Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MLS 2016

• 07-03-2016 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

It's back! Some wild scores already. 4-3 win fir NYCFC earlier.

I am watching the repeat of last years final and nothing has changed. Portland are a better team than Crew, even if their goal was more good luck than good skill.

Anyone else watching?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

It's back! Some wild scores already. 4-3 win fir NYCFC earlier.

I am watching the repeat of last years final and nothing has changed. Portland are a better team than Crew, even if their goal was more good luck than good skill.

Anyone else watching?

Yeah I've watched the 2 games tonight. Fair share of goals!!! The NYC game was just mental. End to end for 90 minutes with pretty much no defending!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Timbers - Crew match is the best game I've seen today, and I must have watched a dozen since 11 am this morning. A fair bit of quality to match the effort, hope it bodes well for the season ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

That Higuain goal was sexy for Crew. Good, fun game but lacking killer instincts at times.

Dunno who I want to win this year. Hm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

CSF wrote: »
    Yeah I've watched the 2 games tonight. Fair share of goals!!! The NYC game was just mental. End to end for 90 minutes with pretty much no defending!!!

Same story for NYCFC this season so it seems. The Crew game was very enjoyable, serious lack of killer instinct from Asprilla and Adi on the counter, had three or four clear opportunities on the break that they wasted.

Watching NYCFC is tough. All you can see are adverts. Real eye sore of a stadium. Tough sharing with the biggest mlb team

• Advertisement

Ex-LOI ref Alan Kelly reffing this one too. Villa's 2nd shouldn't have stood.

CSF wrote: »
    Ex-LOI ref Alan Kelly reffing this one too. Villa's 2nd shouldn't have stood.

Probably not but Toronto are defending like amateurs and are rightly losing this game. Think their goalie has been useless.

Giovinco looks alright, needs the rest of the team to help him out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Watching NYCFC is tough. All you can see are adverts. Real eye sore of a stadium. Tough sharing with the biggest mlb team

I like it! Bar the width of the pitch. Good atmosphere there too.

Anyone see Accam's goal the other night vs Orlando? Insane pace.

****ing hell neither team want to win this. Lopez misses a great free header fir NY and then up the other end, keeper passes right to a Toronto lad, 3 lads pushing into the box and he is useless with the pass. Great chances gine a begging.

Also above, missed that goal...any chance of a vid/vine of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

****ing hell neither team want to win this. Lopez misses a great free header fir NY and then up the other end, keeper passes right to a Toronto lad, 3 lads pushing into the box and he is useless with the pass. Great chances gine a begging.

Also above, missed that goal...any chance of a vid/vine of it?

Who is the Irish commentator? Is it Darren O'Dea?

Van.Bosch wrote: »

It is yeah.

Video of the Accam goal at this link
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/03/11/goal-david-accam-kicks-jets-and-blasts-past-orlando-defense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Van.Bosch wrote: »

Hardly. Is'nt he with some Scottish outfit now?

Hardly. Is'nt he with some Scottish outfit now?

Pretty sure the commentators for these kinds of things aren't actually at the games. It was Darren O'Dea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I've moved to the SF Bay Area, so SJ Earthquakes are my local team. Stadium is only 15 mins away from me, so going to check them out this season.

Went to the Earthquakes vs Portland Timbers game yesterday and it was a very good game. Fantastic goal from Quincy Amerikwa. Really good little player. He's bullish, hot-headed, passionate and has a great eye for goal. This lad is going to be a great player.

Avaya Stadium is a fantastic stadium as well. 18,000 capacity and lots of nice little technology features (being in Silicon Valley and all) :-) Biggest outdoor bar in North America behind the goal as well... Looking forward to coming back. Best MLS stadium that I've been in (Chicago Fire's Toyota Park a very close second).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

I've moved to the SF Bay Area, so SJ Earthquakes are my local team. Stadium is only 15 mins away from me, so going to check them out this season.

Went to the Earthquakes vs Portland Timbers game yesterday and it was a very good game. Fantastic goal from Quincy Amerikwa. Really good little player. He's bullish, hot-headed, passionate and has a great eye for goal. This lad is going to be a great player.

Avaya Stadium is a fantastic stadium as well. 18,000 capacity and lots of nice little technology features (being in Silicon Valley and all) :-) Biggest outdoor bar in North America behind the goal as well... Looking forward to coming back. Best MLS stadium that I've been in (Chicago Fire's Toyota Park a very close second).

My favourite is my local - Red Bull Arena

022.jpg
    Arial-View.jpg
    Also Sporting KC's
    sporting-kc-stadium.jpg

RBA looks like a lovely stadium alright. I lived in NY for a while and went to see the MetroStars in the old Giants Stadium. Seems like a long time ago now! Lothar Matthias and Donadoni were knocking around then if I remember correctly 😀 Also a young Tim Howard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I said the same thing in Toronto, just never could find a bother, I used to see the players regularly, just never felt the urge to go to a game :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Vancouver Whitecaps are my local team. They're pretty average and no one expects much but I still head along to the odd game. Went to the Galaxy and NY games last year but that was mainly to see Keane, Lamapard, Villa and Pirlo play

That was a brilliant goal. Pure joy to waych! It really looked like the keeper would get it but the weight on the shot was perfect

• Advertisement

Dunno if anyone is watching but this is my first time watching DC united. I am liking their jersey and they're playing some nice stuff here so far. Colorado not looking sharp, few dirty tackles too.

