Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MLS 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Some slip on a pen from David Villa in tonights game for New York City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Some slip on a pen from David Villa in tonights game for New York City

Ya twas horrendous and cost them dearly in the end, they also just cant defend. Love the late goals in MLS games, they happen so regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

FatherTed wrote: »
    Lampard gets paid more than the entire Red Bulls team who they lost 0-7 to on Saturday.... Also he was booed when he came on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3Uo9Vj6yk0

The whole Lampard deal has to be one of the worst financial decisons any team has made in the MLS this season if not the worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Villa is still to good for MLS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Good match.

This game had goals all written over it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Headshot wrote: »
    Good match.

This game had goals all written over it

Tommy McNamara has such a wicked long range shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭geoffrie1

Johner wrote: »
    Tommy McNamara has such a wicked long range shot.

His second one off the cross bar was class.

What was David Villa at near the end? He literally was happy to get a yellow card and now misses the next game. Strange behavior.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Apparently Steven Taylor is going to sign for Portland. 30 and an injury disaster. Then he'd slot in beside Ridgewell who's also 32? Not sure about that.

Watching them play now against sporting kc, defence doesn't look too bad. Midfield and up front look lacluster though

So will this be the year of a Canadian winner of the MLS? For the 1st time a Canadian team will be in the final.

Eastern Conference Final
    1st leg Impact de Montréal V Toronto FC game has been moved from Stade Saputo to Montréal's Stade Olympique Nov 22nd
    2nd leg Toronto FC V Impact de Montréal BMO Field Nov 30th

Western Conference Final
    1st leg Seattle Sounders FC V Colorado Rapids CenturyLink Field Nov 22nd
    2nd leg Colorado Rapids V Seattle Sounders FC Dick's Sporting Goods Park Nov 27th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

So will this be the year of a Canadian winner of the MLS? For the 1st time a Canadian team will be in the final.

Eastern Conference Final
    1st leg Impact de Montréal V Toronto FC game has been moved from Stade Saputo to Montréal's Stade Olympique Nov 22nd
    2nd leg Toronto FC V Impact de Montréal BMO Field Nov 30th

Western Conference Final
    1st leg Seattle Sounders FC V Colorado Rapids CenturyLink Field Nov 22nd
    2nd leg Colorado Rapids V Seattle Sounders FC Dick's Sporting Goods Park Nov 27th

Toronto look to be hitting savage form at the right time. They were excellent in the NYCFC ties. Giovinco really stepped it up!

Colorado would be my dark horse though!

1st legs were last night / this morning

Impact de Montréal 3 V 2 Toronto FC
    Seattle Sounders FC 2 V 1 Colorado Rapids

Both games lots going on for the 2nd legs

Montreal v Toronto was a very exciting game, Montreals counter attacks were so fast. For once, Giovinco didn't have a great game, gave the ball away a lot, poor free kicks but he did win a lot of fouls.

The Atmosphere seemed great, 61,000 - second biggest attendance at an MLS game. Can't wait for the second leg back here next Wed

The pitch measurement incident at the start was embarrassing though!

The second leg of Colorado - Seattle is on now on Sky Sports 4.

Big goal for Seattle. 3-1 on aggregate now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

The second leg of Colorado - Seattle is on now on Sky Sports 4.

Why is this on tonight and the other game not until Wednesday night/Thursday morning?

• Advertisement

dan1895 wrote: »
    Why is this on tonight and the other game not until Wednesday night/Thursday morning?

Pitch in Toronto is being used for the Gery Cup tonight (Canadian Football version of the Super bowl)

2nd leg result Colorado Rapids 0 V 1 Seattle Sounders (Agg 1-3)

Seattle Sounders through to the final on December 10th / 11th and wait on Wednesdays 2nd leg between the 2 Canadian teams.
    If Toronto win they host the final, if Montréal win then Seattle host the final.

2nd leg Toronto FC V Impact de Montréal (Agg 2-3)

Who will be the 1st team from Canada to reach the MLS final?

