Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peyton Manning to Retire

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

One of the greatest.

I'm glad he got the second ring and finishes on that as it would have been sad to see him end the way it looked like ending around November. I just wish I had got to see more of him when he was in his prime.

However, the HGH allegations that came out last month do leave a stain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Sad to see him go but its the right time. Nice to see him go out on top and with more than the one ring.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Best of luck to him, great career and ended it perfectly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

To quote the Simpsons:

"But Krusty, why now? Why not twenty years ago?"

Got a massive favour with that D & coaching this year but probably deserved it on the basis of his career. Clearly one of the best, brilliant ability to read a D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Paully D wrote: »
    One of the greatest.

I'm glad he got the second ring and finishes on that as it would have been sad to see him end the way it looked like ending around November. I just wish I had got to see more of him when he was in his prime.

However, the HGH allegations that came out last month do leave a stain.

Really? In a sport that is absolutely rampant with PED abuse I don't think you can sling mud in just one direction at this point until the NFL address the issue of PED use properly instead of ignoring the obvious and having pathetic standards of drug testing and enforcement of failures. The evidence against Peyton is circumstantial at best and had the NFL been testing players properly we would have known whether he had taken PED's or not.

Peyton is undoubtedly one of the greatest QB's of all time. I enjoyed watching him for a long time and he'll be a lock for the HoF. #18 will definitely be missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 shaneomc2

Honestly I thought he would have retired after the Patriots postseason game last year. He didn't and deserved his ring this year. However if it wasn't for his #2 quarterback the Denver broncos wouldn't have been in the playoffs.

Sad to see him go will be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

its called pulling an elway cos not may people get to retire as superbowl champion qb - and he did it! Would some1 have given him 20 mill to play another year - absolutely - but to think that his final game was a superbowl win and getting the second ring... you can write that stuff tbh! Although we wont worry about his perfomance in that game!

Have to say i will miss manning playin - he is a ledge, a true great and will be first rounder HOF!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,384 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Very classy speech by peyton. Gave credit to his team mates and opponents by name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

watching it now, good luck to him in retirement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭me89

Very classy speech, top class.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

just watched it there, great speech

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Did Papa John get a shout out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Great career and a great QB. Obviously for pretty much all of us here we've grown up watching Manning and Brady and they are the gold standard for us in terms of what to expect from the quarterback position. There's been players with better physical tools than both but noone that did everything possible to be great quite like them. The work ethic of Manning and Brady and their ability to constantly improve is what sets them apart. Whatever people think about who is better between them it really is a case of 1A and 1B and it's been a real privilege to grow up and fall in love with the game watching them play.
    For me Manning's career was incredible and to be able to constantly have greatness expected of you and consistently deliver is hugely impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

As a Bronco fan since the 80's I've had the privilege to see 2 all time greats, Elway & Peyton. After the agonizing losses in the SuperBowls to then getting 2 in a row and then being dismantled 2 years ago to winning against all the odds this year, it's been special.
    Watching Peyton dismantle defenses was a joy to watch. Following him as he had that tremendous season 2 years ago, especially after the neck surgeries. To see him then finish it all off with a SuperBowl is fairytale stuff.
    So it's a big 'thank you' to both Peyton and Elway :)
    Omaha :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

He will be remembered as one of the greats of the game. A truly well deserved retirement if there ever was on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Anybody find it funny that everybody was calling him the Sheriff like it's been his nickname for all his career but it was only invented in the last couple of weeks?

I think somebody tweeted the Sheriff is retiring and my first instinct was who da fcuk is that?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

He's been called that for years in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

adrian522 wrote: »
    He's been called that for years in fairness.

Has he though? I only heard it in the lead up to the Super Bowl.

I believe John Gruden has always called him that but nobody else called him it till this year

never heard of it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Hazys wrote: »
    Has he though? I only heard it in the lead up to the Super Bowl.

I believe John Gruden has always called him that but nobody else called him it till this year

Maybe I watch too much NFL Network or whatever but it certainly seems to ring a bell for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

From Wiki:

"During a 2009 Monday Night Football game, Manning received the nickname "The Sheriff" from color commentator Jon Gruden due to his tendency to audible prior to the snap,[8] and he was one of the most recognizable and parodied players in the NFL."

Yeah, I hated when they used it, but now that I think about it, I think I just hate all QB nicknames. Make me cringe a bit (Daryl Lamonica excepted)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,448 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

A drug taking abuser of women.
    Good riddance

A drug taking abuser of women.
    Good riddance

you stay classy :rolleyes:

Advertisement