Initally thought I'd go for Colorado but Dc are swaying me! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Dunno if anyone is watching but this is my first time watching DC united. I am liking their jersey and they're playing some nice stuff here so far. Colorado not looking sharp, few dirty tackles too.

Initally thought I'd go for Colorado but Dc are swaying me! :)

Their jersey is unreal and their crest is actually a new one that they just brought in.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Their jersey is unreal and their crest is actually a new one that they just brought in.

Ya crest is **** cool too. Remind me of leverkusen a little. Shag all fans at the stadium though. Draw was probably a fair result.

Kansas Toronto next. I love Joze Alitidore so hopefully he gets on and knocks a couple in

Just picked up a couple of tickets for SJ Earthquakes vs NY Red Bull in April. It's a Wednesday night game, so should be something nice to do during the week :-)

Having watched the Earthquakes vs Galaxy game in LA at the weekend, it just backs up my observation about the refereeing standard here. Unfortunately, it is pretty bad. The ref in that game was an absolute shambles. Lost control of the game from the very first minute. Inconsistent and pig-headed. The sending off of the San Jose player just before half-time was one of the most ridiculous decisions that I've ever seen. It's a shame to see such bad officiating.

I was also successful in the draw to buy tickets for the MLS All Stars vs Arsenal in July (game is in San Jose), but the ticket prices were crazy. They were looking from $180 to $300 odd for what is essentially a pre-season friendly for Arsenal. You're grand, I'll watch it on TV. The tickets for the Copa America games in Levi's Stadium are cheaper! The seat that I bought for an MLS game was $30. Same seat for the MLS All Star game was $180. Half way line had the $300 tickets ($343 if I remember correctly)... Crazy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Just picked up a couple of tickets for SJ Earthquakes vs NY Red Bull in April. It's a Wednesday night game, so should be something nice to do during the week :-)

Having watched the Earthquakes vs Galaxy game in LA at the weekend, it just backs up my observation about the refereeing standard here. Unfortunately, it is pretty bad. The ref in that game was an absolute shambles. Lost control of the game from the very first minute. Inconsistent and pig-headed. The sending off of the San Jose player just before half-time was one of the most ridiculous decisions that I've ever seen. It's a shame to see such bad officiating.

I was also successful in the draw to buy tickets for the MLS All Stars vs Arsenal in July (game is in San Jose), but the ticket prices were crazy. They were looking from $180 to $300 odd for what is essentially a pre-season friendly for Arsenal. You're grand, I'll watch it on TV. The tickets for the Copa America games in Levi's Stadium are cheaper! The seat that I bought for an MLS game was $30. Same seat for the MLS All Star game was $180. Half way line had the $300 tickets ($343 if I remember correctly)... Crazy!

Yeah, I can't get over how much they're willing to fleece the public. Jersey costs are ludicrous too. Between 120 and 150 dollars for a jersey is just nuts.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Yeah, I can't get over how much they're willing to fleece the public. Jersey costs are ludicrous too. Between 120 and 150 dollars for a jersey is just nuts.

Yeah the jerseys are pricey. The have a two-tier offering. They sell the replica for around $90, then the 'authentic' player's game day jersey for around $120. If you want to get a name and number, that's another 30 to 40!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Yeah the jerseys are pricey. The have a two-tier offering. They sell the replica for around $90, then the 'authentic' player's game day jersey for around $120. If you want to get a name and number, that's another 30 to 40!

Bought the Toronto jersey while I was their, it was madness the price of kits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Same prices you would pay for any football Jersey or other sports top you pay over there.

I did think that the price of the LA Galaxy jersey I bought at $90 was mad expensive. It is mad but we're not far behind their ludicrous prices here any more. €70 for the new Ireland jersey is outrageous. I remember getting change from €50 for new jerseys.

• Advertisement

That's insane money for a jersey! Especially since they're probably made for pennies in China. I thought they were bad enough here at 60-70 euro but over 100 smackers?! I would never pay that.

Same with that Arsenal friendly money. The sport is getting out of hand

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I did think that the price of the LA Galaxy jersey I bought at $90 was mad expensive. It is mad but we're not far behind their ludicrous prices here any more. €70 for the new Ireland jersey is outrageous. I remember getting change from €50 for new jerseys.

Yeah, they really gouge the prices before the big international tournaments... Drop them down soon after to get rid of them. Usual tricks! :)

Getting ready for New England v Orlando here, once I pull myself away from this Barca game. Kaka starting, baptista also...that the same lad who played in the prem that one time? Thought he had retired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Watched Portland - NYC last night. Very enjoyable game, Portland dominated most of the game but NYC scored two brilliant goals to win 2-1.

