Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Venison storage?

Options
  • 06-03-2016 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

The freezer is full and I have no more space. I have a two butchered joints and a bag of smaller cuts for bugers which are sitting in the cooler in plastic bags for the last three days.
    The carcass in question was shed-hung for only three days and was in excellent condition with temperatures during hanging which did not exceed 7degC.

I butchered the beast and fitted as much meat as possible into the freezer.
    I'm now left with three bags of meat in the cooler.
    So the question is this:-
    if you can hang a deer for two weeks then why couldn't I just keep the bagged meat in a cooler at the same temp?

I not suggesting that j keep it bagged got two full weeks but I could do with reassurance that my all my hard work and effort won't end with a bag of spoiled meat.
    Any advice will be received with thanks. Oh btw I shot this deer on the 29feb.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

You should get at least another week or more in the fridge but they must be taken out of the plastic bags or they will sweat. Maybe put them on a big plate and cover with another one but plastic in I fridge is no no

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

You really need to hang the carcass at a lower temperature, just above freezing point is best, 2-4 degrees
    I like to hang for a minimum of 14 days for the meat to relax and get tender. Even more important on an older deer

Good read on aging venison here
    http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/other/recipes/2006/01/deer-hang-time

"There are some persistent myths about aging venison that may cause you to stock your freezer with inferior meat this season. I'm sure you've heard them: Deer meat can't be aged like beef, because it dries out if left hanging. Or: Aging is simply "controlled rot," and why let good venison rot? And: You only need to hang deer a day or two for tender meat, so any longer is a waste of time.

None of this is true. To understand why, and to find out the best methods to age venison, we have to turn to science................................" more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

You need to get them vacuum packed, but this will only extend the shelf life out for the next week or two (unless your able to get a professional vacuum packaging done)
    The problem is even professional packaging does not extend the self life of meat that is cut into smaller pieces or individual portions.

You can try bottling the meat cut into smaller pieces but this requires kiliner jars, large pots and a degree of controversy over proper methods of cooking.

My next advice is on the level, guessing on what you have left under refrigeration I would strongly suggest cooking and eating the meat over the next week. Meat is meat, how and what you do with it when preparing / cooking it defines the dish.

Meat for burgers also equals lasagne, pies and various ethnic dishes, while in my experience most venison joints will yield good useable steaks. So bearing this in mind your pallet shouldn't suffer from 'venison fatigue ' over the next week or so.

For next year invest in another freezer, I use three and don't consider 10 or so animals over the season an excessive number as it last through out the off season.

Sorry if I sound preachy but it's better not to lose any meat to decay.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

If you were really stuck and had abit of time to put it together,or know somone who has a set up why not smoke one or both o of the joints?Smoked venison is a delicay and if done properly can be kept at room temp no trouble for weeks.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Tikka391

Hey Z, emmm I'm sure if your really stuck theres pleanty of lads with pleanty of room on their freezers. If you know what I mean. (only kidding)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    If you were really stuck and had abit of time to put it together,or know somone who has a set up why not smoke one or both o of the joints?Smoked venison is a delicay and if done properly can be kept at room temp no trouble for weeks.

I second this.

Or you could make your own jerky. I used to make my own in the oven at home from goose meat marinated in Caribbean Jerk sauce (Reggae-Reggae sauce here).

Advertisement