Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coinstar mahines?

Options
  • 06-03-2016 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Hi, I have jars of coppers at home that i want to convert to cash. Do you guys know if any of the supermarkets in town has coinstar machines?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

IIRC the Centra on Wellington Quay has one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Hokuto wrote: »
    Hi, I have jars of coppers at home that i want to convert to cash. Do you guys know if any of the supermarkets in town has coinstar machines?

If you use them in the self-service checkouts of supermarkets you won't have to pay the 10/12% service charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭jasonb

I've had some self-service checkouts refuse coins after a while, so it can be slow to get rid of them if you have a lot of coins as you have to do it over several transactions...

J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Bag them and bring them to the bank.

I paid for a holiday with my change jar a couple of years ago. My current one has enough for a laptop I've my eye on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Hokuto wrote: »

Were all the answers you got in the D15 forum no use to you? You had loads of answers over there before you started this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    If you use them in the self-service checkouts of supermarkets you won't have to pay the 10/12% service charge.
    Good advice, thats what I do. Just use up a maybe 4 or 5 euro of small coins at a time each time you do your shopping though. If you bring say 40 or 50 euro worth of coins in at once I think the machine will reject most of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Think there is one in the Tesco in Jervis. Although as others have mentioned, you're probably better off using the self service machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Supervalu in Talbot St has one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Tesco in Phib.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

Tesco on Parnell street has one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭carlaboi

Centra in Rialto, Tesco in Ballyfermot and Jervis St

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

maryishere wrote: »
    Good advice, thats what I do. Just use up a maybe 4 or 5 euro of small coins at a time each time you do your shopping though.
    I grab a fist full of coins from my pot going to tesco. You can dump them in and then pay the balance with your CC. I only do it when I know its not busy.

I think there was talk of some bank having a zero commission machine, maybe just for customers. Its crazy that the central bank do not offer a zero commission service, these machines must cost a tiny fraction of the cost of reminting hoarded coins.

Also do not fall for the tesco coinstar wording. Many people were tricked into thinking if they opted for the tesco voucher that it was commission free. You would think some supermarket would legitimately do this and give you vouchers. It would also give them a good supply of coins for their tills.

Advertisement