Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dyeing hair silver

Options
  • 07-03-2016 9:03am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15

Have very dark hair. Want to dye it silver as I'm in a short film playing middle aged man.

Have been advised by a friend to peroxide the hell out of it so now have strawy blonde hair and eyebrows.

Tried to add silver toner but absolutely no effect. Left it in for 25 mins as suggested - it was L'Oreal I think.

Any tips much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Get a wig. You'll absolutely destroy your hair trying to get grey that quickly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 breakoutareas

Thanks Cupcake, I'll consider it! You're very kind!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

Silver toner will only really take to white blonde hair so you would need to bleach it more to achieve it. It's not an easy process at all and is very damaging to the hair! If second the advice to get a wig unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

+1 to Cupcake_Crisis idea. Get a wig. You'll ruin your hair by doing this quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Read the OP too quickly. Didn't realise you'd already peroxide your hair.

Ok so you're going to need a better toner or you could try Crazy Colour in Silver. You can get it in Terrisales or most hair supply shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Talula123

Dying your hair silver is extremely damaging to your hair especially if you're naturally dark as it needs to be bleached peroxide white first, brassy or yellow toned hair wont work. I'd also advise not to bleach your hair at home if you're naturally dark, I did it about 5 years ago, left it blonde for about 3 months and its never been the same, i've only just got the length back as it wouldnt even grow for a long time - it permanently damages scalp and hair follicles. i had to cut most of it off because it was so damaged and doesnt grow as healthy as it used too. When the hairdresser dyes someones hair silver they do it gradually over a period of time and use lots of hair treatments to prevent damage.

If you've already bleached your hair id recommend a good oil treatment, coconut oil mixed with almond or olive oil is good but you need to put in like every week and leave it overnight. Purple shampoo and conditioner will remove any brassy/yellow tones, theyre particular types of shampoo and conditioner for bleached hair, not just any purple toned shampoo but make sure you get a good brand like bed head or redkin - I got a cheap one and I swear it did more damage than the bleach, my hair was breaking off in my hand after using it.

Wigs are cheaper and much less hassle, African hair shops often sell good wigs, you could buy a blonde one and dye it silver, if you cant find a blonde wig just buy a dark one and bleach that instead.

Advertisement