Pitch in Toronto is being used for the Gery Cup tonight (Canadian Football version of the Super bowl)

Thought they would use the Rogers Centre for that seeing as that's where the Argonauts play out of.

The second leg of Toronto - Montreal starts in just over an hour. Could be an absolute cracker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

The second leg of Toronto - Montreal starts in just over an hour. Could be an absolute cracker.

Certainly has turned out to be a cracker.

2-2 now after 60 mins and 5-4 on aggregate to Montreal. More goals left in this game though.

• Advertisement

Stupid work! 7-5 on aggregate. Delighted for TFC who really don't know when they are beat.

What a game that was. Gotta love the MLS.

Toronto would have to be favs for the final but it's certainly a tight one to call. Seattle have really hit form at the right time and have been very impressive in dispatching Dallas and Colorado when they wouldn't have been fancied to progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

What a game that was. Gotta love the MLS.

Toronto would have to be favs for the final but it's certainly a tight one to call. Seattle have really hit form at the right time and have been very impressive in dispatching Dallas and Colorado when they wouldn't have been fancied to progress.

With Toronto getting to play the final at home they would have to be pretty firm favourites to win their first MLS title.

eire4 wrote: »
    With Toronto getting to play the final at home they would have to be pretty firm favourites to win their first MLS title.

5/4 to win in 90 minutes and 4/6 to lift the trophy. The 5/4 for them to win in the 90 looks a decent enough bet.

So, who are we going for? I have Toronto down for it myself but you never know with this Seattle team.

Got a fee beers. Hopefully some good football now

So, who are we going for? I have Toronto down for it myself but you never know with this Seattle team.

Wouldn't be surprised if Seattle did it after the season they've had. Morris and Lodeiro firing will help obviously. Hopefully a good game either way.

Wouldn't be surprised if Seattle did it after the season they've had. Morris and Lodeiro firing will help obviously. Hopefully a good game either way.

They've had a wild ride. Sacking the manager seems a stroke of genius now but I wonder if they will get in a habit of it now they have gotten a taste of the benefits of new manager syndrome? It honestly could go either way but I just think Toronto have more in their locker and it will make the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rmchmufc

How come the game is in Toronto and not at a neutral venue?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It rewards the better regular league performance. So if Montreal had beaten Toronto (as I was hoping for Piatti alone), the game would've been at Seattle.

As in most neutral games, I'll shout for the away side, the underdogs probably too.

dfx- wrote: »
    It rewards the better regular league performance. So if Montreal had beaten Toronto (as I was hoping for Piatti alone), the game would've been at Seattle.

As in most neutral games, I'll shout for the away side, the underdogs probably too.

Fairly even so far. Bit of bite in the challengesbut not so much goal actikn. I love altidore, pops up everywhere and does a great job. Total pro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

rmchmufc wrote: »

Whoever has the better record in the league hosts the final.

Giovinco is getting fouled a lot, I think he will get free at some point to set up a goal score.

A typical final type game, no fluency, no quality, niggley fouls every minute. We are crying out for a goal.

don't see the fuss about the referee from the commentators. Geovinco is falling down around the box regularly, impossible to trust him which is a foul and isn't. He's also reffed plenty of Rovers v Bohs games...the atmosphere won't bother him.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

don't see the fuss about the referee from the commentators. Geovinco is falling down around the box regularly, impossible to trust him which is a foul and isn't. He's also reffed plenty of Rovers v Bohs games...the atmosphere won't bother him.:pac:

Was thinking the exact same thing. It's the type of game where if you turned off the commentary you'd have a different opinion of challenges etc, or at the very least not be as easily swayed. Giovinco has never needed much to go down.

Ah yeah he's been consistent in so far as he's let everything go. Such a poor game though, not an ounce of quality from anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

rmchmufc wrote: »

My guess would be that most sides wouldn't have a big enough fan base to fill a neutral venue if they had to travel in numbers. Especially with the huge distance that some clubs are from each other. Having the top seeded team get home advantage solves the risk of having a half full stadium for the final plus it rewards regular season form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Makes finishing high in the league more of a priority. I reckon they will eventually move to a neutral venue when the event gets big enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

This is a pretty bad game of football.

