Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Dorset St

Options
  • 07-03-2016 9:37am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Recently agreed a 12 month lease for an apartment on Dorset Street (beside Mater Private Hospital)

Just wondering what to expect from the area?

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Constant traffic and a fair level of noise.
    Otherwise, lots of takeaways.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Very busy spot. Depending on where you are used to living, you might find it a tiny bit rough but nothing major if you keep your wits about you. Very handy for town. Nowhere in the immediate area worth drinking in (IMO) but with town on your doorstep, that's hardly an issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Texas Jack

I believe that Back Page in Phibsborough is close by which is a nice spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I just looked it up on Google Maps, that pub is about 5-10 minutes at most. I walk slowly though.
    You picked one of the worse times, they're constructing appartments on Upper Dorset so you'll be hearing a fair bit of noise during the week till around 5:30pm-6pm but you get used to it.

It's a fairly quiet place, actually. Bunch of take aways, shopping centres, chemists, etc. All near you. There are a few buses from town that go up there and stop so if you have a trolley of shopping or something you can just get a bus.

Lovely place, actually.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You'll also be close to 'The Duck's Pond', properly called Blessington Street Basin, one of Dublin's hidden treasures.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

It's lively enough. I'd be careful wandering around very late, just stick to where there are people. It looks a lot worse than it is, just keep your wits about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Midnight Express is the best takeaway there, probably one of the best in Dublin. There's quite a few to be avoided actually on Dorset St that I wouldn't eat out of if I was paid to do so. Some pubs there are also not for outsiders so choose carefully. You're a 5 minute walk from Fagans in Drumcondra. Nice bar food.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If you're into craft beer there's a new pub opening nearby in Dominick Street. It's owned by the same people that own 57 The Headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

wyndham wrote: »
    You're a 5 minute walk from Fagans in Drumcondra. Nice bar food.

You're a 5 min walk to Fagans from Dorset St if you've got a jet pack! :pac:
    Tombi! wrote: »
    Lovely place, actually.

I think "lovely" is a bit of stretch!

It's inner city, its gritty but ultimately its grand. You're close to town, there's a good few amenities for you and you've probably more reasonable rent compared to most. But "lovely" it is not imo.
    Nowhere in the immediate area worth drinking in (IMO) but with town on your doorstep, that's hardly an issue.

I'd respectfully disagree!

WJ Kavanaghs (which I think you're right across from) is a lovely pub with excellent food. Bleecker St Cafe is nearby too and that's also decent.

Avoid pubs like the Auld Triangle other than match days, you'll just be attracting attention otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

wyndham wrote: »
    Midnight Express is the best takeaway there, probably one of the best in Dublin. There's quite a few to be avoided actually on Dorset St that I wouldn't eat out of if I was paid to do so. Some pubs there are also not for outsiders so choose carefully. You're a 5 minute walk from Fagans in Drumcondra. Nice bar food.

Jesus, is that place still going, I used to live just around the corner from the midnight express 18 years ago, a great takeaway, I wonder if it's the same lads.

If you like a quiet pint, there's the Findlater, although it may have changed since I was there last

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Try the different takeaways, actually. They all have their own way of doing things.
    Not my way of saying stay the fook away from Mightnight Express :pac:
    But really, give that one a go and a few others around the area. There's one up on Lower Dorest Street area, think it's called Fortés and they deliver.
    cson wrote: »

I think "lovely" is a bit of stretch!

It's inner city, its gritty but ultimately its grand. You're close to town, there's a good few amenities for you and you've probably more reasonable rent compared to most. But "lovely" it is not imo.

Well, as a skanger, it's a love place. :P
    It's not beautiful or anything and you'll see some girtty things and hear the drunken arseholes at night at 2AM but all in all, it's not a bad place. It's got its charm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Texas Jack

Cheers for the feedback lads :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Texas Jack wrote: »
    Cheers for the feedback lads :)

It's a grand place. No rougher than o connell st or anywhere else youd be walking. You have the city centre on your doorstep, Dublin bikes to get you around locally and busses right past your door to most other places.

Plus cineworld is down the road.
    Pure convenience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Dorset St. is grand. Traffic in the morning is a nightmare but if you're cycling or getting the bus it's fine. Loads of good pubs around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Im spent my childhood and early teens growing up in the area before me ma got 'notions' and shipped us out to leafy Finglas. I loved it.That said,i witnessed some crazy things go down over the years.In fairness,its done a great job cleaning itself up since i left the area in the mid 90s,and its very ethnicly diverse these days.I still visit the area almost daily.Ive moved further afield again,to a kip of a town in north Co Dublin and if it wasn't for my eldest son tied to school ect I'd move back in a heartbeat. The far end, past mayes pub can still be a bit sketchy at times. By the mater hospital isn't a bad place to be. Everything is on your doorstep, fortes chipper is brilliant, kavanaghs is fairly decent spot for food and drinks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Sounds like you're moving to lower dorset st which isnt too bad at all.

