Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Games for a 10 year old

• 06-03-2016 2:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

My 10 year recently got his first gaming PC. Is there any games that you would recommend that would be suitable to get him started. They would need to be Pegi 12 or below.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Off top of my head, Minecraft and Terraria are probably two of the better games that would be suitable.

The LEGO games are also quite good imo, so might be worth picking one of them up. Depends on IP that would most interest him, but Marvel Superheroes, Star Wars or Harry Potter would be my picks.

Portal and Portal 2 are games you can't go wrong with either.

I think depending on what sort of 10 year old, he is, you'd probably get away with games rated for older audience. Something like Skyrim, Dragon Age:Inquisition, Shadow of Mordor etc. Or, if he's ever shown an interest in strategy games, there's a whole world you could move into there with Age of Empires 2, Rise of Nations, Civ 5, Company of Heroes etc.

Probably too late since he's now got a gaming PC, but just get him a DS, and something like Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Mario games etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

GTAV

;)

I kid of course.

Good suggestions above like Minecraft, but I'd also look at 'The Sims' 'Sim city/ city skyline' or titles like 'civilization5' and old style games like Grim Fandingo and day of the Tentacle.

Also Curse of Monkey Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Rayman Origins and Rayman legends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Minecraft and Rocket League

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Dungeon Defenders, Guacamelee, OlliOlli, Overlord

There's currently a Star Wars Humble Bundle if he's into Star Wars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Cities skylines, Kerbal Space Program, Rayman legends.

Can't recommend rocket league for kids, the behaviour and etiquette of other players is sometimes appalling.

What genres do you think he'd like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Irishder wrote: »
    My 10 year recently got his first gaming PC. Is there any games that you would recommend that would be suitable to get him started. They would need to be Pegi 12 or below.

Thanks
    elfy4eva wrote: »
    Rayman Origins and Rayman legends.

This just reminded me i have Rayman Origins in my steam inventory, bought over a year ago i think but never got around to playing it (and unlikely to do so!). If you want it to start of your sons collection Irishder you're welcome to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Irishder

Dungeon Defenders, Guacamelee, OlliOlli, Overlord

There's currently a Star Wars Humble Bundle if he's into Star Wars

Excuse my ignorance but what is a Humble Bundle?

Lu Tze wrote: »
    This just reminded me i have Rayman Origins in my steam inventory, bought over a year ago i think but never got around to playing it (and unlikely to do so!). If you want it to start of your sons collection Irishder you're welcome to it.

That would be great thanks, i signed up to steam but how would i download this game from you?

Thanks Again

Turtwig wrote: »
    Cities skylines, Kerbal Space Program, Rayman legends.

Can't recommend rocket league for kids, the behaviour and etiquette of other players is sometimes appalling.

What genres do you think he'd like?

Adventure games, he loves minecraft but i dont think he is really using the PC to its full potential with minecraft. It looks like something that my Commodore 64 could of run. Showing my age there!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭pawrick

Excuse my ignorance but what is a Humble Bundle?

https://www.humblebundle.com/star-wars

they do different offers the whole time, interesting concept with some of the money going to charity

sign up to steam to see the games available for pcs and get an idea of whats available and find out what your sons friends like to play also. One of my nephews is about that age and minecraft would be one of his favorite games, he doesnt have a pc though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Just get him some steam credit and let him choose himself. Steam is like iTunes for PC gaming, the software can be parent locked with a pin and I'm pretty sure it restricts the content he could see and buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Giving him Minecraft is pretty much the childrens version of crack. Just an FYI. That's from personal experience. Every waking moment is my son talking about mobs etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Adventure games, he loves minecraft but i dont think he is really using the PC to its full potential with minecraft. It looks like something that my Commodore 64 could of run. Showing my age there!!!

Don't judge a book by its cover. Minecraft might not be visually appealing but it's a very highly rated game, especially among his age group.

It also wouldn't have come close to running on your C64 or any consumer level electronics available in its lifetime. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I would recommend Robocraft. It's free on Steam.

It's like minecraft except that you build robots and then fight other robots. There's no blood or violence other than blocks falling off robots when they get shot.

From looking at the game's forums, it seems that a lot of adults play it with their children. Profanity is filtered and nobody really uses the chat function except to wish people a good game.

Anyway, it's free so if he doesn't like it he can just uninstall it.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭CliCliW

There's also the Sims (may have already been mentioned) if you're liberal enough (has a 12 age rating I think?), or if he likes strategy there's age of empires. I'm trying to think what else.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭LFC CONNAUGHTON

If you're not sure what genres he likes maybe you should get him a highly rated game from a few, so he gets a taster? For turn based strategy I highly recommend Civ V, never thought I would like this game as much as I do when I first bought it. For a city builder you can't go wrong with Cities Skylines, this series has overtaken the simcity franchise in terms of quality with this title. Sports/ Cars- Absolutely must buy Rocket League, honestly think it is the best game of the last few years and has endless hours of gameplay. For a child oriented shooter, you could get Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare, this is a great game for children to get them into shooters without the violence.

Advertisement