Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan O'Sullivan protesters

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

zulutango wrote: »
    I think it has to be seen as a failure though. Prendeville and the AAA through everything at it. His cost/vote ratio must be one of the highest in the country going by the amount of posters he had up, and he had an army of people with him too and still didn't manage to get elected.

I saw very few of his posters compared to FG and FF. And they all had an 'army' of people, they are called canvassers and most of them would be so much more experienced at it. You also have to consider that Limerick has Willie O'Dea and Michael Noonan in it, so in reality there were only 2 seats for contention. With 2 relatively popular sitting TDs and a very popular SF candidate all vying for them. I thought Prenderville hadn't a snowballs chance in hell, tbh. But he did great in the city areas coming in 4th in an awful lot of places. If he had canvassed more/at all in the more suburban areas he would have stood an extremely good chance of taking the 4th seat. That result has to have been far beyond what AAA were expecting because it was amazing for this ward.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Lenny17123

I drove past scoil ide Saturday evening and saw the protesters, there was maybe 2 or 3 at most. This was roughly half 8 to 9. I couldn't make out what the signs said due to lighting and didn't help that the signs were written on cardboard in biro. Would also be interested to hear what exactly they were saying about Jan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Lenny17123 wrote: »
    I drove past scoil ide Saturday evening and saw the protesters, there was maybe 2 or 3 at most. This was roughly half 8 to 9. I couldn't make out what the signs said due to lighting and didn't help that the signs were written on cardboard in biro. Would also be interested to hear what exactly they were saying about Jan.

She was a teacher when I was in scoil ide. She wouldn't let us run in the yard.
    Was probably ex students arguing about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

The signs were written on cardboard in biro.

Austerity taking its toll. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

So, I wasn't hallucinating. :D

Yeah, what was actually written on the cardboard was very amateurish and probably not AAA at all.

The comments were vile. If it was a lone protestor you could imagine they were 'a bit unwell'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

In defense of the OP, if he repeats the allegations on here, boards.ie could get be held responsible for defaming O'Sullivan. He really can't tell us what was on the signs. I'll admit I'm super curious too but unless the people involved make some kind of official allegation then repeating it here is legally very dicey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

iguana wrote: »
    In defense of the OP, if he repeats the allegations on here, boards.ie could get be held responsible for defaming O'Sullivan. He really can't tell us what was on the signs. I'll admit I'm super curious too but unless the people involved make some kind of official allegation then repeating it here is legally very dicey.

If that's the case, the thread should be shut down because essentially the OP is doing the same thing (making allegations of certain people/parties) without actually outright saying it. Quite Machiavellian on their part really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

magma69 wrote: »
    If that's the case, the thread should be shut down because essentially the OP is doing the same thing (making allegations of certain people/parties) without actually outright saying it. Quite Machiavellian on their part really.

I don't think the triple A's and the pbp heads are that subtle. I thought chasing individuals around and battering them if they showed any sign of disagreeing with the left was their shtyle. They seem quite proud of denying people free speech and the right to assemble.

Pity, we could do with some credible alternatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

She was a teacher when I was in scoil ide. She wouldn't let us run in the yard. Was probably ex students arguing about.

I was there briefly as a kid. When did she leave?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

**Mod Note** As said lads, don't make any allegations or unfounded statements on this please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

She lives very close by so they were surely hoping for her/her family or her close friends/neighbours to see said sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Lenny17123

She lives very close by so they were surely hoping for her/her family or her close friends/neighbours to see said sign.

Disgraceful carry on if that was their intention!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,931 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

How do we know they were even protesting against Jan. The only person who supposedly heard what they said is the OP and for all we know he could be stirring ****e, another poster only saw them but couldn't make out what the signs said because they seemed amateurish.

Surely seeing as the OP won't say what was being said that the thread should be closed until further proof or deleted.

How do we know they were even protesting against Jan. The only person who supposedly heard what they said is the OP and for all we know he could be stirring ****e, another poster only saw them but couldn't make out what the signs said because they seemed amateurish.

Surely seeing as the OP won't say what was being said that the thread should be closed until further proof or deleted.

Conspiracy theory
    >

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Conspiracy theory
    >

Farming and forestry is the opposite way.
    Plenty of space to peddle your bulls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Proof enough for me.:pac:

The spelling, as has been the case in many of these protests, was possibly incorrect as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

seachto7 wrote: »
    Proof enough for me.:pac:

The spelling, as has been the case in many of these protests, was possibly incorrect as well.

How do you spell amateurish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Wasn't Jan O'Sullivan Minister for Housing and Planning throughout the farce that was the Limerick Regeneration Project?

Surely the oddities, nepotism and millions wasted/vanished here is coming soon to a Tribunal near you.....

I'm sorry but in my opinion this makes her worse than useless as if she had just resigned then someone competent could have taken her place.

The AAA may well have her in her sights now as she was only a handful of votes away from being knocked off her cozy, useless, lazy, failed Teacher perch by Cian Prendeville.

- I'm assuming they see her seat as rightfully theirs and they're all hot and bothered under their polyester anoraks about it.

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Wasn't Jan O'Sullivan Minister for Housing and Planning throughout the farce that was the Limerick Regeneration Project?

Surely the oddities, nepotism and millions wasted/vanished here is coming soon to a Tribunal near you.....

I'm sorry but in my opinion this makes her worse than useless as if she had just resigned then someone competent could have taken her place.

The AAA may well have her in her sights now as she was only a handful of votes away from being knocked off her cozy, useless, lazy, failed Teacher perch by Cian Prendeville.

- I'm assuming they see her seat as rightfully theirs and they're all hot and bothered under their polyester anoraks about it.

Only since 2011, Regeneration project was brought in during FF's term in 2007.

