Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IFAB approves trials for video referees.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Some other interesting changes include.

a fourth substitution in extra time (trial from next season).
    denying goalscoring opportunity not necessarily a red card offence (from next season).
    fouled&injured player doesn't have to leave pitch after treatment (starts this summer at the Euros).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

fouled&injured player doesn't have to leave pitch after treatment (starts this summer at the Euros).

Can see this encouraging timewasting more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Yeah, I don't know if I'm in the Stone Age but I don't see any of these positives possibly with the exception of the 4th substitute in extra time.

When I've had to watch the rugby, there have been some reasonably long breaks for the video ref. It also seems as though there are more contentious decisions in football also so this would be need to be used more often.

As a match going fan both here and abroad, I don't want to be dealing with this. It's all well and good when you're in the pub or at home with a few cans or out in the pub, but on a cold winters night this would bug the sh*t out of you. I don't find that the human aspect of refereeing has particularly affected my enjoyment of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I agree but its a toughie - it was always a bit farcical when say Crouch or Koller is fouled, wins a free and has to go off whilst the free is taken meaning his team don't have their preferred target to aim at. So this goes a way to rectifying it.

Personally I always think the way around timewasting is for referees to add on realistic time at the end - I'm always surprised by the amount of 'continental' referees who signal '2 minutes' at the end of stop/start second halfs. In England 4 and 5 is more the norm but even then there are times it seems on the low side to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

One use I'd like to see for the video ref is if theres a close offside, the ref or linesman notes it with a word to the video ref but lets plays go for a phase or 2 to see if it leads directly to a goal. The video ref can already be checking the offside while the play is continuing. If a goal is scored then the ref has a quick word to ask if it should stand.

• Advertisement

One use I'd like to see for the video ref is if theres a close offside, the ref or linesman notes it with a word to the video ref but lets plays go for a phase or 2 to see if it leads directly to a goal. The video ref can already be checking the offside while the play is continuing. If a goal is scored then the ref has a quick word to ask if it should stand.

Good point. Infringements in the buildup to a goal are meant to be covered by these trials, so whether a goal was offside or not would i guess be relevant here.

Advertisement