Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunday newspapers outside churches..

• 06-03-2016 5:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭

Does anywhere keep up the tradition of selling the papers after mass anymore?
    Back in the day it was part of the Sunday routine, mass>paper>pub>dinner>pub.
    I remember when the Sunday World came out, if there was anything risqué on the front page a brick used to be placed over the offending em.. article.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

My brother worked on one. He stopped after it got robbed a couple of times.

At the time, the shops were not opened on Sundays so I'd say that's why they were popular.

I wouldn't mind if the shops closed on Sundays again. I was out shopping yesterday and it just makes the day such a rush. It makes the weekend go to fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Was it the Irish Catholic newspaper had a kids' column featuring some idiot that was barely able to spell...for 'comic' effect?

Local church that I never darken the doors of anymore had a wooden booth, gone for years now, selling 'approved' newspapers and the usual Catholic kitsch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Papers are still sold on a Sunday morning outside my local parish church and also outside the church in the neighbouring parish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Olishi4 wrote: »
    My brother worked on one. He stopped after it got robbed a couple of times.

At the time, the shops were not opened on Sundays so I'd say that's why they were popular.

I wouldn't mind if the shops closed on Sundays again. I was out shopping yesterday and it just makes the day such a rush. It makes the weekend go to fast.

Newsagents were always open on Sundays - it was simply handy for mass goers to pick up the paper outside the church before hitting the pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Newsagents were always open on Sundays - it was simply handy for mass goers to pick up the paper outside the church before hitting the pub.

Yea you are right. It wasn't worth the hassle of going all the way into the shopping centre to just get the paper but now a lot of people do their weekly shopping on Sundays so it's probably just handier for them to pick one up then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

Our local church had a man with a van selling papers, bread, milk and apple tarts. Blocks of ice cream in the summer too. Fierce enterprising altogether!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Was it the Irish Catholic newspaper had a kids' column featuring some idiot that was barely able to spell...for 'comic' effect?

Local church that I never darken the doors of anymore had a wooden booth, gone for years now, selling 'approved' newspapers and the usual Catholic kitsch.

Pudsy Ryan.I think he was in some catholic magazine aimed at kids,I can picture it now and the drawing of him that used to illustrate the columns but can't remember what magazine it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That was in the Far East magazine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Local catholic church had a car (illegally, as its on a junction) parked up selling the papers out of the boot - and yes, the bricks that were there to hold down the top copy would occasionally cover stuff; and the weekends with the big child abuse scandals in the church did seem to lead to some papers being missing - whether snapped up by eager readers or bought en masse by the priest I don't know!

A shopping centre across the road with an Easons killed it off.

It used to be the only place that sold 'the English papers' - the Fr. Ted bit about that is probably lost on younger generations now.

Advertisement