Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I give my 1 month's notice after landlord gave us 2 month's notice?

Options
  • 07-03-2016 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,270 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all. Our landlord is selling the house we rent so we have to move. We're on month to month rolling contract where the LL has to give 2 month's notice and tenant only has to give 1 month's notice. LL was very decent and gave us an extra 3 weeks 'head's up' so the contract runs out on the end of may. If we offer one month's notice, we could move at the end of April. We started looking for places to rent and it will probably suit us to move in April rather than May.

So can we offer our shorter notice once the longer notice has been issued?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

How long have you been there? What the law says and what you agree with the landlord are different things. If your landlord agrees to less notice, that's fine, although he might be entitled to more notice according to the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,270 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

How long have you been there? What the law says and what you agree with the landlord are different things. If your landlord agrees to less notice, that's fine, although he might be entitled to more notice according to the law.

Ah. Fair question. We have been here 17 months. We're also on the UK so I don't think that part 4 tenancy agreement applies in the same way as home.

I'm mostly wondering if can issue the shorter notice period once they issue the longer notice period or whether we are relying on the LL to allow us to leave earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Ah. Fair question. We have been here 17 months. We're also on the UK so I don't think that part 4 tenancy agreement applies in the same way as home.

I'm mostly wondering if can issue the shorter notice period once they issue the longer notice period or whether we are relying on the LL to allow us to leave earlier.

I think tenancy agreements are very different in the UK, maybe see advice from a UK site?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Forget the law, just negotiate. He may be happier if you leave earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,270 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Lux23 wrote:
    I think tenancy agreements are very different in the UK, maybe see advice from a UK site?

Forget the law, just negotiate. He may be happier if you leave earlier.

I think it'll be a mix of the 2 of these. Thanks for your time.

Thinking about it, they have issued us with a 'pre-notice' so I can still issue an actual notice to leave. I'll look up the UK law and try to work out a solution that works for everyone.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

Hi all. Our landlord is selling the house we rent so we have to move. We're on month to month rolling contract where the LL has to give 2 month's notice and tenant only has to give 1 month's notice. LL was very decent and gave us an extra 3 weeks 'head's up' so the contract runs out on the end of may. If we offer one month's notice, we could move at the end of April. We started looking for places to rent and it will probably suit us to move in April rather than May.

So can we offer our shorter notice once the longer notice has been issued?

Thanks.

I've done exactly this, in the UK, admittedly a number of years ago, without problems of any kind.

And, in general, I can't see any issue with what you're proposing, assuming you do indeed have a shorter notice period than the landlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

As it has now been clarified that the OP refers to a UK property and Irish tenancy laws do not apply, thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement