Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can I change electricty providers ? tenant

Options
  • 05-03-2016 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hi living in a house with Pinergy here for the last two years and sick of the high rates I would much rather change to Energia as Pinergy offers no night time rates.

So do I need landlords permission first to change or can I just do it ? It's costing 20/30 a week in electricity at the minute

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

If you are solely responsible for paying the bill then yes you can change provider and you don't need any permission

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Is the contract in your name?
    Does it work that the LL got in pinergy and u just topup?
    If so, just check as pinergy had to install a meter and there may be some issue if LL on contract.
    The LL won't want to incur any cost if breach of contract. If all ok, there should be no issue with changing supplier though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

If you want night time rates, you're going to need to do a lot more than change provider, and yes you'll need the owner's permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

testicle wrote: »
    If you want night time rates, you're going to need to do a lot more than change provider, and yes you'll need the owner's permission.

Surely a tenant is free to choose their energy provider? Can you point to anything that says otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭celligraphy

I think the previous tenants got it in and he just kept it since, its here about 3 Years.

I'll give him a call tomorrow and fingers crossed we can switch to Energia

• Advertisement

As I said if you pay the bill you have the right to change to whatever provider you like, read this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Landlords don't care what utility companies you use as long as the account is in your name and not theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Folks there is HUGE difference between changing providers and getting in night time electricity. OP - you need to tell us which you want to do as getting the night time electricity requires re-wiring the ESB meter if it's not fitted already.

If all you want to do is change supplier it's a case of ringing around, quoting the MPRN number that's on a bill, and asking if the electricity supplier will take you on.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭celligraphy

Oh ok didn't know that I just thought that. If I got energia in they would offer an off peak rate

Oh ok didn't know that I just thought that. If I got energia in they would offer an off peak rate

AFAIK A first time night saver meter installation is free but if you decide to switch back to a single meter there is a charge.

You need to be using at least a quarter of your consumption in the night saver times to make it worth while as the annual standing charge is a lot higher.

Check out some of the comparison sites e.g Switcher.ie some good deals to be had. Its always worth checking the prices every year as there is a lot of competition in the market

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

NATLOR wrote: »
    If you are solely responsible for paying the bill then yes you can change provider and you don't need any permission
    Surely a tenant is free to choose their energy provider? Can you point to anything that says otherwise.

Depends on what the tennant is doing. If my tennant was getting say a pre pay meter in which requires a new box fixed to the walls and wired to the fuse board then I would want to know about it.

If they were simply changing Providors and no hardware is changing hands then i agree that the tennant is free to pick who they like.

It's similar to picking between sky or Virgin Media.

Same goes for the gas. My tennant had to get my permission to swap to a pre pay system with flo gas as they connect a smart box to the meter. Flo gas also wanted confirmation in writing from nee that I was allowing the tenant install it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

NATLOR wrote: »

Unless the change requires a change of meter perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Go back and re-read the OP. Following that, go and read my post again.

I'm not referring to switching providers, I'm referring to the changing to night rate electricity, which will require the installation of a second meter. Thus, the landlord is going to have to be informed, and must give their approval.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

testicle wrote: »
    Go back and re-read the OP. Following that, go and read my post again.

I'm not referring to switching providers, I'm referring to the changing to night rate electricity, which will require the installation of a second meter. Thus, the landlord is going to have to be informed, and must give their approval.

Mod note

As per the forum charter please remain civil when posting. Secondly please read your thread title...it refers to switching provider with no mention of bought rate electricity.

What do you actually want advice on?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Some leases provide that there cannot be a change of service provider without the written consent of the landlord. I know some landlords who hate dealing with a particular company and won't allow them to supply their tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Some leases provide that there cannot be a change of service provider without the written consent of the landlord. I know some landlords who hate dealing with a particular company and won't allow them to supply their tenants.

Is that not anti-competitive?

Advertisement