Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the best bank for a college student?

• 06-03-2016 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I am looking to join a bank as a college student and am wondering what would be the best one? Are they all the same, are some not trustworthy, are some filled with more benefits, etc.?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

AIB is the best in Dublin City, as they literally have a branch on every major city street. They are always well staffed and the staff are knowledgeable. I find BOI rarely know their company policies on most issues. BOI online banking was horrific years ago. They might have changed recently.

AIB also are quite flexible on credit facilities ie overdraft and credit card. I would apply for either if you are financial responsible.So you can get a credit rating.

I would open a KBC account in September to get their €100 joining voucher. I would join AIB in the meantime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Any bank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

As someone who has put 2 sons through college, my recommendation to you is to open an account with the same bank as a person who may be making regular payments to you. I'm with PTSB and my boys opened accounts there and it was great for when I got a call for some 'emergency funds'. With online banking, money was in their accounts immediately. Just a consideration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

As someone who has put 2 sons through college, my recommendation to you is to open an account with the same bank as a person who may be making regular payments to you. I'm with PTSB and my boys opened accounts there and it was great for when I got a call for some 'emergency funds'. With online banking, money was in their accounts immediately. Just a consideration

This is great advice. All the banks will have free banking anyway, so there's not much difference between them.

Advertisement