Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What subjects in Leaving Cert if you want to do Medicine

Options
  • 06-03-2016 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

What subjects would you pick for an all round student to maximise points

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

Do subjects that interest you is what I would say. I would probably do at least two science subjects, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Caoimhgh1n wrote: »
    Do subjects that interest you is what I would say. I would probably do at least two science subjects, though.

Honours maths, biology and chemistry would be pretty vital for medicine. For knowledge and getting through the course rather than points maximisation.

athtrasna wrote: »
    Honours maths, biology and chemistry would be pretty vital for medicine.

Just like I recommended?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Caoimhgh1n wrote: »
    Just like I recommended?

Where? Two science subjects and no mention of maths?

I've a biomedical type degree and can't emphasise enough how important those subjects are. I also did physics for leaving cert but that was of little value in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

English, Irish, Maths as givens

Then Chemistry

Then one of
    Physics or Biology

Option to do both

Maybe a language as well

• Advertisement

athtrasna wrote: »
    Where? Two science subjects and no mention of maths?

I've a biomedical type degree and can't emphasise enough how important those subjects are. I also did physics for leaving cert but that was of little value in college.

It should be a given OP is doing honours maths, that shouldn't even be a consideration.

Two sciences would also be important.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

AFAIK You are given the option to skip the first year of undergraduate medicine if you do Biology, Chemistry and Physics.

Advertisement