Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midleton V Cobh - best place to live

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭goochy

midleton is just like a city suburb , its not that people are rude but its just a big town and that's what u get.

as said I am not from youghal originally and youghal is far from perfect but it has spoilt me as people are so nice and theres great pubs and places to eat . judged by itself midleton is grand but we in youghal admire it for business reasons not because its got a great night life and lovely people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

goochy wrote: »
    midleton is just like a city suburb , its not that people are rude but its just a big town and that's what u get.

as said I am not from youghal originally and youghal is far from perfect but it has spoilt me as people are so nice and theres great pubs and places to eat . judged by itself midleton is grand but we in youghal admire it for business reasons not because its got a great night life and lovely people.
    Now you sound a bit clannish :P
    Is there some Midleton v Youghal thing I don't know about?
    I've only been in Youghal a handful of times, and only once for night out; so I can't speak about the difference between the two places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I am originally from Dublin too , you really don't want to go back there- to live in a place like midleton up there would cost a fortune and even though I am a Dub myself don't like Dubs generally . you wont find it that easy to get property in your budget in midleton - it might be an apartment or one of the houses in town not in a housing estate - I. e no front garden.

as you don't drive Youghal wouldn't really suit you , as long as don't mind the fact that midleton is terrible for pubs. Cobh will be friendlier as midleton isn't very friendly.
    we in youghal admire midleton as its a busy market town but it will be a big change from Kerry .

Why did you say it would be a big change from Kerry in a good or bad way?

well its just a random place - as said it may as well be a suburb of cork - its not really a country town

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Lol goochy.
    I love how you speak for all the people of Youghal! Any you a blow-in.

Middleton has some great restaurants - Sage and The Farm Gate in particular.

I'm told that The Mad Monk is a good bar - great beer selection too.

• Advertisement

I speak to alot of people.mad monk far from a great bar . They are fancy places try and find somewhere for carvery on midleton

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭jimmythedivil

Cobh is well-known as the incest capital of Ireland. Seriously, people still marry their cousins there. Nice looking town with strange local population. Never seems to have developed since the Royal Navy vacated the place so much of the local business revolves around peddling a tenuous link to the Titanic. Biggest claim to fame in recent years is possessing the ugliest statue in Ireland.

Midleton is flat, boring and some prone to serious flooding.

Toss a coin, there's not much in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Cobh is well-known as the incest capital of Ireland. Seriously, people still marry their cousins there. Nice looking town with strange local population.

Ha ha. I was wondering if someone would have the balls to bring this up. Its also known as the unmarried mother capitol, not that it makes a blind bit of difference.
    I wouldnt live in Cobh myself but like i said earlier i know a good few blow ins down there who are perfectly happy and settled in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

well its just a random place - as said it may as well be a suburb of cork - its not really a country town

Not if knew any people from Midleton. Like most Irish towns, the people who have lived there all their lives think Midleton is the centre of the universe and why would you need to go anywhere else. It's a very good retail town and has plenty of facilities. The lower half of main street is prone to flooding by the rest is grand. I regularly shop in both Midleton and Youghal and don't find the people any different. The entire population of Ireland is clannish, it just varies in scale. The 'real capital' for example, or Dubs think everywhere outside the city is 'down da country.'
    OP Why not book a hotel/ B and B for a weekend in both places and you'll get a feel for the place(s)

mordeith wrote: »
    Not if knew any people from Midleton. Like most Irish towns, the people who have lived there all their lives think Midleton is the centre of the universe and why would you need to go anywhere else. It's a very good retail town and has plenty of facilities. The lower half of main street is prone to flooding by the rest is grand. I regularly shop in both Midleton and Youghal and don't find the people any different. The entire population of Ireland is clannish, it just varies in scale. The 'real capital' for example, or Dubs think everywhere outside the city is 'down da country.'
    OP Why not book a hotel/ B and B for a weekend in both places and you'll get a feel for the place(s)

Yep that's what I plan to do, although I think Midleton is coming out tops!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I have lifted this from a thread back in 2012 - as there was the usual "negativity" towards living in Cobh - and as this is on the Cork City vs. Cork County section, I thought this may help - as I said I'm going back to 2012 with my response below (I've updated one or two bits) but since then a lot more has happened - millions going into Spike Island and the clean up of Haulbowline to create an amenity park. With more national and international tourism - comes more money into the local community.