I'm nominally supporting the Sounders as I've a lot of friends in Seattle who support them but they've been second best all night.

I started to the game as a neutral but Seattle have not endeared themselves to me, so want Toronto to win

• Advertisement

Beefy78 wrote: »
    This is a pretty bad game of football.

I'm nominally supporting the Sounders as I've a lot of friends in Seattle who support them but they've been second best all night.

Ya they've both been wretched but Seattle more so. Never got going, Lodeiro and morris barely had a tough all night. It's the usual area that MLS falls down on, passing/creativity in the middle/final third. All the effort and energy is unquestionable but the quality often lags behind.

Ricketts should score there. I think Seattle are going to steal this.

Edit - WHAT A SAVE! Where has this action been all night?

Phenomenal save. Phenomenal.

It's been a nervy engaging final, not *that* bad a game imo. Not much creatively from either side, but Seattle have defended well. Toronto have not created much at all and not handled the occasion well..

It's been a nervy engaging final, not *that* bad a game imo. Not much creatively from either side, but Seattle have defended well. Toronto have not created much at all and not handled the occasion well..

Engaging, yes. That bad, yes.

Very calm from Torres for the winning pen. Frei was the hero though with that save and the save from that awful Bradley penalty.

Enjoyable shootout. I think the better team lost but Seattle is a proper football city. They love the sport there and I'm happy for them.

• Advertisement

Toronto is a sports mad town as well. Football has been growing pretty quickly over the last few years despite not being anywhere near as successful or competitive as someone like Seattle.

RichFTW wrote: »
    Toronto is a sports mad town as well. Football has been growing pretty quickly over the last few years despite not being anywhere near as successful or competitive as someone like Seattle.

I don't disagree with you. I've never been to Toronto or anywhere in Canada really so can't speak for it. I just know that I've been to a fair few places in the US and have never seen somewhere there so visibly behind their MLS side. Flags, shirts on the street, etc. I saw both the Seahawks and Mariners play whilst I was there and most people once they heard my accent wanted to talk about the Sounders and were really knowledgeable about them.

And they were sucking when I was there.

I've always thought it was a bit strange that Canada haven't been more of a player in football over the years, with the UK historic cultural influence. Glad to see that they're catching on.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I don't disagree with you. I've never been to Toronto or anywhere in Canada really so can't speak for it. I just know that I've been to a fair few places in the US and have never seen somewhere there so visibly behind their MLS side. Flags, shirts on the street, etc. I saw both the Seahawks and Mariners play whilst I was there and most people once they heard my accent wanted to talk about the Sounders and were really knowledgeable about them.

And they were sucking when I was there.

I've always thought it was a bit strange that Canada haven't been more of a player in football over the years, with the UK historic cultural influence. Glad to see that they're catching on.

Ya Seattle always have a good fan base for their sports teams. They have made the playoffs every year since they joined the MLS though while TFC only made the playoffs last year after 8 seasons of not making it. Making the playoffs is considered a winning season in US sports which is always going to lead to more support on the streets and a growing fan base. TFC were terrible for years and have still managed to have one of the best attendance records in the league.

At work, all the parents have their kids playing football which didn't happen a few years ago so the sport is definitely taking off at the grassroots level. More people are playing the sport on weekends as well and you can see the interest levels rising when you go to bars to watch the games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Game being played now in about a foot of snow between Minnesota and Atlanta.

Why are they playing in an outdoor stadium in Minnesota I mean have none of the people who set up the team seen Fargo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Game being played now in about a foot of snow between Minnesota and Atlanta.

Why are they playing in an outdoor stadium in Minnesota I mean have none of the people who set up the team seen Fargo.

3-1 after half an hour, so doesn't seem to be affecting the football!

• Advertisement
Advertisement