Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon rip offs for irish residents

• 06-03-2016 5:09pm

I was looking for a small part and found it on amazon.com for $9. It advertised free shipping within the US. However on reading further I noticed that 'this item ships from Ireland' , so I proceeded further to try to buy it - item became 8.70EUR and now postage of 14.60Eur got added on.

So irish vendor would sell and ship to the USA from Ireland for 8 dollars but would want almost three times that to send within ireland (item was suitable for letter post as well!).

I then tracked down the same item on amazon.co.uk from the same seller, shipping from Ireland. There it cost 6GBP with free shipping withing the uk but 4.99 extra to ship it to Ireland (ie within ireland)... Not impressed..

Soo... converting everything to approx euros

Irish retailer will sell and deliver to US for ... 7.26 EUR
    Irish retailer will sell and deliver to UK for ... 7.75 EUR
    Irish retailer will sell and deliver to Ireland for 23 Eur via com
    Irish retailer will sell and deliver to Ireland for 14 Eur via co.uk

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭flutered

use parcel motel dpd wizard or an posts new service, or else name and shame the seller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

So it's not actually Amazon ripping anyone off then? Title of op slightly misleading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Its costs money to send things. Why shouldn't you pay for that?

No rip off here.

So it's not actually Amazon ripping anyone off then? Title of op slightly misleading.

Nope, title would be 'amazon rips off irish residents'. Its not.

RossieMan wrote: »
    Its costs money to send things. Why shouldn't you pay for that?

No rip off here.

Why should an irish online retailer sell much cheaper to people in the US and the UK than to people in Ireland? Thats a rip off in my book.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Why should an irish online retailer sell much cheaper to people in the US and the UK than to people in Ireland? Thats a rip off in my book.

Could you put up link to the item.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Thats a rip off in my book.

Maybe, but not by Amazon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭ongarite

Are you sure it didn't say " this product will ship to Ireland".
    I have never seen on Amazon "this item ships from Ireland" on any Amazon site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

probably the seller is not based in Ireland and clicked Ireland in error.

Or could be based in Northern Ireland

Company is in South East

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Company is in South East

Why dont you contact the company directly and ask for a price to ship it within Ireland?

Every response has questioned what I stated, rather than addressing the issue. I will take it up directly with amazon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Every response has questioned what I stated, rather than addressing the issue. I will take it up directly with amazon.

You've fallen into one of those "don't believe the OP" threads.

I would be annoyed by that kind of stuff too OP. Being Irish, we are used to getting ripped off. Question this and nobody believes you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

I didnt question what you stated!

I simply suggested an alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

goz83 wrote: »
    I would be annoyed by that kind of stuff too OP. Being Irish, we are used to getting ripped off. Question this and nobody believes you.

The issue people have is that it's not Amazon ripping anyone off, it's the seller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

ThisRegard wrote: »
    The issue people have is that it's not Amazon ripping anyone off, it's the seller.

The "S" would have to be somewhere else for that to have been implied. Here, let me show you;

Amazon rip offs for Irish residents.

Amazon rips off Irish residents.

See the difference?

One implied rip offs on the site (financially speaking), where the other implies the site itself is ripping off Irish customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 brendane

Why can't the op put up the link to the product. Maybe people will be able to find a cheaper source locally. Surely a local company will sell somewhere domestically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

OP does the Irish seller have their own website or facebook page or even a number where you can ring and order the item to be delivered to you in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

brendane wrote: »
    Why can't the op put up the link to the product. Maybe people will be able to find a cheaper source locally. Surely a local company will sell somewhere domestically
    I am also interested to see if the seller really is shipping from Ireland. It could be a dropshipper.

Never understand why people do not post links for investigation. The item could be subject to price controls from the manufacturer, which is quite common.

If they are registered on amazon US and UK I would guess it has automated pricing outside of those areas. So if on amazon US it could treat Ireland the same as Mongolia as both might be international areas and the 3rd party seller may have no control over this.

Advertisement