Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Better camera for long-term travel

• 06-03-2016 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

I'll be travelling for several months this year and I'm looking into purchasing a mirrorless or compact camera. I had considered bringing along my D5300 but I want to travel as light as possible and I feel it will make some outdoors activities difficult.

I've been looking at two cameras mainly, the Sony RX100 III and the Sony a6000 (€700 and €670, respectively). For an extra €30, I was leaning towards the a6000 but after doing some research online, it seems the 16-50mm kits lens gets a pretty bad rep. To upgrade to a decent lens, that's a few extra hundred. The RX100 is a lot smaller and I've seen some very good images taken on this but you're limited to its built-in zoom lens.

Does anyone have advice based on the above? Or possibly some other suggestions based on their own travel photography? I love photography and do it as a hobby, that's all.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

When I travel light I take my Canon G12. (Before that it was a G9 but a friend bought that and I upgraded) I think it's up to the G16 now.

When I got the G12 there was an offer of a kit with the dedicated underwater housing. I picked it up from HK for only a bit more than the camera alone was being sold locally. It's great for travel. One thing is that when it's in the housing it's very tough and so I can pack in the checked in luggage. The housing is also good for dust and other environmental hazards.

The camera itself is very capable. Like most smaller units bumping the ISO can be an issue but still better than film used to perform. Throw in a Gorillapod, a couple of spare batteries and it will handle lots of situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sheepman

Thanks for the reply! I think I'll go with the rx100, I don't want to drag around any extra lenses or gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Fuji x100T. very pocketable, fantastically sharp and a dream to use. My 5D Mk2 rarely gets used anymore, but the x100T i brought everywhere.

Advertisement