FROM 2012
    "Also, sick to death of hearing how terrible Cobh is to live in. Would all those negative comment suppliers name the towns/estates/streets/apartments where they are living - so we can judge/comment on their area.

I have lived in Cobh for almost 8 years - I have lovely neighbours - some new, some there for generations. I feel that my home is always watched when I'm away - because they care.

I come home from work in the city - and look at the most stunning views of the Harbour which lifts my spirits immediately - and when the sun is shining I stroll down to the town, walk along the promenade or the park. Stop for a coffee in one of the many cafes/restaurants - and people are now travelling from the city and further afield to dine in Cobh.

I choose to drive to work - and it takes about 45 minutes rush hour time - and quieter times of the day 20 minutes, to the city centre. In the evenings if I want to go to Midleton cinema - 15 mins drive, or Mahon Point 20 mins drive via tunnel.

There are 3 large supermarkets just outside the town centre - Supervalu, Lidl, Aldi. There's smaller mini-markets in different areas including the town centre. A few clothing shops, interior shops, discount shops.

We've covered restaurants and lots of bars. Also a short drive away the 5 Star Fota Island Resort Hotel. Near there the Bramley Lodge with the most gorgeous cakes. All just down the road from Fota House and Grounds (concerts, outdoor theatre) and Fota Wildlife Park. And we have the Sirius Art Centre for art/photographic exhibitions and concerts. Haulbowline Theatre Group putting on shows throughout the locality. Lots of Trad Sessions in local Pubs and you never know who's going to turn up and play. All very warm and welcoming sessions where you get to mix with locals and visitors alike.

There is a GAA club, Rugby club, Soccer club, Tennis Club, Golf Club, also the Fota Golf Club, Coral leisure centre with a 25 metre swimming pool plus a child's pool, gym and classes. (There's probably loads more clubs but these are the first that comes to mind).

And once again I'll comment on the spectacular view, the fun of the Cruise Liners coming into Cobh town during the spring/summer - and the festival atmosphere in the town.

Close to the beautiful beaches of East Cork - swimming/surfing/picnics.

In relation to delapidated buildings - yes, I would agree there are a lot of them around Cobh town but considering most of these buildings would be well over 100 years old, if you look closely you will find a lot of these delapidated buildings have planning notices around them - so in time there will be less of that to see. Again, walk around any older locality in Cork and you will find delapidation. The new estates of now will be the delapidated estates of the future. And all these inhabitants view is each others houses/windows.

So that's just my view of living in Cobh. I have never experienced a problem living there, touch wood! I would say that whenever there is disquiet it's from out of towners on their day trip to Cobh. I keep hearing of litter problems the only time I see this - is if there is a turned over bin, which can happen if very windy - or if somebody from "wherever" has dumped a bag illegally somewhere - which happens everywhere also.

If you can delve into the Boards archives - and I have no idea how to do this - about 2 years ago there was a similar thread from a lady thinking of moving her family to Cobh - there was such negativity towards this town - and she chose to risk the move to Cobh and loved it."

So why not try out Cobh - rental is cheaper than the city centre, loads of amenities on your doorstep, trains running if you need to escape. You mentioned you're retiring and people are negative about the hills because Cobh is a hilly town - but there are lots of areas within the Great Island that would be flat - if you're driving then hills are no bother. I would suggest renting for a year to see how you feel about the area before being tied to a house. You may love it, you may hate it. But I love to visit Midleton to have a look around the shops - but couldn't live there - as you'll probably end up in one of the many estates in this Satellite town - no views there. In Cobh - nearly every where in the town centre or the Great Island, you will look out your window and feel thankful - no matter what the weather is like outside -your view is a changing picture. :)

Agree, shopping is the main amenity in midleton and you can access it from many areas easily enough. if you are a retired person you want somewhere with nice walks , by the sea. nice pubs and places to eat . Midleton doesn't offer any of these . It has some nice places to eat but they are fancy places not places for sunday lunch as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

Agree, shopping is the main amenity in midleton and you can access it from many areas easily enough. if you are a retired person you want somewhere with nice walks , by the sea. nice pubs and places to eat . Midleton doesn't offer any of these . It has some nice places to eat but they are fancy places not places for sunday lunch as such.

