Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest - question re separate water heating

• 07-03-2016 12:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,449 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

I recently had a Nest installed which is working fine on my heating.

However it does not (presumably can not) control my hot water separately.  The icon is there on the gizmo/app, but it does nothing.  

Pre the installation the set-up was that I turn on the boiler, and it heats whatever rads are turned on and the water tank.  If I only want hot water (eg in summer), then I turn off the rads.  At the moment I have red-hot water (that I don't need) all of the time as the heating is on so much.

I now want to find out what I need to do to my central heating set-up in order to avail of the funtion on the Nest to separately control the heating of water.  Does the whole thing need to be replumbed?  If I get a switch or tap put in to separate the rads from the hot water tank, does the Nest have to be reprogrammed? 

The installer never explained any of this when putting the Nest in, just set it up how it is and it heats both the rads and the hot water tank when the boiler is on.

Is it possible to talk to an installer or someone who understands the technicalities of this so that I can find out what I need to do, and instruct a plumber accordingly?  I tried ringing to discuss this but the phone lines were busy and I couldn't be put through.

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hello HeidiHeidi,

Thank you for getting in touch.

We have sent your query to the relevant department and you will be updated ASAP.

Kind regards,
    Una

________

Hello again HeidiHeidi,

Thank you for bearing with us.

Having spoken with Home Services, we think the best thing to do here would be to take your Electric Ireland account details, if you could send us a private message confirming the Electric Ireland account number in question, stating you are the account-holder and how your name appears on the account, and the address and telephone number on the account.

We will pass your details to Home Services then.

Thanks,
    Una

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,449 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Hi there, thanks for the reply, and sorry I haven't managed to PM you yet, I hope to get it
    done this evening.

Cheers.
    Hello again HeidiHeidi,

Thank you for bearing with us.

Having spoken with Home Services, we think the best thing to do here would be to take your Electric Ireland account details, if you could send us a private message confirming the Electric Ireland account number in question, stating you are the account-holder and how your name appears on the account, and the address and telephone number on the account.

We will pass your details to Home Services then.

Thanks,
    Una

Hi again HeidiHeidi,

Many thanks for getting back to us.

No problem - please do so just whenever it is convenient for you.

We are here on Boards.ie (and other social media channels) until 6pm Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays).

Kind regards,
    Una

________

PM sent.

Thanks very much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 jisakiel

How did this get fixed? I just got my nest installed and have the exact same problem now...

jisakiel wrote: »
    How did this get fixed? I just got my nest installed and have the exact same problem now...
    OP here - I have not the faintest idea I'm afraid - I have absolutely no memory of posting this thread at all!  :eek:

All I can say to you is that my Nest controls the rads and hot water independently of each other,  there are separate switches attached to the boiler, and each operates separately on separate schedules.

I honestly thought that was all set up at the start, I don't remember the problems to led to this thread at all!

I've cleared out my PMs in and out since then, so don't even have them to jog my memory.

Sorry!

Hi jisakiel,

We have received your private message and will assist you shortly.

Best regards,
    Una

Advertisement