Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving Home

• 05-03-2016 10:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, as the thread title says, we're moving house in the next couple of weeks. All very exciting but we have to move the three cats as well. They're indoor cats so hopefully it won't be too difficult to get them to adapt but we're extremely mindful of the fact it's going to be very stressful for them.
    Also, the problem is that we're getting work done on the new house before we move in so won't be living there for a week or two.
    Anyone any tips?
    We have a run built in our current place and we hopefully get the keys to the new house next Friday and vacate our own house the following Friday so a lot of the work will be done by the time we get to leave.
    The idea is to not move the cats until as late as possible so they spend as little time as possible in the new home while the work is going on. The new house has a sun room so we're going to keep them there but next Saturday I intend to build a run from the sun room all the way down to the back wall along the side wall, then along the back wall and into one of the block sheds where I'll put their beds and litter trays etc.
    Also, I intend shovelling up some of the branches and wood bark from their current run and bring it with me to scatter in the new run so at least they have some familiar smells.
    Apart from that ... any ideas?
    More worried about them than the move itself!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Invest in a feliway diffuser for the room you'll have them in. Honestly helped our new cat settle in fantastically. We didn't have one at first and she was freaked out, we went and got one early the next day and she settled down so fast after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Feed them their favourite things in tiny portions all around the new area, lots of catnip and toys, some of your clothes left lying around for familiar scents. Most cats settle pretty quick, ours acted like they owned the place in about 30mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Feliway all the way if you can, and as you say leave them till last to move..

We were in the same boat, bar building work going on. We had to move from our rented place back home.

I had the diffuser part already for the feliaway, so I just needed the re-fill..Take a look online at Zoo Plus they do deals on them much cheaper than the shops. It is recommended to plug these in your house where ye are now two weeks before any major disturbance starts. Also might be an idea to plug on into the new place for when they arrive there...

Our chap started to get a little suss and agitated, once we plugged these in he was grand. Got him some nice treats, made sure to leave out a blanket he was familiar with or our bed..

He has fitted in fine, if anything he has been more sleepy. he has lots of gardens to roam if he wants but nope he sleeps most of the time... for now

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Eric Marley

Heroditas wrote: »
    Hi guys, as the thread title says, we're moving house in the next couple of weeks. All very exciting but we have to move the three cats as well. They're indoor cats so hopefully it won't be too difficult to get them to adapt but we're extremely mindful of the fact it's going to be very stressful for them.
    Also, the problem is that we're getting work done on the new house before we move in so won't be living there for a week or two.
    Anyone any tips?
    We have a run built in our current place and we hopefully get the keys to the new house next Friday and vacate our own house the following Friday so a lot of the work will be done by the time we get to leave.
    The idea is to not move the cats until as late as possible so they spend as little time as possible in the new home while the work is going on. The new house has a sun room so we're going to keep them there but next Saturday I intend to build a run from the sun room all the way down to the back wall along the side wall, then along the back wall and into one of the block sheds where I'll put their beds and litter trays etc.
    Also, I intend shovelling up some of the branches and wood bark from their current run and bring it with me to scatter in the new run so at least they have some familiar smells.
    Apart from that ... any ideas?
    More worried about them than the move itself!

For the psychological part, when you move to the new place try to settle as fast as possible, they'll also follow and feel settled too. Again, be around the cats as much as you used to be while in your current place do not be so busy arranging things around to the point of forgetting them. Don't dare change anything of theirs, that is, meals,toys etc. You can change later when they've fully adapted. I'd suggest that if it's possible you paint the walls of the room they'll be spending most of the time in with a paint same color as that of your current place.

Advertisement