Ballyanan woods is a nice spot for a walk and only a 5-10 minute walk away from the Main Street, a nice place for retired walkers to do their thing. Theres a few half decent pedestrianised footpaths up around and behind knockgriffin. Not the best town for walks but not the worst either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

if you are a retired person you want somewhere with nice walks , by the sea. nice pubs and places to eat . Midleton doesn't offer any of these . It has some nice places to eat but they are fancy places not places for sunday lunch as such.
    Ok, we get it. You have issues with the place. Nobody is asking you to retire there.

Ballyanan woods is a nice spot for a walk and only a 5-10 minute walk away from the Main Street, a nice place for retired walkers to do their thing. Theres a few half decent pedestrianised footpaths up around and behind knockgriffin. Not the best town for walks but not the worst either.

Sounds perfect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Judes, your post is great, and I'm sure it suits YOU, but the OP has a couple of requirements which would make Midleton a better match in pure practical terms.

Their husband has knee issues, and has trouble with hills. Cobh is hilly.
    They don't drive. A lot of your post contains all the places you drive to.

I don't live in either spot, but I find Midleton more accessible from the city with transport links etc.

Judes wrote: »
    I have lifted this from a thread back in 2012 - as there was the usual "negativity" towards living in Cobh - and as this is on the Cork City vs. Cork County section, I thought this may help - as I said I'm going back to 2012 with my response below (I've updated one or two bits) but since then a lot more has happened - millions going into Spike Island and the clean up of Haulbowline to create an amenity park. With more national and international tourism - comes more money into the local community.

FROM 2012
    "Also, sick to death of hearing how terrible Cobh is to live in. Would all those negative comment suppliers name the towns/estates/streets/apartments where they are living - so we can judge/comment on their area.

I have lived in Cobh for almost 8 years - I have lovely neighbours - some new, some there for generations. I feel that my home is always watched when I'm away - because they care.

I come home from work in the city - and look at the most stunning views of the Harbour which lifts my spirits immediately - and when the sun is shining I stroll down to the town, walk along the promenade or the park. Stop for a coffee in one of the many cafes/restaurants - and people are now travelling from the city and further afield to dine in Cobh.

I choose to drive to work - and it takes about 45 minutes rush hour time - and quieter times of the day 20 minutes, to the city centre. In the evenings if I want to go to Midleton cinema - 15 mins drive, or Mahon Point 20 mins drive via tunnel.

There are 3 large supermarkets just outside the town centre - Supervalu, Lidl, Aldi. There's smaller mini-markets in different areas including the town centre. A few clothing shops, interior shops, discount shops.

We've covered restaurants and lots of bars. Also a short drive away the 5 Star Fota Island Resort Hotel. Near there the Bramley Lodge with the most gorgeous cakes. All just down the road from Fota House and Grounds (concerts, outdoor theatre) and Fota Wildlife Park. And we have the Sirius Art Centre for art/photographic exhibitions and concerts. Haulbowline Theatre Group putting on shows throughout the locality. Lots of Trad Sessions in local Pubs and you never know who's going to turn up and play. All very warm and welcoming sessions where you get to mix with locals and visitors alike.

There is a GAA club, Rugby club, Soccer club, Tennis Club, Golf Club, also the Fota Golf Club, Coral leisure centre with a 25 metre swimming pool plus a child's pool, gym and classes. (There's probably loads more clubs but these are the first that comes to mind).

And once again I'll comment on the spectacular view, the fun of the Cruise Liners coming into Cobh town during the spring/summer - and the festival atmosphere in the town.

Close to the beautiful beaches of East Cork - swimming/surfing/picnics.

In relation to delapidated buildings - yes, I would agree there are a lot of them around Cobh town but considering most of these buildings would be well over 100 years old, if you look closely you will find a lot of these delapidated buildings have planning notices around them - so in time there will be less of that to see. Again, walk around any older locality in Cork and you will find delapidation. The new estates of now will be the delapidated estates of the future. And all these inhabitants view is each others houses/windows.

