are coming out of wall where old fitting is.

I would suggest a seperate PIR sensor as they are much better to the ones that are fixed to fittings.

Light output is excellent on these units.

10w would be close to 100w and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thanks folks, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,459 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

They sell that type of outdoor light very frequently in Aldi and Lidl, I'd feel much more secure with their products as they will have the German approval stamped on it rather than buying from an unknown source on eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

coylemj wrote: »
    They sell that type of outdoor light very frequently in Aldi and Lidl, I'd feel much more secure with their products as they will have the German approval stamped on it rather than buying from an unknown source on eBay.

I've bought plenty off ebay and are great units but do check seller is reputable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

OP I'm sure if you were to this buy from a wholesaler, having called beforehand you could get one with a receipt for about that price. There's information about suppliers in the sticky.
    The electrician changing the fitting would most likely prefer something from a wholesaler to as sometimes the connections in the eBay fittings are small, or they are just a lead and you end up buying a waterproof connection box to join them as advised above.
    For that money the quality of the LED won't be great. The fall off in intensity can be significant, but decent units are silly money.

Advertisement