Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crystal Palace V Liverpool 1:30 SKY

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Yes; there was contact, but it was extremely minimal. Very generous penalty. The counter argument is obviously that Delaney had a brainfart making a needless challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

So happy with that. Responded brilliantly after going down to 10 I knew we would get one chance and thankfully we took it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,639 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

As good as seeing the net bulge was pardew throwing his coat !
    Great win ,
    Lovern was deservedly motm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Did Klopp run down the sidelines like they just won the league yeah ?
    Joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It was a clear penalty IMO. A complete brainfart from Delaney diving in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

quarryman wrote: »
    1 - gSPapvN.jpg?1

to Palace

Final score

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRE7RzkAK5wZ9ItDBp67yaPt7ISOJcdt2Lspdiq4IcY3P4Rh62W- images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTG8K9ZddMJo0ZShNU7I0owfXjzk-oEDa0B6dHbJkMiOPN6Yvg_

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Safe to say they were due a bit of payback, about time.... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

niallo27 wrote: »
    Wasn't a dive. His knee caught him

Yes but he had committed to dive first. Knee caught him well after the dive.
    Only way his knee could hit his heel is if player took dive.
    How can a knee hit a heel unless a player is falling over, which he did for no reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Delaney was actually very unlucky he pulled out of the challenge but his trailing knee caught him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Joke

Yeah, imagine celebrating an injury time winner.

Cracking result at a tricky ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Just what on earth was Delaney trying to achieve with that lunge in. Idiotic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Nope, he stayed in the dugout but nice try ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

How can a knee hit a heel unless a player is falling over, which he did for no reason.

Watch it again your wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Because the defender is sliding on his knees, the knee is on the ground when he makes contact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Fair play to the linesman, cos we were getting f*ck all off the ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Joke
    No I think he told the 4th official it was a disgraceful decision and that Benteke dived before running down the sideline to give out to the players for celebrating the penalty.

monkey9 wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTG8K9ZddMJo0ZShNU7I0owfXjzk-oEDa0B6dHbJkMiOPN6Yvg_

Hey Alan, smell yer ma!

Because the defender is sliding on his knees, the knee is on the ground when he makes contact.

Only a spit second in it, but I think the commitment to dive came first.
    I'll need to look at it again.

I thought it was a dive initially myself and still think he could have stayed standing. He is clipped though and when travelling at that pace, any contact can throw you off balance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Jesus only here could people be debating whether that was a dive or not.

Glad pool won but open your eyes people.

You say 'fair enough' if the same happens for CP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Cracking result at a tricky ground.

Yeah they should push on to win the league now ...

gosplan wrote: »

Genuinely, if that was the other way round, i'd be p!ssed off with my defender. I really would. Players are always going to anticipate the contact. Delaney knows that.

It was stupid of Delaney to dive in like that, there was no need to. He better makes sure he wins the ball and if he doesn't, tough.

Only here? What about on sky sports where they're also calling it a penalty? There's contact, there's no disputing that, the only conversation is whether there's enough contact to impede Benteke and thus be considered a penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Only here? What about on sky sports where they're also calling it a penalty? There's contact, there's no disputing that, the only conversation is whether there's enough contact to impede Benteke and thus be considered a penalty.

It was a dive...as in he dived on the ground.

Are you (and sky sports) actually saying that the challenge brought him down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

It's defo a pen. And he defo goes down easily and is absolutely right to do so. He has just won his team the game. Maybe some of the Liverpool fans will understand Ashley Young's thought process from now on :p

I'm saying it was a penalty. I'm saying there was contact between Delaney and Benteke, enough contact to unfairly impede Benteke. Not necessarily enough contact to bring Benteke to the floor but it's still a foul and so it's still a penalty.

Definitely a dive. He chose to lie on the grass, he wasn't brought down.

So he dived...and it's a penalty.

Which brings us back to this idea that football is a contact sport, except in the box, where any contact merits a dive and a deserved penalty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Joke

Is running the sideline the reserve of a league win now? To me it's a manager showing genuine happiness with a last minute win. He likes to run around a bit, does he? Shoot him, the scumbag!

It's defo a pen. And he defo goes down easily and is absolutely right to do so. He has just won his team the game. Maybe some of the Liverpool fans will understand Ashley Young's thought process from now on :p

But with Young there is no one with in 50 meters of him.
    He can be alone in a room, locked from the inside and still end up on the floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Definitely a dive. He chose to lie on the grass, he wasn't brought down.

If the same happened on a rugby pitch (with a hand making contact instead of Delaney's knee) it would be classed as a tap tackle which is specifically designed to bring down an attacking player who is getting away from you with the minimum of contact by the tackling player. At the pace they were running any contact across the trailing foot is going to bring down the tackled player.

If there was no contact it would absolutely be a dive but no one is even contending there wasn't contact as it's clear to see there was.

It's an absolutely valid peno. End of.

If it happened at the other end of the pitch and Moreno had clipped a CP player I'd be pi$$ed off with Moreno not the CP player.

So he dived...and it's a penalty.

Which brings us back to this idea that football is a contact sport, except in the box, where any contact merits a dive and a deserved penalty.

