Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homemade Nut Butter

Options
  • 07-03-2016 12:34pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Know there is a few fans of nut butter around, anyone tried making their own?

Have a rest day today, contemplating giving it a go this evening!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Given the price of nuts in most shops I'd say it'd be an expensive option. Interested to hear how it goes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

thats a good point. hadn't considered the price. have a big bag of nuts at home i restock, mix of cashews/almonds/brazil nuts, so was going to filter out cashews from it. price versus buying online might be the deal breaker. least you'd be sure what was in it!!

idea inspired by opening the jar of peanut butter at home to find it empty post ride on saturday, an awful experience. rice cakes and cottage cheese just not the same

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I believe Lidl are selling loose nuts anyone check the prices?

sconhome wrote: »
    I believe Lidl are selling loose nuts anyone check the prices?

not been in lidl in a while, would be interested if this was true

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

mossym wrote: »
    not been in lidl in a while, would be interested if this was true

I used to go the whole time as it was my sons favourite place.

• Advertisement

myprotein.ie do a nice nut butter at a reasonable price

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

thats a good point. hadn't considered the price. have a big bag of nuts at home i restock, mix of cashews/almonds/brazil nuts, so was going to filter out cashews from it. price versus buying online might be the deal breaker. least you'd be sure what was in it!!

idea inspired by opening the jar of peanut butter at home to find it empty post ride on saturday, an awful experience. rice cakes and cottage cheese just not the same

There's also Amazon. If you sign up for the subscribe and save you can get a further 15% off the total of 5 items. Deliveries can be set to 6 months and can be changed.

tunney wrote: »
    myprotein.ie do a nice nut butter at a reasonable price

know a couple of places i can pick it up pre-made alright. interested in the idea of making it though.

it'll inevitably be too expensive , too much work, burn out the processor, or taste like cr&p and be a one off effort..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Or you could wait 3 weeks until......Watch this space!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

I make my own peanut and cashew butter, it couldn't be simpler.

I put the nuts in a blender with some oil (peanut oil for the peanuts sunflower for the cashews) with a bit of salt and blend until I have the texture I like!

• Advertisement

it'll inevitably be too expensive , too much work, burn out the processor, or taste like cr&p and be a one off effort..:)
    Or you could wait 3 weeks until......Watch this space!

as i said.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Lidl do them loose alright, think its still pricey possibly more pricey. Ill check later when Im getting some base layers.

ray o wrote: »
    There's also Amazon. If you sign up for the subscribe and save you can get a further 15% off the total of 5 items. Deliveries can be set to 6 months and can be changed.

for the nuts or the nut butters?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

I make my own peanut and cashew butter, it couldn't be simpler.

I put the nuts in a blender with some oil (peanut oil for the peanuts sunflower for the cashews) with a bit of salt and blend until I have the texture I like!

Do you need a super dooper blender? I tried it with the bog standard kenwood blender at home and it didn't blend them down enough to release the oils.

Is a nutribullet your best bet I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

tunney wrote: »
    for the nuts or the nut butters?

Both. My first order was only last month. I had 1kg bag of Almonds & Cashews. 1kg Tub of Meridian Peanut Butter, 800ml Biona Coconut oil and a bag of almond flour to make up the 5 items. The smaller jars of Meridan Almond/Cashews are in packs of 3 if used in the Subscribe & Save.

I used to get most of those items from Holland & Barrett in their B1G1HP deals but I found they have increased the price and reduced the weight of their bags of nuts.

Neady83 wrote: »
    Do you need a super dooper blender? I tried it with the bog standard kenwood blender at home and it didn't blend them down enough to release the oils.

how long did you let them blend for neady?

how long did you let them blend for neady?

Around 10 minutes I think but maybe they needed longer. From the look of them I didn't think that they would blend down much further but maybe I should have had more patience.

Around 10 minutes I think but maybe they needed longer. From the look of them I didn't think that they would blend down much further but maybe I should have had more patience.

acccording to this it can take a loooonnggggg time.

http://thehealthyfoodie.com/cashew-nut-butte/

handy photo's of the progression though

acccording to this it can take a loooonnggggg time.

http://thehealthyfoodie.com/cashew-nut-butte/

handy photo's of the progression though

I couldn't put my blender through that :eek: :eek:

Can you report on how it goes? In true report style - make and model of blender, weight of nuts, time it took to blend ..........

blender? i'm going to do it with a fork...

yup, will do

• Advertisement

blender? i'm going to do it with a fork...

yup, will do

You're not allowed off your turbo this evening until we have proof that nut butter has been made ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

I use a generic one of these that I got in tesco i think mine is 750 w though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Lidl loose nuts are €14.99 per kg for any kind that they have. In Drogheda they had cashew, peanut , pistachio and can't remember the 4th.

almond butter. almost there

atDvgcei1IwFPHrg8dzZRXBJRF_kTHZYUolEk25vo1UUYqTummyxF7oS0AT6-S3H1uGVd91ID-7JlDACJuYVHFq2HHCWPpqjN3dW3GgxbfJsaGCKzBNXV93NpR_Q9u08WMW5UfbXq13u5pJ9DK1KY5BIzwMsiaCHb-EVve-Spqk5ziAy6Pp7NjZkeVQaB8uiaHV8R6D4nvjOz8sJy7fZTEsB7icWLVM61duSapo7J8sEm0Ec84k6ahYZaEj6cPP7NHzPLBvmJRAFPMnLGQWwnquLZgzM1EUP8I1_15FZpZt1b9GBieMc-GVHh7m0boIMDfOHXdvs3e3Y1Bp7dSxMxGYyoVEy0YNA0XaqgaQEqfoDXWzdVwZjKOJFCv4O5179TGbvgY5_-YNgttZl8BKhMk1mK2D_jiGeHo7oaASgLKRtoA3gFMxZLm3z9izm-bYm1entOz4OCI0HI1xj2xg-U2jXDDo-7_cynSJniY5b43t9hF_ycTHYe_cYX5-hY0hQtmWiSoGgeTw9DKy_f1NBB0svIDUHeEl3BaSR0idTucT9QfPZ5cbgSWZ9bYYhcADAKUxWKg=w483-h643-no

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Lidl loose nuts are €14.99 per kg for any kind that they have. In Drogheda they had cashew, peanut , pistachio and can't remember the 4th.

€15 just for the nuts! And you likely have to peel them too

I just ordered 6 jars or 2kg of Peanut and Co crunchy PB delivered from Amazon for €20. Delicious and zero effort.

Can someone confirm if they can see the pic in the post above of the half made butter? Someone mentioned on another thread they couldn't see my pic

€15 just for the nuts! And you likely have to peel them too

I just ordered 6 jars or 2kg of Peanut and Co crunchy PB delivered from Amazon for €20. Delicious and zero effort.

Probably no question that you can make them cheaper. But some enjoy the effort in making them,can buy energy bars but make my own. Same with granola. Easier to buy, but I enjoy making it/them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Can someone confirm if they can see the pic in the post above of the half made butter? Someone mentioned on another thread they couldn't see my pic

I couldn't see it on my iPad last night, but can see it on my htc phone today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Probably no question that you can make them cheaper. But some enjoy the effort in making them,can buy energy bars but make my own. Same with granola. Easier to buy, but I enjoy making it/them

I'm with you on the make vs buy and eating your own creations. I've made my own PB, make my own flapjacks, granola etc..

BTW correction in my previous post 6 jars totalling 2kg not 6*2kg! I empty a jar into an airtight glass jar and mix it up. Trying to mix it in its own jar is not worth it. Hands down the best PB I've ever tasted.

• Advertisement

I can't see it :(

Advertisement