Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best bank for online banking?

• 07-03-2016 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

I've been with Bank of Ireland for years but their online banking system isn't as reliable as it should be by now and their customer support isn't what I'd expect.

Who would you recommend for solid online banking? I've had Permanent TSB recommended to me by family. AIB seem to have mixed reviews online, but I remember them being way ahead back circa 2002.

By the way, the problems with BOI online banking is that:
    1) At the end of a long process (cancelling a DD/SO) I'm told the service is down. I call the 365online phone number and they tell me they "have no facility" to do it on my behalf..
    2) Trying to add a payee recently and the IBAN was declared invald, despite being correct and used already with another institution.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I can only speak on one bank and that is PTSB. I find their online services reliable and very easy to use. My wife moved from BoI about 2 years ago because she had enough of their poor service. She is also very happy with the PTSB service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I have found AIB very good you can do a lot more online than other online banking platforms. I also have a UK account with Natwest I don't know if Ulster use the same system (if not then that seems a bit strange!) but I find that better than AIB. One downside I find to the Natwest system is you can't see pending transfers like you can on AIB as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Does anyone know if any Irish bank operates a live transfer system for inter back payments.

I use BoI 365Online, and they use batch processing. If I make a payment to someone on say Friday after 4:30pm, it isn't in their accounts until Monday afternoon.

Pathetic in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

Thanks for the responses. As I'd prefer to go with someone with a physical presence also (I work in IT so I should be more open to the likes of Rabbo direct etc, but ...) I'll probably choose between AIB and PTSB based on comments from jimmi and bachus.

Here's an overview of the AIB features which look very promising: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqX5S3jFZMA
    PTSB has very user friendly videos but as a result it takes longer to get through them all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZHb9fLhY9k

I guess they all have the features I need (including BOI), it's more about reliability. And ironically, banking365.com is completely unavailable for me at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

NIMAN wrote: »
    Does anyone know if any Irish bank operates a live transfer system for inter back payments.

I use BoI 365Online, and they use batch processing. If I make a payment to someone on say Friday after 4:30pm, it isn't in their accounts until Monday afternoon.

Pathetic in this day and age.

It really is ridiculous. If I transfer from my Natwest to Clydesdale accounts it shows up in the time it takes to log out of one and into the other if its possible in the UK it's hard to see why it's not in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Sono

The Ulster bank online service is great and their app on the iPhone is so handy with the finger print login, cannot fault it at all and takes 2 seconds to check my account and their site is very user friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Sono wrote: »
    The Ulster bank online service is great and their app on the iPhone is so handy with the finger print login, cannot fault it at all and takes 2 seconds to check my account and their site is very user friendly.

Ulster bank app is great, I can't remember the last.time I actually needed to.go.to. the website. PTSB has had a recent website upgrade, works a little better and seems reliable. Their app on the other hand is a joke.

Advertisement