I don't think the triple A's and the pbp heads are that subtle. I thought chasing individuals around and battering them if they showed any sign of disagreeing with the left was their shtyle. They seem quite proud of denying people free speech and the right to assemble.

Pity, we could do with some credible alternatives.

My post was calling the OP Machiavellian.

Still waiting for the OP to answer what exactly he/she hopes to achieve from the thread, given that they won't actually discuss anything. Strange that the moderators have allowed a thinly veiled smear thread like this tbh.

• Advertisement

My post was calling the OP Machiavellian.

Still waiting for the OP to answer what exactly he/she hopes to achieve from the thread, given that they won't actually discuss anything. Strange that the moderators have allowed a thinly veiled smear thread like this tbh.

What are you on about? What veiled smear?

We have someone above thinking I made it up. In fact took the opportunity of people protesting (that much has been verified) and twisted it to be a Jan O'Sullivan protest.

Some people are getting very upset over it. And I don't know why.

What are you on about? What veiled smear?

We have someone above thinking I made it up. In fact took the opportunity of people protesting (that much has been verified) and twisted it to be a Jan O'Sullivan protest.

Some people are getting very upset over it. And I don't know why.

Don't mind acting the fool with me, you know very well what you're doing.

Again I ask, what exactly did you hope to gain from making this thread?

Don't mind acting the fool with me, you know very well what you're doing.

Again I ask, what exactly did you hope to gain from making this thread?

You haven't answered my question.

what did I hope to achieve?

I wanted to know if anyone else saw the loons in my area, and if anyone knew if there was any follow up involving the Gardai.

BTW, if you'd be so good can you let me know what exactly you think I'm doing?

I wanted to know if anyone else saw the loons in my area, and if anyone knew if there was any follow up involving the Gardai.

Well it turns out not a single person can verify your vague insinuations of appalling behaviour from certain people.

Did you make a complaint to the Gardai yourself? Could have easily taken a photo of them when you passed if you are so concerned about it.

And yes, you made a smear thread where you sneakily linked AAA crowd with some sort of terrible behaviour without actually providing any information. I'm not even affiliated with them in any way nor did CP get my first choice. People are taking issue with your weasel like carry on in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

My post was calling the OP Machiavellian

I know.

I was extrapolating that into assuming the motivation or source of that.

Well it turns out not a single person can verify your vague insinuations of appalling behaviour from certain people.

Did you make a complaint to the Gardai yourself? Could have easily taken a photo of them when you passed if you are so concerned about it.

And yes, you made a smear thread where you sneakily linked AAA crowd with some sort of terrible behaviour without actually providing any information. I'm not even affiliated with them in any way nor did CP get my first choice. People are taking issue with your weasel like carry on in this thread.

Okay you got me. The people outside Scoil Ide were campaigning to save the red squirrel. Seriously, you want me to shut up. keep my head down, is that it? Thanks, but that just isn't me.

It looks as if they were there for hours so I'm sure plenty people saw and heard them.

As already said I cannot say what they were shouting. I'll give you a hint, It wasn't 'careful now' or 'down with this kind of thing'

I've already said I would be surprised if it were the AAA. Did you miss that bit?

Anyone notice the protesters in corbally making very serious allegations about Jan?

Who are they?

It seems like some see a new election shortly and see Jan as the weakest of the sitting TDs.

One smaller party were in election mode near Pennys.

BTW, if you'd be so good can you let me know what exactly you think I'm doing?

No what you said was "Anyone notice the protesters in corbally making very serious allegations about Jan?". Could have very easily asked the question highlighted without having to throw in the remark about Jan and people would have no problem with your thread. But then went on to talk about a party seeing Jan as a weak link after your opening remark about a group of people making serious allegations about her, basically coming out without directly saying it that the AAA were bashing Jan over the weekend.

Okay you got me. The people outside Scoil Ide were campaigning to save the red squirrel. Seriously, you want me to shut up. keep my head down, is that it? Thanks, but that just isn't me.

It looks as if they were there for hours so I'm sure plenty people saw and heard them.

As already said I cannot say what they were shouting. I'll give you a hint, It wasn't 'careful now' or 'down with this kind of thing'

I've already said I would be surprised if it were the AAA. Did you miss that bit?

So given that you didn't answer I'm going to assume you haven't contacted the Gardai. Interesting.

Why bring up that party outside Penneys (AAA crowd) in your original post then? What has that to do with some loons (of which you "don't" think are with AAA) in Corbally?

I'm done in this stupid thread. I think this has had the opposite effect of what you have hoped for when you made this thread too.

No what you said was "Anyone notice the protesters in corbally making very serious allegations about Jan?". Could have very easily asked the question highlighted without having to throw in the remark about Jan and people would have no problem with your thread. But then went on to talk about a party seeing Jan as a weak link after your opening remark about a group of people making serious allegations about her, basically coming out without directly saying it that the AAA were bashing Jan over the weekend.

Should I be Sorry if I devoped my post in a way to extrapolate what I thought was possible? Another poster suggested similar.

I still think it was electioneering, by whom I don't know.

Will follow up with the thread tomorrow morning.

• Advertisement

So given that you didn't answer I'm going to assume you haven't contacted the Gardai. Interesting.

Why bring up that party outside Penneys (AAA crowd) in your original post then? What has that to do with some loons (of which you "don't" think are with AAA) in Corbally?

I'm done in this stupid thread. I think this has had the opposite effect of what you have hoped for when you made this thread too.

I'll never get to bed. No , I was one of hundreds of passers by. I didn't call the guards.

It was a very interesting thread, from a social aspect it was interesting to get the responses it did. I know what we heard, and yet unknown protestors got the benefit of the doubt. I find that fascinating.

Good night.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement