Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Products for dandruff and greasy hair

Options
  • 07-03-2016 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking for your help on some products for hair has dandruff and is very, very greasy.

My hair has always been extremely greasy, within 24hrs of washing it (sometimes less) its back to its greasy state, I've tried dry shampoo and it doesn't really help all that much because of how greasy my roots are. My lengths are dry though.

Recently however, I have started to get dandruff, something which I haven't had for years.

I used to use T-Gel shampoos and to be honest, I found them utterly useless, they made no difference at all. I have in the past used a Kérastase shampoo for oily hair (can't remember the name but it was in a khaki or brown coloured bottle and smelled like mens aftershave), it made no difference, none at all.

Currently I use Pantene classic clean shampoo and conditioner, I only condition once a week and either use the Pantene conditioner or a leave in conditioner. I also only put the conditioner at the very ends of my hair.

I would really appreciate some recommendations, advice, suggestions, tips etc on what products, tips, tricks etc worked for you as I am at the end of my tether with this. Its driving me mad.

I've heard Kevin Murphy products are good, but they are expensive and I don't know if I would be willing to shell out that much without knowing whether they would work for me or not.

Thanks for any help, advice, suggestions etc. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 rahor

I have the same problem and the only thing that works for me is the la roche posay kerium shampoo for oily dandruff. They have two types- one for oily scalps and one for dry.
    It takes about a week to work but is excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

rahor wrote: »
    I have the same problem and the only thing that works for me is the la roche posay kerium shampoo for oily dandruff. They have two types- one for oily scalps and one for dry.
    It takes about a week to work but is excellent
    Thank you so much I will have a look for this in Boots. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 rahor

For some reason, boots don't seem to stock the shampoos in the la roche posay range so I've always bought it in smaller pharmacies that carry the full range.
    I hope it works for you! If I use normal shampoos for a few days, even high end ones, the dandruff comes back. I'm terrified that they will discontinue it!

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

You might find its the sulfates that are aggravating your scalp. There are shampoos and conditioners that don't have sulfates - L'oreal do a range called EverPure that is sulfate free.

rahor wrote: »
    For some reason, boots don't seem to stock the shampoos in the la roche posay range so I've always bought it in smaller pharmacies that carry the full range.
    I hope it works for you! If I use normal shampoos for a few days, even high end ones, the dandruff comes back. I'm terrified that they will discontinue it!
    Thank you, I'll keep a check in local pharmacies.
    on_my_oe wrote: »
    You might find its the sulfates that are aggravating your scalp. There are shampoos and conditioners that don't have sulfates - L'oreal do a range called EverPure that is sulfate free.
    That could be it actually. I washed my hair yesterday and used a shampoo for dry hair (couldn't find my Pantene) and used a leave in mask and since then my head has been mad itchy. I've had to keep a comb beside me for scratching it as using my hands was starting to turn my stomach.

I will look into that L'Oreal range.

Is it anything like the Elvive range? As I've tried that before and didn't like it at all, it left a greasy reside on my hair that only fairy liquid cut through after three washes with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭augusta24

I literally could have written this post!! I've recently bought the Loreal clay rebalancing range - I bought the anti dandruff shampoo, the conditioner and hair masque - boots had a deal on last week so it was €15 for the three.
    They're designed for greasy hair with dry ends... I read reviews in boots.ie which really were raving about this range... I've used them 3 times so far and I'm still on the fence. They claim you will get 72 hours out of them... I'm definitely not making it to 72 hours but I can manage 48hrs fairly easily!

Thank you, I'll keep a check in local pharmacies.

That could be it actually. I washed my hair yesterday and used a shampoo for dry hair (couldn't find my Pantene) and used a leave in mask and since then my head has been mad itchy. I've had to keep a comb beside me for scratching it as using my hands was starting to turn my stomach.

I will look into that L'Oreal range.

Is it anything like the Elvive range? As I've tried that before and didn't like it at all, it left a greasy reside on my hair that only fairy liquid cut through after three washes with it.

I've only used the Elvive range once - stayed at the folks and it's what Ma had in the shower... I know it could be hard but if you can tease out the days between washing (might take a couple of months to do slowly), it will help too. Also if you don't mind adding vitamins, look at Magnesium, zinc and vitamin D. I used a range from Jolie for a while and from Zaija (the polish stuff) but at the moment EverPure is working for me. Another range which is sulphate free is Kind Natured
    http://www.boots.ie/en/Kind-Natured-Nourishing-Shampoo-250ml_1697628/

I use their body washes but was in Boots today and saw they have shampoo and conditioners, so I might try them as well.

Take a look at your hair products and try to minimise alcohol as it can aggravate it.