Its already been said, keep your wits about you, but sure that has to be said for everywhere now.

Bradys butchers on Belvedere Road is top notch. He has his own farm in which all his produce comes from.

The red parrott pub isn't too bad either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

cruais wrote: »

Bradys butchers on Belvedere Road is top notch. He has his own farm in which all his produce comes from.

Does he have a farm in the Netherlands? As some of his chicken breasts come from there. His burgers are good. But his butchers is pricey and nothing exceptional.

IMO FX Buckley is the best butchers in the city. They are far better value than Bradys, there is never queues and their product range is massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

I find it interesting how the first thing Irish people like to talk about when asked about an area is the local pubs. I couldn't care less, I moved to an area last year and I've never been to any of the pubs, it is not even on my radar, beyond "is the place directly next to a pub" in which case, avoid, due to possible drunk aggro. Bizarre country we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

MrMorooka wrote: »
    I find it interesting how the first thing Irish people like to talk about when asked about an area is the local pubs. I couldn't care less, I moved to an area last year and I've never been to any of the pubs, it is not even on my radar, beyond "is the place directly next to a pub" in which case, avoid, due to possible drunk aggro. Bizarre country we have.

Have a medal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

MrMorooka wrote: »

I *think* when people say it's close to a nice pub is implying its not next to a pub that is dodgy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Spice and Rice on Dorset St is probably one of the best Indians on all of the northside, make sure to check it out. Also Independent Pizza Co. just up the road in Drumcondra is decent too.

Personally I'm not a fan of Dorset St itself,I just think it is too traffic choked and noisy. But if you go down any of the small side streets off it then things are considerably quieter. Its got cheaper rent than most areas though so that is an advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Texas Jack wrote: »
    Hi guys

Recently agreed a 12 month lease for an apartment on Dorset Street (beside Mater Private Hospital)

Just wondering what to expect from the area?

Cheers

Lived on Dorset St Lwr for 2 years. It's a busy street at the best of times. Here's my advice.
    • If there's a match or event on in Croke Park, stay indoors or go out for the whole day somewhere else. It's essentially hell on the street.
    • If you have a bicycle I'd suggest to keep it indoors and not in a car park or lockup. It'll get stolen otherwise.
    • Spice & Rice isn't bad, but Namaste down in Smithfield is far better and deliver too.
    • In general it's about the same as any other street around the inner city. Keep your wits about you and don't go walking about with your phone out. It will get stolen.
    • If you want pizza, don't get apache... order from Da Mimmo on North Strand. Far better!
    • Bleecker Street is a really nice cafe. Loved that place!
    • Despite how it looks, Tops n' Pops is actually a good store. Fairly cheap and the staff are nice.
    Any q's let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

• Despite how it looks, Tops n' Pops is actually a good store. Fairly cheap and the staff are nice.

Which one? I always found the Gardiner St one much preferable to the Dorset St one. /2c

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Dord wrote: »
    Lived on Dorset St Lwr for 2 years. It's a busy street at the best of times. Here's my advice.
    • If there's a match or event on in Croke Park, stay indoors or go out for the whole day somewhere else. It's essentially hell on the street.
    • If you have a bicycle I'd suggest to keep it indoors and not in a car park or lockup. It'll get stolen otherwise.
    • Spice & Rice isn't bad, but Namaste down in Smithfield is far better and deliver too.
    • In general it's about the same as any other street around the inner city. Keep your wits about you and don't go walking about with your phone out. It will get stolen.
    • If you want pizza, don't get apache... order from Da Mimmo on North Strand. Far better!
    • Bleecker Street is a really nice cafe. Loved that place!
    Any q's let me know.

Im not even a fan of gaa but Dorset St is a great place to be on a match day,all the pubs are packed, a surprisingly large proportion of them being hot young culchie women. Im not mad about Indian grub,but my brother is and wont order from anywhere else and he's in Finglas so hes spoiled for choice but he maintains spice n rice is amongst the best Indian takeaway on the north of the liffey. I was in and around Dorset St today for a couple of hours and had my phone out, it didn't robbed surprisingly. Nor did it yesterday, and hopefully it won't tomorrow.

Advertisement