Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Starting out gear

• 06-03-2016 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Im just starting out biking, getting the use of a 125cc Honda in the next few weeks,

Im just wondering about gear (not the junkie kind!) and where best to get it, how much to spend etc.

In particular

- Lock
    - Helmet
    - Gloves

Thanks a mill in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Cotters are having a sale next weekend, should have good value.

Buy the best you can afford, you can get everything apart from the helmet 2nd hand, as it's your well being you're protecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Del2005 wrote: »
    Cotters are having a sale next weekend, should have good value.

Buy the best you can afford, you can get everything apart from the helmet 2nd hand, as it's your well being you're protecting.

Whereabouts is Cotters? :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Helmet do not buy cheap.
    Lock make it at least 2.
    Good rain gear.
    Lessons???
    Even go a little extra and do course.

Keep your distance from other road users and always think that anyone else on the road does not see you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Just try donedeal and adverts.

Make sure to buy a new lid though. As someone else said there's a sale on at cotters on 12th and 13th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Amazon seem to have reasonable prices for helmets and gloves - worth buying through them?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

I would buy a helmet from a dedicated bike gear website like FC Moto. Just make sure to try the helmet you're interested in on for size in an Irish shop before ordering it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Well I would buy the best helmet u can afford and a good back protector, skimp on everything else if you want and upgrade them as you go. Also good boots have saved me serious injury more then once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

First.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

I'd get the helmet in-person rather than online. A good fit is one of the most important things to consider with buying a helmet. Try on a bunch of different models/brands, then see how they hold up on http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/ and then get whatever one is the best fitting with the best rating that you can best afford.

best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Get a good helmet.

My own recommendation is, if you're not in a rush, wait for the Aldi Motorcycle gear. Usually happens in April.

I got trousers, jacket, boots, gloves and a balaclava last year and it's served me superbly. Cheap as anything too, but they didn't skimp on quality. Just do a quick read of the online reviews.

You'll get kitted out excellently for about €200.

Or you could consider: THIS STARTER KIT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Here's a handy guide on gear from 'Think!' (UK GOV)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Whereabouts is Cotters? :-D

Ballymount

http://www.cottermc.com/about-us

Advertisement