Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treesculpture - St Annes Park

Options
  • 06-03-2016 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,276 ✭✭✭✭

I didn't even know tree sculpture was a thing, but there's a fantastic one taking shape in St Annes Park.

I haven't been in the area so much due to the works, but if you are at the Causeway junction, it's really worth getting out of the car and taking a look at this...

http://photopol.blogspot.ie/2015/10/tree-of-wildlife.html

craggs_16.jpg

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Afaik it's not yet finished with the fella returning this Spring. Done with chainsaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I preferred the tree!! Massive cypress, stunning. But according to the experts it was ailing and this is the result. Whilst the skill is amazing I would have loved to see something a bit more abstract and not as obvious. In saying that, it's a reminder of what we have in the area so close to the city, further strengthening the attachment people have to nature and enhanching the UNESCO biosphere status.

And, it's certainly better than simply chopping it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

With the standard of Irish driving it's a bit of a concern where it is. Very nice nonetheless!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

My old man jumped up on the scaffolding one day and got some great photos up close to it, some amazing details on it.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I preferred the tree!! Massive cypress, stunning. But according to the experts it was ailing and this is the result. Whilst the skill is amazing I would have loved to see something a bit more abstract and not as obvious. In saying that, it's a reminder of what we have in the area so close to the city, further strengthening the attachment people have to nature and enhanching the UNESCO biosphere status.

And, it's certainly better than simply chopping it down.

Agree 100%, the tree there was beautiful. The sculpture looks like a soviet monument.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

cisk wrote: »
    Agree 100%, the tree there was beautiful. The sculpture looks like a soviet monument.

If the tree was in danger of coming down it needed to be dealt with. At least they did something with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

More of this kind of thing.
    Great to see tourists on Dublin bikes admiring it, as well as locals who probably walked past it but never looked up!
    It help detract from all the road works going on around Dollymount coast too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

cisk wrote: »

The tree was dead. If it wasn't it'd be covered in fresh shoots by now. Think it got hit by lightning...

Advertisement