Really enjoy watching the MLS, the standard might not be brilliant but it's very entertaining.

NYC are now joint leaders of the Eastern conference with only 4 wins out of 12 games!

Johner wrote: »
    Watched Portland - NYC last night. Very enjoyable game, Portland dominated most of the game but NYC scored two brilliant goals to win 2-1.

Really enjoy watching the MLS, the standard might not be brilliant but it's very entertaining.

NYC are now joint leaders of the Eastern conference with only 4 wins out of 12 games!

That is where the MLS falls down, you have Montreal 1st in the East but would not even be in the top 7 in a full league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

That is where the MLS falls down, you have Montreal 1st in the East but would not even be in the top 7 in a full league

Does it not make it more exciting as you get 2 different title races to be interested in each year rather than simply one league with one title race.

• Advertisement

Does it not make it more exciting as you get 2 different title races to be interested in each year rather than simply one league with one title race.

There is not 2 title races, you don't win a trophy for finishing 1st in the conference but you do get into the CONACAF Champions League if you finish 1st in the conference that does not have the 1st overall unless it is a Canadian team.

All the conference table is really for is to see where you start and have home advantage in the play off, as it stands a team who finishes 14 over all could be MLS champions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

There is not 2 title races, you don't win a trophy for finishing 1st in the conference but you do get into the CONACAF Champions League if you finish 1st in the conference that does not have the 1st overall unless it is a Canadian team.

All the conference table is really for is to see where you start and have home advantage in the play off, as it stands a team who finishes 14 over all could be MLS champions

Sorry what I meant is that the race is to qualify for the playoffs so you get 2 qualification races and therefore more interest as there are 2 races to discuss rather than 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Might be of interest...

top 20 MLS earners.

https://twitter.com/sportingintel/status/733337030978109444

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm a bit shocked by how much Giovinco is on but Bradley on over 120k a week is just mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Yeah, Bradley's wage is crazy.

Good cash for Lamps & Stevie-G relative to what they've delivered.

Though it's not all the high-life.
    As the article in the telegraph mentions:
    Ashley Cole earns just $300,000 a year at LA Galaxy while New York Red Bulls' Shaun Wright-Phillips makes a mere $100,000.

Which, on a rough calculation means that Wright-Phillips has a take home equivalent to €1,200 ($1320) per week.... which in New York will go quickly.
    It isn't all the high life!

• Advertisement

That lampard wage is a joke. He hasn't played! I have really gotten into league in these last weeks but the difference in pay is staggering, at least villa earns his. Gerrard and lampard bring less that Ridgewell or Doyle ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

watched a bit of the ny derby match....ridiculous.

a team with pirlo and villa getting shellacked 7-0 at home!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

That's a bit of a set back for NYC!

They were useless though In defending. The last two goals were basically let in. Red bulls owned them.

Toronto look lively enough but everytime I see them they look like they are a couple of players short of going all the way.

Yeah, Bradley's wage is crazy.

Good cash for Lamps & Stevie-G relative to what they've delivered.

Though it's not all the high-life.
    As the article in the telegraph mentions:

Which, on a rough calculation means that Wright-Phillips has a take home equivalent to €1,200 ($1320) per week.... which in New York will go quickly.
    It isn't all the high life!

Full list:

https://www.mlsplayers.org/images/May%2015,%202016%20Salary%20Information%20-%20By%20Club.pdf

They were useless though In defending. The last two goals were basically let in. Red bulls owned them.

Toronto look lively enough but everytime I see them they look like they are a couple of players short of going all the way.

Ya they are crying out for a good wide player or someone more creative from midfield.

As for the wages, Lampard, Gerrard and Emegahra are earning far beyond what theyre contributing. Some of the better MLS players on tiny money, Larin, Barrios, Diaz, etc etc.

Ya they are crying out for a good wide player or someone more creative from midfield.

As for the wages, Lampard, Gerrard and Emegahra are earning far beyond what theyre contributing. Some of the better MLS players on tiny money, Larin, Barrios, Diaz, etc etc.

Lampard gets paid more than the entire Red Bulls team who they lost 0-7 to on Saturday.... Also he was booed when he came on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3Uo9Vj6yk0

Considering he is off to do punditry in the Euros this summer having contributed literally nothing to his team, it's not hard to see why. Up there with the worst signings any team has made.

This tweet just came up on my timeline. Very appropriate considering that result!

https://twitter.com/WorkInSoccer/status/734837107227656192

The things they could do to improve their team with that money is crazy, a proper centre half, a couple of decent wingers. Villa is playing excellently, Mattarita at lb has been pretty good so far, Bravo does a job in midfield, McNamara and Mix can be very good when on form. Lampard, if committed, would be perfect in the role behind Villa but he just doesnt give a f**k.

• Advertisement
Advertisement