Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having trouble with noisy neighbours

Options
  • 06-03-2016 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Sharing a house that is split into two. Im upstairs. Neighbours below us are constantly noisy. They have parties most weekends even though in the contract it says no parties after 10 pm. Have went to the landlord a number of times but I think he is afraid of them and it hasnt got better. Would move but there is nothing around within my price range. Any tips on what to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Have you spoken to the neighbours about it?

If so, and they haven't changed, you can open a third party dispute of anti social behaviour with the PRTB. If the landlord won't do anything, the PRTB will.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If your upstairs im sure you walking around is noisey......

You could ask them 1st and after that you could contact Garda or council and lodge a noise complaint.

Keep records of times and dates .. Any evidence to use against in future.

Is it on all nights or once in blue moon.

I would guess there is little to no sound proofing.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Micky8728

When they moved in they told us to bang on the ceiling if they got to loud which they just ignore. Have banged on the walls downstairs a few times to tell them to keep it down. He just has one of those annoying voices can hear him in every room in the house. The landloard has gone into them a few times about this but nothing changed got louder if anything.. I think they are trying to get us to move because they know we have a child on the way next month

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

They will be in for a shock believe me.

Kids are so noisey its unreal something so small can make such a racket.

Well hopefully they will move when the baby comes. Donno how we could.raise a child with that racket going all hours of the night

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Has your landlord got a fire safety cert for splitting the dwelling into 2 flats?
    Depends on how far you want to go with this complaint. The local Building Control office would be interested if he hasn't got a FSC and depending on when he done the works, planning and a disability access certificate.

kceire wrote: »
    Has your landlord got a fire safety cert for splitting the dwelling into 2 flats?
    Depends on how far you want to go with this complaint. The local Building Control office would be interested if he hasn't got a FSC and depending on when he done the works, planning and a disability access certificate.

Not sure. Its just a normal two story house. We have the front door as our only entry and exit. The neighbours below have the back door. He told us the velux windows are a fire exit but i dont see how as we would be stuck on the roof then.

Micky8728 wrote: »
    Not sure. Its just a normal two story house. We have the front door as our only entry and exit. The neighbours below have the back door. He told us the velux windows are a fire exit but i dont see how as we would be stuck on the roof then.

Split into separate occupancy. It needs planning, Fire cert and disability access certificate. I would guess he has none. I would also guess that the tenancy cannot be registered?

PS. Velux in the roof is a vail form of escape window, it's also a valid form of rescue window subject to its positioning within the room itself.

Split into separate occupancy. It needs planning, Fire cert and disability access certificate. I would guess he has none. I would also guess that the tenancy cannot be registered?

PS. Velux in the roof is a vail form of escape window, it's also a valid form of rescue window subject to its positioning within the room itself.

Is it worth contacting the Local Building Office about?

Keep in mind that if it doesn't comply etc you will have to move out so if you don't want that to happen you should probably hold off reporting the LL.

• Advertisement

Micky8728 wrote: »
    Is it worth contacting the Local Building Office about?

Yes, 100%, at the very least its a Fire Safety Concern, but.......please read below :
    Keep in mind that if it doesn't comply etc you will have to move out so if you don't want that to happen you should probably hold off reporting the LL.

Yes, 100%, at the very least its a Fire Safety Concern, but.......please read below :

Thanks for your help.. Is there anyway of checking my property online if it has fire safety cert first withoit contacting the building office..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Had a similar problem years ago, neighbour loved his late night parties ......... turns out I could be quite noisy myself early mornings, used to get up at 6am and turn the tv on full blast in the sitting room, radio on full volume in the kitchen while I made a bit of a racket making breakfast for a few mates I'd invited round, they'd hang around my place until well past lunch time having a (loud) chat and a few laughs etc. ........ the neighbour soon got the message! ;)

Advertisement