So that's just my view of living in Cobh. I have never experienced a problem living there, touch wood! I would say that whenever there is disquiet it's from out of towners on their day trip to Cobh. I keep hearing of litter problems the only time I see this - is if there is a turned over bin, which can happen if very windy - or if somebody from "wherever" has dumped a bag illegally somewhere - which happens everywhere also.

If you can delve into the Boards archives - and I have no idea how to do this - about 2 years ago there was a similar thread from a lady thinking of moving her family to Cobh - there was such negativity towards this town - and she chose to risk the move to Cobh and loved it."

So why not try out Cobh - rental is cheaper than the city centre, loads of amenities on your doorstep, trains running if you need to escape. You mentioned you're retiring and people are negative about the hills because Cobh is a hilly town - but there are lots of areas within the Great Island that would be flat - if you're driving then hills are no bother. I would suggest renting for a year to see how you feel about the area before being tied to a house. You may love it, you may hate it. But I love to visit Midleton to have a look around the shops - but couldn't live there - as you'll probably end up in one of the many estates in this Satellite town - no views there. In Cobh - nearly every where in the town centre or the Great Island, you will look out your window and feel thankful - no matter what the weather is like outside -your view is a changing picture. :)

Thanks so much thats a wonderful post and very helpful. We will take a look for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I'd have to contradict that. We went for a meal in Midleton yesterday, simply because we happened to be there in the evening. Walking down the high street, there were a good few very nice looking places. We settled for a pizza in San Marco's, and I have to say it was one of the best pizzas I've had in Ireland, ever. It rivalled Novecentos.

And as the OP stated, hills would be a problem due to her husband's health. While I live in Cobh and wouldn't trade it for the world, you simply can't avoid those hills, especially not if you don't drive.

Also, OP, I stopped by the book shop in Midleton yesterday - if you're a book worm like me, that's another plus point for Midleton, there's no book shops at all in Cobh.
    Plus, Midleton has a lovely farmer's market on Saturdays, definitely worth checking out if you like your food.

Shenshen wrote: »
    I'd have to contradict that. We went for a meal in Midleton yesterday, simply because we happened to be there in the evening. Walking down the high street, there were a good few very nice looking places. We settled for a pizza in San Marco's, and I have to say it was one of the best pizzas I've had in Ireland, ever. It rivalled Novecentos.

And as the OP stated, hills would be a problem due to her husband's health. While I live in Cobh and wouldn't trade it for the world, you simply can't avoid those hills, especially not if you don't drive.

Also, OP, I stopped by the book shop in Midleton yesterday - if you're a book worm like me, that's another plus point for Midleton, there's no book shops at all in Cobh.
    Plus, Midleton has a lovely farmer's market on Saturdays, definitely worth checking out if you like your food.

Thanks so much, the pizza place sounds great! Oh and also the book shop always great to have!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Hi Zelda - we don't have a book shop in Cobh anymore - but we do have a good sized Library. I feel like a Failte Brochure for Cobh :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Hi Zelda - we don't have a book shop in Cobh anymore - but we do have a good sized Library. I feel like a Failte Brochure for Cobh :D

Has that improved recently? I only went once, when we first moved here 6 years ago. I left nearly in tears about the state of the place. I studied 4 years in Germany to become a librarian, and I had never seen the like.
    Please tell me they improved it - I'll go and have a look straight away.

That's fine. I must admit the price of books retail in Ireland is shocking!.. I mostly use the library or my kindle.

I loved your post Judes, I really appreciate all the info its so helpful when you are thinking of living in a place, we don't want to make another mistake as we did with choosing Kerry!

Zelda are you and your husband the type of people who like to get to know people and get involved in the community ? Or do you prefer to do your own thing? I find that most places can be good if you are willing to get involved and not expect things to just happen

Zelda are you and your husband the type of people who like to get to know people and get involved in the community ? Or do you prefer to do your own thing? I find that most places can be good if you are willing to get involved and not expect things to just happen

We liked to get involved, it can be a very lonely life if there is just the two of you. We don't have kids so we like to make friends as much as we can. I like to join groups, I belong to a Womens Group where we live now and it certainly helps to meet people.

Advertisement