Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East facing garden

Options
  • 07-03-2016 2:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Would this aspect be a deal breaker for you? We've found the perfect house in a great location but the only ones available have either an east or north facing back garden. We have two small children so need the back garden to be playable in during the day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭quagmire47

Would this aspect be a deal breaker for you? We've found the perfect house in a great location but the only ones available have either an east or north facing back garden. We have two small children so need the back garden to be playable in during the day.

Try this http://suncalc.net/

It will give you an idea of how much sun you can expect at different times of the day and at different times of the year. It has a satellite mode just like google maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

I moved to a house last year with an east facing back garden. We get a lot more sun than I expected as our southern side isn't overlooked & so we get sun from early in the morning til about 6.30pm out the back. Much better than I thought it would be. Our previous two houses had west facing gardens so I was conscious of this.
    What is on the southerly aspect of this house OP - would you be shaded from the south by other buildings?
    A deal breaker for me would be a north facing back garden though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

April 73 wrote: »
    I moved to a house last year with an east facing back garden. We get a lot more sun than I expected as our southern side isn't overlooked & so we get sun from early in the morning til about 6.30pm out the back. Much better than I thought it would be. Our previous two houses had west facing gardens so I was conscious of this.
    What is on the southerly aspect of this house OP - would you be shaded from the south by other buildings?
    A deal breaker for me would be a north facing back garden though.

I lived in a house with an east facing back garden and also had sun until around 6 pm. I would prefer a west facing one but if I loved the house / location I would buy east again. I'd never buy north, we use our garden a lot though.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 cailindeasciun

There are tall houses covering the southern aspect so don't think we'll benefit from that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Depends on the house. Our garden is north-facing but gets loads of sun because it's quite long. Back of the house doesn't get much sun and that's probably a bigger issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 cailindeasciun

The garden is wide rather than long.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

I've a north facing back garden, quite long & it's only in the wintertime the whole garden is shaded by the house due to the declination of the sun.
    During the high summer it may shade around 2 - 3 metres behind which is basically the yard size. It's a two story semi-d in south Dublin so they'll be tanning themselves during the summer.
    I wouldn't call it a deal breaker if it's in the location you're attracted to live in really.
    What would put me off is if it wasn't serviced sufficiently with shops / things to do.

Advertisement