Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best fry up in the city

Options
  • 06-03-2016 10:39am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Where is the best fry up to be had in the city

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Not sure about the best fry up,but the best breakfast you'll get is probably in Ard Bia at Nimmos, Spanish Arch...

Just have the french toast....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

exaisle wrote: »
    Not sure about the best fry up,but the best breakfast you'll get is probably in Ard Bia at Nimmos, Spanish Arch...

Just have the french toast....

Not on the menu http://static1.squarespace.com/static/5301ef29e4b0f8636b5cca26/t/569e276db204d58bba7ad059/1453205364844/NEW+Brekkie_Lunch+MENU.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

Says a lot about Galway lifestyle that breakfast is served between 10am and midday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

lohans in Salthill

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭the-island-man

Had a really good one in the Huntsman lately. A lot of fry's I wouldn't feel great after because of the grease but the one I got in there was good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Frends, Tuam Rd. Jumbo breakfast. Job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Notch000 wrote: »
    lohans in Salthill

Are you sure?

The Home Plate was class but it closed.

The Galway Plate on N17 does nice breakfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I ate at the Galway Plate recently, the fry was decent enough. Also had one at the Born Cafe at Newtownsmith and that was actually unbelievable, best one I've ever had out I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I had an excellent breakfast recently on a Sunday afternoon in Tribeton on Merchants Road. Very tasty! I think it's the same people running it as the G Counter and the breakfast served in Tribeton was similar to one I had there.

I've also found Gourmet Tart in Salthill very good the few times I've tried it.

These options are slightly "healthier" (if that's possible) than a typical greasy spoon alternative.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Trappers Tuam Rd I reckon.

Does anyone know if any of them still have fried bread? Is it really a proper fry without fried bread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

Are you sure?

Lohans does a very nice (dry) breakfast .. and great views

• Registered Users Posts: 17,936 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I remember hungover breakfasts in the Home Plate years ago, still the best fry I ever had.

holly8 wrote: »
    Lohans does a very nice (dry) breakfast .. and great views

Do they have an all day breakfast?

Thargor wrote: »
    I remember hungover breakfasts in the Home Plate years ago, still the best fry I ever had.

They were heavenly. A hidden gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Does anyone know if any of them still have fried bread? Is it really a proper fry without fried bread?

I've never had fried bread in Ireland (maybe in Northern Ireland, but is that not an Ulster Fry?). I have had it in England, though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I think the quality of the fry up has as much to do with how desperate your need for grease is at the time as much as it has to do with the objective quality of the food. Most are fairly interchangeable no matter where you go in the town, though I did eat one in The Cellar once, while in a really bad way, and I may not have made it through that day without it. Sometimes there's an element of blind luck to it: the fry in a place can taste great and freshly cooked one time and then the next time you might get one that's obviously been sitting under a heat-lamp for an age before you were unlucky enough to come along and buy it.

I can tell you were I had the absolute worst: Massimo's. This is going back a year or two. I don't know if they're still in the fry-up business today, on the evidence of that day it definitely felt like they trying to dissuade people from getting their breakfast fill with them. It was a mangy lukewarm experience about half the size of a standard fry you'd get elsewhere. It did come on a fancy plate though, I'll give them that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Fancy plate? Pah! :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Had breakfast in Seven recently, number of options and mushrooms included.. Have been back for a second and it was the same quality, pretty impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Seven, and before that Kelly's, was/is good
    Riordan's

As per usual with food it's very individual; some likes beans, other fried tomatoes.
    If I could find a place here that did breakfast potato bread I'd go there all the time :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

We can but dream Biko!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

<read point 8, this thread is not for anti-recommendations>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

Are you sure?

lohans = Yes im sure

galway plate = excellent too

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭irish_major

McCambridges.
    Thread closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

biko wrote: »
    Seven, and before that Kelly's, was/is good
    Riordan's

As per usual with food it's very individual; some likes beans, other fried tomatoes.
    If I could find a place here that did breakfast potato bread I'd go there all the time :D

Lohans give you potato bread with their breakfast - it's not home made though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

+1

Can't beat fried spuds in a fry.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭whineflu

lohans in Salthill

Here we go again. This place got high praise from a few people the last time this thread was on the go so I went along. Some might call it "good value" but it most certainly is not "the best fry in the city". The sausages and pudding were not high pork content, the fried eggs were dripping in grease and the brown bread was that low grade soda a lot of places have. Quality-wise it is beaten by any other option listed so far.

In short: you get loads and it's not that expensive but there's a pool of grease left on the plate when you're done.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

whineflu wrote:
    In short: you get loads and it's not that expensive but there's a pool of grease left on the plate when you're done.

I've no intention of washing the plate, it sounds good to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭whineflu

crusier wrote: »
    I've no intention of washing the plate, it sounds good to me!

...and that is where the difficulty lies when sharing best fry up recommendations. One man's grease is another's poison.

lohans = Yes im sure

galway plate = excellent too

I went to Lohans at lunch once and asked for the breakfast and they said it was over.

For me, one of the main characteristic of a good fry-up venue is that they do the breakfast all day long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I like Griffins :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement