Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shoes - Help Needed

• 07-03-2016 12:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Looking for some advice.

I am currently looking to get a new pair of shoes for use over the next year or two and need some advice around which shoes would be most comfortable. Current shoes are Nike AdiZero.

The reason for this is that I suffer (very, very badly) from blistering on the back of my ankles. I have tried the 1000-mile anti-blister socks and also have the special insoles that you can have made in Elvery's but still no joy. Have even been at the point of having to stick blister pads on before going out as a preventative measure.

I guess what I need is a shoe akin to a runner, preferably waterproof - although to be honest I would be happy to go back and forth between shoes if necessary to avoid finishing most rounds in pain!

If anyone has any recommendations, they would be greatly appreciated. Budget-wise, anywhere up to €150 max would be possible.

Thanks all!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Looking for some advice.

I am currently looking to get a new pair of shoes for use over the next year or two and need some advice around which shoes would be most comfortable. Current shoes are Nike AdiZero.

The reason for this is that I suffer (very, very badly) from blistering on the back of my ankles. I have tried the 1000-mile anti-blister socks and also have the special insoles that you can have made in Elvery's but still no joy. Have even been at the point of having to stick blister pads on before going out as a preventative measure.

I guess what I need is a shoe akin to a runner, preferably waterproof - although to be honest I would be happy to go back and forth between shoes if necessary to avoid finishing most rounds in pain!

If anyone has any recommendations, they would be greatly appreciated. Budget-wise, anywhere up to €150 max would be possible.

Thanks all!

:confused:

Did you make them yourself ? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭dball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Blisters are caused by chafing which comes from movement which usually results from a bad fit.

Back of the ankle sounds like your shoes are too big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Seve OB wrote: »
    :confused:

Did you make them yourself ? :D

Ha ha, mixing up current shoes and past shoes! Current ones are ADIDAS Adizero! Generally found them to be a good shoe - just not suitable to me.

dball wrote: »

Dball, thanks for this. I've heard Ecco shoes are supposed to be extremely comfortable and have had a look at them. Have you had a pair yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Break80

Dball, thanks for this. I've heard Ecco shoes are supposed to be extremely comfortable and have had a look at them. Have you had a pair yourself?

I don't know if you can still get them but I bought a pair of Croc golf shoes last year.
    You can get waterproof or summer shoes.
    They are the most comfortable shoe I have among the 10 pairs of golf shoes in the wardrobe. I have wide feet so I am constantly changing shoes.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Maybe there is no connection but I know someone who had new adidas adizero I think the 2013 version and they did the very same to him, blistered the back of his heels badly, he is wearing footjoys since and no problems, I also wear footjoys and never had any problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭bazzamac

Ecco shoes are probably the most comfortable shoe you could wear but are expensive(some models over €200).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

bazzamac wrote:
    Ecco shoes are probably the most comfortable shoe you could wear but are expensive(some models over €200).

Ecco have a wide range and many are in the 100-120 range. I have a number of pairs and swear by them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

https://www.footjoy.com/hyperflex-boa/122HYP.html?dwvar_122HYP_color=51078

Read the brief :) adjustable heel screw to tighten around ankle.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Nike lunar for me.

Got them near the end of the season two years. So comfortable it's unbelievable.

I never really liked Nike but was desperate for my size and 2 days before our final comp so had no choice as my adizeros burst both shoes!

Since then I bought Nike air max for general strolling and they are also really good.

Only prob I have with lunar in there current version is the big Nike sign from the toe and down side. Makes them look cheap and like their football boots a couple of years back..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

dball wrote: »

These look good though I dont know if I would be happy with the Integrated Shank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭dball

i own 2 pairs of Ecco shoes as I do a lot of walking and i wouldn't choose any other brand.

I don't have their golf shoes but they are on my list - very expensive but I have never had any issues with either pair. luv em!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mikepajero182

Second this, most comfortable shoe i have ever worn. Try on a pair if you get a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

Second this, most comfortable shoe i have ever worn. Try on a pair if you get a chance.

I normally wear Eccos but was looking at these also - how have they been holding up in heavy wet weather conditions - completely waterproof?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Have the Adizeros aswell, back of my heels get blistered after them aswell! Think I'll go try a few pairs on before buying this time! They all look and sound good online but won't know if they're for you until your walking around!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭delboykelly

Ecco Ecco Ecco Ecco Ecco Ecco Ecco Ecco Ecco Ecco Ecco Ecco Ecco Ecco Ecco Ecco Ecco Ecco Ecco Ecco Ecco Ecco Ecco Ecco ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Ecco Ecco Ecco Ecco Ecco Ecco Ecco Ecco Ecco Ecco Ecco Ecco Ecco Ecco Ecco Ecco Ecco Ecco Ecco Ecco Ecco Ecco Ecco Ecco ......

There is an Ecco in here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mikepajero182

Kace wrote: »
    I normally wear Eccos but was looking at these also - how have they been holding up in heavy wet weather conditions - completely waterproof?

Yes really good. I've been playing in very wet weather and they are doing great. The amazing comfort is their best feature though.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies folks. Will look into both the Sketchers and the Ecco ecco ecco shoes, although I suspect Ecco might win out in the end, given the level of choice available.

Interesting to hear that so many people are struggling with the same issue when wearing the Adizero - perhaps I'm not as odd as I think! :D

Thanks for all the replies folks. Will look into both the Sketchers and the Ecco ecco ecco shoes, although I suspect Ecco might win out in the end, given the level of choice available.

Interesting to hear that so many people are struggling with the same issue when wearing the Adizero - perhaps I'm not as odd as I think! :D

If you are in Dublin the Ecco shops in Wicklow St and especially Stillorgan Shopping Centre have the full range and there is usually some sort of sale going on.

First Up wrote: »
    If you are in Dublin the Ecco shops in Wicklow St and especially Stillorgan Shopping Centre have the full range and there is usually some sort of sale going on.

Cheers - must have a look in Stillorgan - only 10 mins away for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

New from Puma

https://trendygolf.com/products/puma-golf-titantour-ignite-hi-top-se-white-black-limited-edition?custno=TGUK134101&utm_medium=email&utm_source=MailChimp&utm_campaign=UK_150302_PUMA_HIGHTOP_IGNITE

Because they're a boot they may help with the heel issues?

The downside is that they may lead to you being beaten up in the clubhouse:)

Domo1982 wrote: »
    New from Puma

https://trendygolf.com/products/puma-golf-titantour-ignite-hi-top-se-white-black-limited-edition?custno=TGUK134101&utm_medium=email&utm_source=MailChimp&utm_campaign=UK_150302_PUMA_HIGHTOP_IGNITE

Because they're a boot they may help with the heel issues?

The downside is that they may lead to you being beaten up in the clubhouse:)

I think I'd prefer the blisters to be honest... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Have bought Ecco for the past 7 years, the most comfortable shoes I have ever had...

http://shopeu.ecco.com/ie/en-ie/ecco/men-s-golf-biom-g-2_8092588/8109334?navId=907

DT

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I've no doubt that the Ecco and Skechers are great shoes. But they're not the only shoes available. I have Nike and Footjoys (Winter and Summer) and they fit and feel great.

It's about fit primarily. Try everything on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

I can't even walk around the shop in a pair of eccos they hurt me that much.
    Sounds like a sizing problem I used to wear size 11 last pair I bought were fj hydrolite size 10 wide super comfy.
    Think you have to try every make and model to get the fit right. Some are really narrow as well.
    Kne companies side 10 seems to be anothers 10.5 or even 11. Try the half size smaller see how they fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Very important point when looking at Ecco shoes - some are Gore-Tex and some are Hydromax - always go for the Gore-Tex as it's 100% waterproof, the hydromax isn't, it's water resistant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭wally79

going to hijack this a little.

I currently have a pair or Seve Icon shoes which are rdiculously comfortable.

I need to get a new pair but can't find them anywhere online. Does anyone know of a site where old stock is carried and I might pick up a pair?

Otherwise I will be calling into Ecco after reading all the comments here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I got a pair (Skechers Go Golf), I'm a size 11, bought size 11, very snug when fitted, very comfortable. 5 rounds in began to ride my foot. Wore an extra thick sock. Still no joy. At the back the heel goes in half way down, like there's no padding. Going back to McGuirks today. Had FJ Greenjoys last (€60) and never had a problem.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Currently have Skechers, Ecco and Nike Lunar and I prefer the Lunar as the most comfortable on my feet (have had blisters from Ecco in the past).
    I also rotate a lot, never the same shoe two rounds in a row, same at work etc...

slave1 wrote: »
    Currently have Skechers, Ecco and Nike Lunar and I prefer the Lunar as the most comfortable on my feet (have had blisters from Ecco in the past).
    I also rotate a lot, never the same shoe two rounds in a row, same at work etc...

I have one pair of shoes for work, one pair for golf and one pair of runners so that I can pretend I go to the gym.

No rotation possible :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Alrite Chief

2 things never to scrimp on, shoes and a mattress. Your back and your feet deserve the investment. Get yourself Eccos. Its a shame they don't make mattresses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

I tried on the Sketchers and the Eccos over the weekend - both felt good and I've been wearing Eccos for about 10 years.

Couldn't say I like the current Ecco design though - they're a bit ugly to look down on - shaped like those Camper shoes. Thinking I will save myself the €100 this time and give the Sketchers a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

I got a pair of Ashworth (highly recommended by a friend) over the winter and wore them first time yesterday for full 18 holes. Very comfortable and a 2 year waterproof guarantee, which I will have to put the test (hopefully not for a while yet though)

I tried on the Sketchers and the Eccos over the weekend - both felt good and I've been wearing Eccos for about 10 years.

Couldn't say I like the current Ecco design though - they're a bit ugly to look down on - shaped like those Camper shoes. Thinking I will save myself the €100 this time and give the Sketchers a try.

I'm a big fan of Ecco for comfort and performance but I agree some of their styles are awful. I have Ecco shoes non-golf as well but there have been times I have gone into their shops and come out without seeing anything I would be seen dead in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Alrite Chief

First Up wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of Ecco for comfort and performance but I agree some of their styles are awful. I have Ecco shoes non-golf as well but there have been times I have gone into their shops and come out without seeing anything I would be seen dead in.

I hear ya but there is still plenty of nice ones

0002320_ecco-mens-golf-biom-hybrid-2-golf-shoes-concreteroyal.jpeg

Ecco-Brogue-Golf-Shoes-Brown.jpg

mens-biom-g2-spiked-golf-shoes.jpg

01_132504-01001.jpg?sw=1024&sh=1024&sm=fit

I hear ya but there is still plenty of nice ones

Was talking more about some of their non golf range. You can get away with almost anything on the course but the ones you pictured are all ok anyway.

Advertisement