Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa Debit card Cancelled

• 07-03-2016 11:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

I signed up to get a pre piad master card during the week. Massive well renowned brand. In order to receive a card you need to deposit 10€ and theres a 3€ refundable charge for your card verifaction. Did this last Tuesday. Went to Aldi on Friday and made a small purchase, the machine wouldnt take my pin so I just tapped it instead. Grand. Went to buy a voucher yesterday online and was told that my details were wrong, rentered them and again same message. Tried a different website for similar product. Transaction went through but payment wasn't processed. Yesterday evening I tried to lodge money into a bookmaking account only to be told that my bank had declined. At around 10.30 last night I got a text and email telling me to urgently contact the bank. Rang them straight away for them to tell me they had cancelled my card due to fraudulent activity. The fraudulent activity being signing up for the prepaid card and the small purchase in Aldi.

I understand they are looking out for the consumer. But I signed up for this card on Tuesday, they got in contact almost a week later to tell me my card had been cancelled. that's problem 1

Problem 2. I rang the bank this morning regarding the cancellation. My worry now is I clicked a purchase button about 6 times yesterday. I asked if these purchases could be cancelled as the card was cancelled and I din't know. No, I would have to wait until next week to see if the transactions went through and then fill out a form to try and get my money back.

First of all almost a week going by before being told that my card had been cancelled is ridiculous. but also finding out that my refused trasactions from the week will most likely be debited from my account and theres nothing I can do is even worse. If my account goes into overdraught I will be charged

Is there anything that can be done or is this perfectly normal.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

It sounds like the card was not properly set up in the first place. Have you been in contact with the card issuer (if it's different to your own bank) to understand was there a problem with the card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Ive had the visa debit card for about 2 years and have used it. Was due a new one in August

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Answer 1: they're looking for patterns of suspicious behaviour, not just once offs, generally.

Answer 2: if the card was cancelled it's unlikely any charges would have went through.

Advertisement