Just in time, I see Sinéad from The Beautiful Truth has a post up on sulfate free shampoos.

http://thebeautifultruth.ie/whats-the-deal-with-sulfate-free-shampoo/

Anyone here used any of the ones she has mentioned? What did you think of them?

on_my_oe wrote: »
    I've only used the Elvive range once - stayed at the folks and it's what Ma had in the shower... I know it could be hard but if you can tease out the days between washing (might take a couple of months to do slowly), it will help too. Also if you don't mind adding vitamins, look at Magnesium, zinc and vitamin D. I used a range from Jolie for a while and from Zaija (the polish stuff) but at the moment EverPure is working for me. Another range which is sulphate free is Kind Natured
    http://www.boots.ie/en/Kind-Natured-Nourishing-Shampoo-250ml_1697628/

I use their body washes but was in Boots today and saw they have shampoo and conditioners, so I might try them as well.

Take a look at your hair products and try to minimise alcohol as it can aggravate it.
    Thank you so much. I wash my hair once a week. I wait until its really greasy and wash it (though it kills me to do it once a week, as I'm used to 2-3 times a week) but a few months ago I cut down to once a week. Same problem, hasn't changed at all.

I don't really use that many products, and I tend to switch it up as well so my hair doesn't become immune to the same thing over and over again.

I'll have a look at what I use and how often I use them though, thanks so much. :)

Just in time, I see Sinéad from The Beautiful Truth has a post up on sulfate free shampoos.

http://thebeautifultruth.ie/whats-the-deal-with-sulfate-free-shampoo/

Anyone here used any of the ones she has mentioned? What did you think of them?

I've tried the Philip Kingsley one, and I'd agree with Sinead, it did nothing for me. My skin and scalp is easily irritated so I'm careful with what I'll use to clean it. My hair is thick and waist length and I think I only got three washes out of the bottle. The others are new to me. I tried a lot of baby products but my hair was too big. The organic products didn't have any power in them. I used the Naked range for several years but it was discontinued last year :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

Have you tried Nizoral shampoo? Available from pharmacists. Worth having a word with a pharmacist also.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

I had the exact same problem. My hair was greasy literally straight away after washing it. I had (and still have) horrendous dandruff. tried everything, t gel, nizoral, olive oil…nothing worked.

I just put up with it for many years. I started gradually not washing my hair so often (went from washing once a day to now washing once a week) and my hair hardly gets greasy at all now. With regard to the dandruff, I mean I would have had massive chunks not just little while flakes. I'm using the Mane n Tail anti dandruff which has helped a lot (but not cleared it completely) and it claims to not strip coloured hair (which I can safely say it does not).

Thanks everyone. I was in TK Maxx and they had EO brand shampoo/conditioner which are sulfate free, big bottles too, around €20 each (though I'd only get the shampoo to start with), has anyone here used them and are they any good?

Not keen on spending €20 on a shampoo but if it worked I'd spend it.

The itch is killing me, its driving me insane.
    Have you tried Nizoral shampoo? Available from pharmacists. Worth having a word with a pharmacist also.
    I haven't tried this but I will look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Any suggestions for anti-dandruff shampoo for coloured hair? I can't figure out if it's just because it wasn't rinsed properly (rubbish shower head) or if I'm developing dandruff now but I've had it the last while and it's truly awful seeing flakes of white on my shoulder! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I'd recommend Philip Kingsley, he's a scalp expert and I love his hair products. I use unscented and it really helps my scalp (psoriasis)
    They're not overly expensive. You can buy them on Millie's.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭fits

Another vote for la roche posay kerium. Anything else seems to drive my scalp crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭LinF

Any suggestions for anti-dandruff shampoo for coloured hair? I can't figure out if it's just because it wasn't rinsed properly (rubbish shower head) or if I'm developing dandruff now but I've had it the last while and it's truly awful seeing flakes of white on my shoulder! :(

When the kids were growing up, a boy & girl, both had long hair and dandruff. I just got Optima Tea Tree shampoo & conditioner, from Holland & Barrett and added jojoba oil to the conditioner. Worked for them. I think they used it from their late teens till they were around 23 or thereabouts. Do not scrape your scalp, just use the soft part of your fingers, not your nails.

Thanks so much everyone.

I picked up these and said I'd give them a try. Got them for €7 each.

https://www.deepsteep.com/index.php/collections/deep-steep-collections/hair-care/daily-repairing-shampoo.html

https://www.deepsteep.com/index.php/collections/deep-steep-collections/hair-care/daily-repairing-conditioner.html#.VvQ9E_mLSM8

Used them once so far, really lovely, they lather up nicely too, takes a good while to rinse them out fully, they don't rinse out as quick as "normal" (pantene etc) shampoos I found, could just be me though.

Going to see how I get on with them over the next while.

Advertisement