Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor/Fireball in Limerick

• 05-03-2016 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi.
    I was wondering if anyone else heard the thunder like sound on Tuesday (1st of march) night around Limerick area.

It seems that the noise was not caused by lightning strike but more likely by meteor explosion.

Did you hear it/see it as well?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Yeah lots of reports of big rocks appearing in gardens.

They were on live 95 FM saying they could be sold for a lot of money.

I don't know how true it is or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

The one found on the pitch in Thomand Park is about the size of a coconut and reputed to be worth approximately €20 million.
    One 'life-long fan' told me last night that not only will it pay off the debt on the stadium, it will also allow them to buy a team to rival French outfit Toulon..!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Guys and gals, is there any weight to this story.

I have never heard a thunderstrike like last week. A series of 8-9 booms in rapid succession but no light and essentially our apartment block shook.

This wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Felt the room shake in Dooradoyle all right. Didnt see anything though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

I was still up at the time, twas some rumble . Fried my PC as well .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

jonski wrote: »
    I was still up at the time, twas some rumble . Fried my PC as well .

Must have been thunder and lightning so?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭itac

It was surreal, almost felt it before it hit, it was like a huge build up of pressure suddenly going mad-windows and objects in the room shook out in Annacotty where I was...noticed one flash of light and heard a few more rumbles after it....no sign of any rocks out here though!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I was awake, and there wad definitely a flash of light before the noise. There had been thunder snd lightning in Ennis a few hours earlier too.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

Was in my car in raheen on a break from work at around 2.15am. Red flash followed by what sounded like an extreme rumble of thunder followed by hailstones......facebook then expoded with misfortunes being woke out of their sleep ☺

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

My cousin lives in west Limerick and put the same thing on Facebook about the extremely loud thunder and lightning but it happened out there at half 11. Can't imagine meteorites doing the same thing twice over a long period. More than likely was just thunder. Some amount of pressure in it though. The force of it woke me up. My grandad is 91 and said he never remembers anything like it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Could just be a pre-event to Asteroid TX 68, a 30-metre long lump of space rock, is due to whistle past Earth possibly as close as 19,000 miles away. March 8th. If that lands in your garden, well you'll have no garden. Might be able to buy a desert island instead. Wear a yellow hard hat just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Very loud in Westbury. If asked I would have said TWO loud bangs, seemed very close, but no light. Strange, but a meteorite would have caused light too

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

My cousin lives in west Limerick and put the same thing on Facebook about the extremely loud thunder and lightning but it happened out there at half 11. Can't imagine meteorites doing the same thing twice over a long period. More than likely was just thunder. Some amount of pressure in it though. The force of it woke me up. My grandad is 91 and said he never remembers anything like it.

I put it between 10 and 11, the flash and thunder were almost simultaneous, and some hail straight after. I think thunder and lightning here anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

In Cobally too and the windows and mirrors shook in the bedroom was so frightening thought it was an earthquake. It was about 2.15 2.20 there abouts. Never remember thunder as bad as it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

It was an unreal sound of thunder but there was a storm at the time and there were reports of thunder across the country that night. On the weather forum someone in Clare reported hearing an extremely long, loud thunder clap at 11ish. So I'd say it was just an unusual storm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

There was an extremely bright white flash and cracking thunder at approx. 2.20am

It was notable but not unusual.

However, closer to 3am there was a minute long roll of thunder unlike anything I have ever experienced in Ireland before. Unusually there was no flash beforehand. It was so loud it rattled the entire house like an earthquake.

If it was a meteorite, such was the noise, the place would have lit up as bright as day and pretty much every window would have shattered like that meteorite in Russia 2-3 years ago.

I'll put it down to exceptionally loud thunder but it was definitely unusual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I was half asleep in bed at the time in Castletroy near the golf club (high ground) the bedroom lit up for a good few seconds as if someone switched the main light on, next thing I was awoken!

Lightning and thunder I'd put it down to!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

I assumed the first few posts were taking the piss?

It was obviously thunder and lightening. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Esb substation got a belt of lightning causing huge damage especially in the roxboro area Id imagine this was the huge flash that was visible throughout the city...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

steveon wrote: »
    Esb substation got a belt of lightning causing huge damage especially in the roxboro area Id imagine this was the huge flash that was visible throughout the city...

That would certainly explain the sizzling noise!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Yep, blew a few light bulbs and if it wasn't for the surge protectors I would be out buying a new tv and computer.

One of the lads had his xbox, TV and sky box blown from it. Both of us in Janesboro.

I jumped out of the bed when it happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

I missed the entire thing because I'm such a heavy sleeper..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

http://science.howstuffworks.com/nature/natural-disasters/lightning7.htm

I heard that the lightning conductor on the top of St Johns Cathedral was hit

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Yep, lightning. Here's the Met Eireann lightning report for the 2nd. Check out all the strikes around Limerick at 2am.

http://www.met.ie/climate/lightning.asp?ReportDate=02%2F03%2F2016

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

I was talking to a guy from Virgin who was in next door to replace their modem and he was insisting that it couldn't have come through the virgin cable because he says that the little white box on the wall inside is an insulator and wouldn't leave a surge come through . He was maintaining that it must have come through the electric cables even though my next door neighbours gear was plugged into a surge protector . Strange .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

If its strong enough it will go through a surge protector.

It certainly sounded strong enough.

Surge protectors provide a certain amount of protection, say 5000 joules. It can take 50x100 joule hits before it stops working. But it wouldn't work rather than just letting surges through (normally).

But it takes a huge hit to go through one without it protecting. So its hard to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

so it was a meteorwrong then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

sumtings wrote: »

Ba dum tisch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

sumtings wrote: »

It wasn't a meteor I already reported what it was an ESB substation got a belt in Roxboro, this took out the Eircom Lines and Virgin network power supply's in the area resulting in hundreds of routers and phone systems to go down which caused many peoples alarms to go off as they were connected, this was the large white flash seen by many and felt by most Living in Roxboro and felt by me near the Peoples Park.

I have all my devices plugged into Surge Protectors but it took out the Transformer inside my sound system, destroyed phone box and my router all damaged ... Finally back online as of this week as to be fair to Eircom and Virgin Engineers they have been out in force this it happened....unprecedented damage...

• Advertisement

It wasn't a meteor I already reported what it was an ESB substation got a belt in Roxboro...

I think you missed the joke, Steve. ;)

Advertisement