Personally, i don't think it's a penalty. But i always blame the defender and he got what he deserved. It was a stupid decision to dive in like that. We've all watched enough football now to know what Benteke or any striker is going to do in that situation. If the defender fails to win the ball, then tough.

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Is running the sideline the reserve of a league win now? To me it's a manager showing genuine happiness with a last minute win. He likes to run around a bit, does he? Shoot him, the scumbag!

He didn't even run down the sideline, he just jumped up in celebration.

But with Young there is no one with in 50 meters of him.
    He can be alone in a room, locked from the inside and still end up on the floor.

Course it's different mate....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Benteke dived no question. His positioning/fall/movement (forward momentum) was unnatural that's how you can always tell its a dive. He slows down expecting the defender to tackle him but no tackle came and he looked a fool diving. I've no problem with him conning the refs but to go off celebrating like that after putting away the resulting peno....that's a disgrace - premier league players really do have no shame. He should have been embarrassed.

Was the panel an ex Liverpool player and a Frenchman infamous for cheating? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Personally, i don't think it's a penalty. But i always blame the defender and he got what he deserved. It was a stupid decision to dive in like that. We've all watched enough football now to know what Benteke or any striker is going to do in that situation. If the defender fails to win the ball, then tough.
    not entirely correct - surely the officials should be capable of making a correct decision rather than leaving it in the lap of the gods (tough) ?

• Advertisement

If the same happened on a rugby pitch (with a hand making contact instead of Delaney's knee) it would be classed as a tap tackle which is specifically designed to bring down an attacking player who is getting away from you with the minimum of contact by the tackling player. At the pace they were running any contact across the trailing foot is going to bring down the tackled player.

If there was no contact it would absolutely be a dive but no one is even contending there wasn't contact as it's clear to see there was.

If it happened at the other end of the pitch and Moreno had clipped a CP player I'd be pi$$ed off with Moreno not the CP player.

I think Benteke has already made the decision that he's going to fall, he's then anticipating the contact.

I think we're on the same wavelength in terms of blaming the defender more than anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Ha ha.

You used 'Ashley Young' and 'thought' in the same sentence:D

Course it's different mate....

Ah come on, there's a big difference between Benteke going down there and Ashley Young pirouetting through the air with no contact whatsoever.

Garzorico wrote: »
    not entirely correct - surely the officials should be capable of making a correct decision rather than leaving it in the lap of the gods (tough) ?

It looked a blatant 100% penalty on first viewing.

Ah come on, there's a big difference between Benteke going down there and Ashley Young pirouetting through the air with no contact whatsoever.

Nope. Both ensure that they get the correct decision. You can try to create grey areas but the end result is the same. A dive is a dive is a dive.

People are so weird about diving. It's a valid tactic and Benteke earned his hundred grand this week by doing it.

Nope. Both ensure that they get the correct decision. You can try to create grey areas but the end result is the same. A dive is a dive is a dive.

People are so weird about diving. It's a valid tactic and Benteke earned his hundred grand this week by doing it.

Yeah but a dive is a dive is a dive can also be a foul.

• Advertisement

I hugely disagree with this. ANY contact (aka the C.Ronaldo defence) is not enough to bring you down.

It always comes back to one of two things.

1: the defenders fault

or

2: there was contact as it was at pace

And this is how we justify people throwing themselves on the ground trying to con the ref which happens in no other sport.

If it was rugby, it would have gone up on the big screen and everyone would have laughed at Benteke.

Was the panel an ex Liverpool player and a Frenchman infamous for cheating? ;)

Whoever they were, if they said it was a penalty, we can be certain that they have at least one functional eyeball per man and are not pathologically dishonest.

If it was rugby, it would have gone up on the big screen and everyone would have laughed at Benteke.

And if it was badminton, we'd all be wondering what they were doing on the same side of the net.

And if it was fly-fishing, Benteke would have needed a change of clothes.

And if it was the Great British Bake Off, there would be cake all over the floor.

But it's football, and absolutely a penalty all day long, as the replays demonstrate beyond all doubt, except to obtuse axe-grinders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

I think Benteke has already made the decision that he's going to fall, he's then anticipating the contact.

A million people can all think a million things about what was in Benteke's head at the time or what his intentions were but it's all pure speculation. For some saying he was anticipating the tackle and it was therefore a dive (when he did in fact have his foot clipped) softens the blow/disappointment but ref's and linesmen can't make decisions based on speculation can they? They can only make decisions based on the facts they observe and on this occasion Delaney clipped Benteke's trailing foot tripping him in the box and it's a stone cold penalty.

Easy decision for the linesman who had the best angle to see it.

corwill wrote: »
    And if it was badminton, we'd all be wondering what they were doing on the same side of the net.

And if it was fly-fishing, Benteke would have needed a change of clothes.

And if it was the Great British Bake Off, there would be cake all over the floor.

But it's football, and absolutely a penalty all day long, as the replays demonstrate beyond all doubt, except to obtuse axe-grinders.

Not being obtuse. Just saying he dived.

I just find the partisan reaction laughable.

The he 'anticipated contact/was entitled to go down/was at speed' type of comments.

I'm not judging Benteke, just saying it was a dive.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement