Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions

Options
  • 06-03-2016 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking to plant a tree that will give me a little privacy out the back garden. The neighbours tree looks perfect but I cant seem to find the name of it on google image search. Can someone help tell me the type of tree this is?

Any other recommendations for this garden?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,606 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The pictures are tiny, hard to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

shaydy wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm looking to plant a tree that will give me a little privacy out the back garden. The neighbours tree looks perfect but I cant seem to find the name of it on google image search. Can someone help tell me the type of tree this is?

Any other recommendations for this garden?

From the colouring the nearer one looks like a pho tibia (red robin) but difficult to be sure with tiny photos

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shaydy

From the colouring the nearer one looks like a pho tibia (red robin) but difficult to be sure with tiny photos

Sorry about that folks, ill try upload better versions.

I think you have nailed it poppy!

Seems like a nice tree, I had thought of putting some bamboo down but Im afraid ill get it wrong and end up with shoots all over the place

Updated pics

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

shaydy wrote: »
    Sorry about that folks, ill try upload better versions.

I think you have nailed it poppy!

Seems like a nice tree, I had thought of putting some bamboo down but Im afraid ill get it wrong and end up with shoots all over the place

Photinia would take a long time to get to that size. It is a large shrub more than a tree. Having said that they respond very well to shaping so would look very well and I think would be a good option for you. If you are willing to spend a bit more on a mature plant I think it would be worth it in the long run.
    As long as you are sure to plant a clump forming bamboo they are relatively easy to keep under control. Or if you are worried you can plant them in a large pot or container

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,606 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Looks like 2 different plants/trees there. Maybe just my eyes!

I can see a red robin ok, but it looks like theres a different tree behind it.

Photinia would take a long time to get to that size. It is a large shrub more than a tree. Having said that they respond very well to shaping so would look very well and I think would be a good option for you. If you are willing to spend a bit more on a mature plant I think it would be worth it in the long run.
    As long as you are sure to plant a clump forming bamboo they are relatively easy to keep under control. Or if you are worried you can plant them in a large pot or container

Thanks for the advice, ill definitely go the extra few quid for a more mature plant.

Any advice on a supplier of mature plants, I'm in Dublin 15. I see there's a place in Navan that supply them which wouldn't bee too bad to get too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect the best place to get a choice in terms of maturity might be tully's in north dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Shirley1246

palm trees will be better

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I would go for a large shrub. Cherry Laurel is evergreen, can be pruned to shape and grows quick

Mine is 12ft high now, planted a few years ago
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cherry-Laurel-Evergreen-Hedging-45-60cm/dp/B015QHYYOO/ref=sr_1_1?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1457444387&sr=1-1&keywords=cherry+laurel

• Advertisement
Advertisement