Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you miss that used to be in Donegal?

Options
  • 05-03-2016 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

Ok I'm stealing this idea from the Sligo forum, which seems to be generating a nice wee bit of nostalgia for them!

So being from letterkenny , things I'd miss the most are the festivals that used to be in the town. Another was going to do the shopping in Dillons supermarket with my mum, if I close my eyes I can actually still picture the aisles and layout, and the smell of food coming from the cafe!

Football Special in Peadars bar at the bottom of the port road, walking 3 miles to the local shop past Unifi and watching all the trucks coming and going.

Going into Frankies barbers with my dad, or Tony's barbers with my older brothers, which was usually followed by a fizzy drink in the port bar beside neros nightclub.

So anyone else miss anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

The smell of sweets when passing oatfields

• Registered Users Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

The bandstand in the diamond in Raphoe. When I was a kid my dad took my granny there every Saturday for her shopping. We spent an hour running up and down the steps and pretending we were singing at a concert while she was in the shops.

I was easily entertained :o

• Registered Users Posts: 33,627 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Surely a lot of you donegal folk must miss the trips to lovely Derry!!

Ill get me coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

NIMAN wrote: »

Ill get me coat.

I remember years ago going up to Garvagh with my dad for spare parts for his machinery, and him hiding it under the carpet in the back of the van. He told me to sit on it so it looked like a seat, I'll never forget driving through the checkpoint and all the soldiers with their guns out, pretty scary as a 7 year old!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Ill get me coat.
    Banned!

for 10 seconds

• Advertisement

Kevwoody wrote: »
    I remember years ago going up to Garvagh with my dad for spare parts for his machinery, and him hiding it under the carpet in the back of the van. He told me to sit on it so it looked like a seat, I'll never forget driving through the checkpoint and all the soldiers with their guns out, pretty scary as a 7 year old!

:eek:
    What type of machinery exactly were you collecting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Firblog

Cinema's in Killybegs and Donegal Town.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

<SNIP>

Mod note: No need to troll.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Not that I had the opportunity to use them, but am I still allowed miss the trains??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Football special in a glass bottle
    Pier Hotel (even though it was a kip)
    Derv at 54p a litre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,385 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Firblog wrote: »
    Cinema's in Killybegs and Donegal Town.

Saw a play in the old cinema in donegal town not long before if closed . Real shame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

I was born seven months too late for it but I've missed the train from Derry through Carrigans and Johnston to Strabane, Omagh, Dungannon, Portadown and on to Dublin.. CIE had an option to take it over but the Fianna Fáil government balked at taking it on.

I can just about remember the trains also and yeah its something that I miss and indeed Im sure most people in Donegal miss the service also.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

Are there still curraghs lined up on the strand at Portnablagh?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Climbing on bad eddie on gweedore strand.
    Paddys day/easter sunday in ostan na rossan.
    Every town, village and crossroads having a festival during the summer with travelling amusements.
    Seaview/dodge/the limelight, having somewhere to go after the pub without getting a taxi/bus to letterkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Jobs.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

frag420 wrote: »
    Jobs.....

+1
    Fruit of The Loom
    Unifi
    Herdman's
    Lifford Shirt Factory
    Banks in almost every town
    Small shops
    etc, etc...

Filming of old Star Wars films......... Wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭creaghadoos

TAR

Guys, its a good thread so no need for the smart comments. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Lough Swilly bus drivers storing their change in old 1litre ice cream tubs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Lough Swilly buses :(

• Registered Users Posts: 68,847 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cope branches everywhere (or so it seemed)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭henke

The limelight glenties back years ago when it was packed out every Saturday night. The grill also years ago when it was going good.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

Ill get me coat.

In June (I think) '87 we did a family trip into Derry. Pouring rain and we were pulled over for a check.

Mirrors under car, dog sniffing in boot. Nothing found and we were allowed on our way.

The old man being as he is, had to ask the soldier what the purpose of the dog was and it was explained that the dog could sniff out explosives, weapons or munitions.

"Well you should shoot the f**king dog then" said Dad to the soldier, " I had a shotgun and 40 rounds in there the other day"(1)

Cue all of us being told to get out of the car again whilst three soldiers and two dogs spend 20 minutes did a much more detailed search of the car.

When we were allowed back into the car the seats were soaked from the dogs trampling everywhere.

I think Mum finally spoke to Dad after two days :)

(1) Clearing a house after a death.

Fish being landed in Killybegs

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Katsumoto47

Donegal Town cinema and Mr T's in Donegal Town. They had the best cheeseburgers ever!

Bands playing in the Abbey Hotel on a Sunday night :)

Work next morning at 7am :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

armaghlad wrote: »
    Football special in a glass bottle
    Pier Hotel (even though it was a kip)
    Derv at 54p a litre

football special is back in 750ml glass bottles

• Advertisement

Football Special has got to be one of the most sugar filled drinks in the world. Got to be.

Advertisement