Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best fry up in the city

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

I went to Lohans at lunch once and asked for the breakfast and they said it was over.

For me, one of the main characteristic of a good fry-up venue is that they do the breakfast all day long.

dont know why inm defending it but I had the same experoence, i was in again at the weekend and it was advertised as an all day breakfast,

for the record, not many orher places, give soda bread, patato cakes & real pudding not that dennies crap every else does, quality rasher & sausages too.

who ever was coplaining about the grease is definetly in the wrong thread, that kale & protein section is somewhere else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Feeney's in Salthill do a great feed.

Green Leaf in Liosban Ind Est also do a tasty all-day breakfast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

I like Griffins :)

I have been told that Griffins charge extra for tea or coffee with breakfast fry. Boo hiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I have been told that Griffins charge extra for tea or coffee with breakfast fry. Boo hiss.

I wish more places gave that option. The look of confusion on the servers faces when I say I can't have either is something else. If I ask for a glass of milk or orange instead it usually ends up in a staff meeting in the corner deciding what to do with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

“Best Breakfast” is a subjective thing.
    Some people just want quantity, which is fine.

Frends, The Galway Plate, Feeney’s are good for that.
    Of those, Frends would be the best but is just ok, quality wise.
    I tried Feeney’s based on a recommendation in an old recommendation thread and was disappointed. Sure there was lots of on the plate – but it was all poor quality stuff.

Huntsman tries hard but is hit and miss. The fried potatoes are usually poor and greasy, And I once got sour, gone off pudding.
    Kelly’s was very good, I have not tried Seven but probably similar.
    Gourmet Tart uses good quality products and is quite decent, as a result.

Couple of decent places not mentioned are the G Counter in Wellpark and Pascal’s Café in Edward Square, which is really good.

If you’re looking for something a little different, Kai on Sea Road have lovely breakfast/brunch options. Top notch stuff.
    An alternative hangover beater is the breakfast crepe in Mr Waffle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah Kai does a lovely breakfast, as does Nimmos, but both are a bit artisan so if you just want a pile of grease then that's not the place.

Kitchen does a nice brekkie as well.

They all do lovely breakfasts

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

do massimos still do the brekkie and a pint special on sundays? Sometimes its the only thing will cure ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I treated myself to a late breakfast in Tribeton this morning. I think the attached picture speaks for itself. Lovely :D

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/41275/380172.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I treated myself to a late breakfast in Tribeton this morning. I think the attached picture speaks for itself. Lovely :D

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/41275/380172.jpeg

Lovely job.

How was the pudding?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

aw wrote: »
    Lovely job.

How was the pudding?

All lovely. I think they use a local butcher for supplies, Collerans I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭whineflu

Notch000 wrote: »
    who ever was coplaining about the grease is definetly in the wrong thread, that kale & protein section is somewhere else

So by your rationale if you're not a greasemonkey lookin for the meat sweats then you're not allowed comment here?
    A fry doesn't need to be dripping in cheap grease to be good. Grease comes into it a lot; there needs to be the right amount, it needs to be good quality and it needs to have been changed regularly so your breakfast doesn't smell like fish fingers.
    About half the recommendations given here fall into that category like Kai, Gourmet Tart, Ard Bia and the G Counter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Forgot to mention corrib house tea rooms. Beautiful spot and have loved anything breakfast I've had there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

McCambridges do a nice "healthy" breakfast fry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

If you fancy a spin in the country, Breathnachs in Oughterard do a fantastic fry up.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

exaisle wrote: »
    If you fancy a spin in the country, Breathnachs in Oughterard do a fantastic fry up.....

Really? I go to Oughterard a bit but I have never heard that pub recommended, will give it a go very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Forgot to mention corrib house tea rooms. Beautiful spot and have loved anything breakfast I've had there.

One of my biggest food disappointments in Galway. They've now changed their grill so that it's just the same as everywhere else. They don't do the lovely black pudding and potato cake with the egg on top covered with the best hollandaise ever that they used to do. For me, there's no reason to go there for breakfast anymore, whereas it used to be one of the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

exaisle wrote: »

or a bit further the gentian in kinvara,best ive eaten anywhere,expensive but worth it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

?Cee?view wrote: »
    One of my biggest food disappointments in Galway. They've now changed their grill so that it's just the same as everywhere else. They don't do the lovely black pudding and potato cake with the egg on top covered with the best hollandaise ever that they used to do. For me, there's no reason to go there for breakfast anymore, whereas it used to be one of the best.

No!. Well damn it anyway, that was exactly the breakfast i was picturing when i mentioned it.. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Ludikrus

?Cee?view wrote: »

Say it to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I used to love the breakfast in Tricia's cafe on Abbeygate Street, shame it's gone. :(

Also Feeney's in Salthill for a proper fry.

Get the occasional one in Nimmo's and yes the French toast is class. Does nothing for a hangover though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Eeden wrote: »
    I've never had fried bread in Ireland (maybe in Northern Ireland, but is that not an Ulster Fry?). I have had it in England, though

You're right I had a large fry in Petes Eats in Llanberis last weekend. Large slice of fried bread included. I was getting my Cuisine Irlandaise confused with Cuisine Britanique.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

You're right I had a large fry in Petes Eats in Llanberis last weekend. Large slice of fried bread included. I was getting my Cuisine Irlandaise confused with Cuisine Britanique.

My people were from rural Galway and their fryups usually included fried slices of home-made soda bread. It was buttered on both sides before frying.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭mr biazzi

+ 1 for Breathnachs in Oughterard... All Day Breakast!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Cellar have an all day breakfast which is pretty good, never been disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Ludikrus wrote: »
    Say it to them.

I did. I'm not one for giving out online without first giving an opportunity for response in person. They told me they've no plan to revert to the old breakfast but I suspect that part of the issue is that people just don't give their feedback so they won't know if it's missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

a tenner for the clybaun hotel breakfast buffet in the morning til 10 or 11 at weekends. i've definitely had better cooked breakfasts but this is all you can eat

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    Anyone recommend somewhere decent that'd be open at 8am please? East of the city or city centre.
    Good quality sausages, sauted potatoes would be nice too....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Frends opens early.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

had a fry it GBC this morning beside CeX near square.

cost 9.50 with coffee.

Average at best. you can defiantly do much better!

On a side note, not exactly a fry, but i got a breakfast burrito in Dela on Dominic st last week. Mother of god, it was unreal!! 10/10 .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

oh, best value and breakfast has to be Riordans, used to frequent there when I lived in Galway and whenever I'm back should a morning opportunity arise I'm straight in there for Breakfast. not even a hesitation. and charcoal grill special! but thats not for breakfast!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement