Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DRM & Windows 10

• 06-03-2016 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭

Hi, I presume this question pops up every so often, but it is really annoying issue.

I have some wma music files that were transferred from legally purchased CD (I do not have CD anymore as my ex husband took it) but I cannot play that album as it gives the ANCIENT message about licence eg drm protection that I cannot do anything about.
    I tried to convert these wmas to mp3 but even the conversion is not permitted.
    Tried few of the so-called drm removal tools they did no job whatsoever.

Any help would be much appreciated.

(the album is Yello and Essentials from 1992)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Lavinia wrote: »
    Hi, I presume this question pops up every so often, but it is really annoying issue.

I have some wma music files that were transferred from legally purchased CD (I do not have CD anymore as my ex husband took it) but I cannot play that album as it gives the ANCIENT message about licence eg drm protection that I cannot do anything about.
    I tried to convert these wmas to mp3 but even the conversion is not permitted.
    Tried few of the so-called drm removal tools they did no job whatsoever.

Any help would be much appreciated.

(the album is Yello and Essentials from 1992)

Can you try downloading audacity and see can you import the music?

Then possibly you could convert it from there and remove the DRM?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

Thanks for your reply Fieldog, I haven't tried that, I see I need special drivers for Windows 10 (10.1) so will give it a go and let you know if that worked or not. It is such a nuisance...

Edit: It says "Audacity does not yet have full support for Windows 10 due to driver requirements." but I will try anyway.. see if it supports anything..

Well no it does not work as it does not support wma files at all:

"Audacity is an open source, cross-platform audio editor and recorder. Audacity can record and play sounds and import and export WAV, AIFF, MP3, and OGG files."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

can you just download them of the torrent ? were speaking here of 200megs :confused:or just use some software to download from youtube.

• Advertisement

scamalert wrote: »
    can you just download them of the torrent ? were speaking here of 200megs :confused:or just use some software to download from youtube.
    ure I could but I have other albums too that are the same so you know, those are legally purchased cds so I am so puzzled by this so want to find a way around - if in any way possible.
    (btw this particular album is hard to find and I love it very much)
    Fieldog wrote: »
    yes I tried that one it did not work, it starts and then fires the same message as i attached in the first post..

PS. Will give torrent a go.. found only flac format and oh yes I am not a fan of these...

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭schaffer1969

PS. Will give torrent a go.. found only flac format and oh yes I am not a fan of these...

FLAC will convert to MP3 very easily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

I cant see difference really between getting it downloaded,or trying to remove security-that's why suggested youtube since if its rare album you might need to download songs one by one.

FLAC will convert to MP3 very easily
    any tool to recommend for this? thanks :)

scamalert wrote: »
    I cant see difference really between getting it downloaded,or trying to remove security-that's why suggested youtube since if its rare album you might need to download songs one by one.
    Well it is just wasting time (as I feel) downloading song by song of albums I already have and paid for..
    But it seems there is no way around this Microsoft
    bs
    :o) pardon me saying, so no real other options there..

• Advertisement

any tool to recommend for this? thanks :)
    Handbrake or XMedia Recode.

Karsini wrote: »
    Thanks will try those : )

I cannot believe this DRM thing....
    so I suppose since I paid for that music already I should not feel guilty if downloading it from torrent or anywhere else in order to listen to it :rolleyes:

Thanks will try those : )

I cannot believe this DRM thing....
    so I suppose since I paid for that music already I should not feel guilty if downloading it from torrent or anywhere else in order to listen to it :rolleyes:

Technically you own the music so in this instance illegal downloading is the way to go....

You should keep it as a FLAC file though and play with VLC, much better quality than MP3 if encoded correctly....

Technically you own the music so in this instance illegal downloading is the way to go....

You should keep it as a FLAC file though and play with VLC, much better quality than MP3 if encoded correctly....

Technically she doesn't own the music any more. If the OP's ex has the cd he does.
    But if we're down to semantics downloading isn't going to make that much of a difference legally

Technically she doesn't own the music any more. If the OP's ex has the cd he does.
    But if we're down to semantics downloading isn't going to make that much of a difference legally

Hahah yes I guess you are right even we bought it together :pac:

But yes he took it as I said I transferred it to my comp. Turned out I cannot play it :o

Karsini wrote: »

Yes I actually do not mind flac as a file type - but more so that it means usually that all songs are in one continuous file. So since conversion would not "undo the merger" :d I will keep it as is..

Thanks guys :).

Yes I actually do not mind flac as a file type - but more so that it means usually that all songs are in one continuous file. So since conversion would not "undo the merger" :d I will keep it as is..

Thanks guys :).

If it is one file then there should be a cue file with it.
    The following tool "CUE Splitter" will split up the FLAC into individual FLAC files using this file.

http://www.medieval.it/cuesplitter-pc/menu-id-71.html

If it is one file then there should be a cue file with it.
    The following tool "CUE Splitter" will split up the FLAC into individual FLAC files using this file.

http://www.medieval.it/cuesplitter-pc/menu-id-71.html

wow cool, will give that a go too :D
    thanks a mil!

Btw just to say schaffer1969 that that worked, so I have the music now that I could not play. Feels good so thanks everyone.

Advertisement