Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New .17hmr

Options
  • 07-03-2016 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just picked up a new CZ 455 .17hmr at the weekend after having had an old Wischo .22lr for a year or so, just wondering if there are any useful tips out there on cleaning etc & things to watch out for.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

You will have to clean propellant residue a bit more often than you would need to for a 22lr.
    You should remove copper fouling after a box or two of ammo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

I think if you go with the old adage of "clean it everytime you use it" you won't go far wrong. What's the .17 like to shoot compared to the .22

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Congrats. they are a fantastic rifle and i had the exact same one. Devastating on rabbits and other small game/vermin.

Few things i've noticed when i had mine.
    1. Cleaning is essential. This holds true for all rifles, but the hmr is a dirty little caliber. It also uses copper bullets so you'll need a stronger solvent than you would for your .22lr.
    2. If you buy a suppressor then make sure to clean it as much if not more frequently than your rifle. After 150 shots with mine you'd think i was going to go footing turf.
    3. Buy a suppressor that breaks down so you can clean it well. SAK, A-Tec Whisper or LEI are best (and in that order more expensive)
    4. Get a one piece rod. ProShot do a great rod and some shops (Atlantic in Carlow) have them in stock for that caliber.
    5. Stay clear of Hornady ammo. The CZ doesn't like the Hornady stuff as much as the Federal and it hates 20gr (or more accurately mine did). I got way more split necks on the Hornady stuff than with Federal. Stick to the 17gr V-Max/V-Shok. They are basically the same bullet, but Federal just works better.
    6. Keep a 100 yard zero on the gun. You'll only be 1/2" out at 50 yards and will have a point blank range of approx 125/130 yards.
    7. With 100 yard zero you'll need 3.5" of elevation/hold over for 200 yards. Not too bad and easy to hold off for those longer shots.
    8. Buy a second mag. I did and it was a life saver on "busy" nights/days.
    9. Go for head shots. The caliber is devastating on quarry and with kill, gut and clean out a rabbit (:D). If it's meat you're after stick with head shots.
    10. Don't try foxes at anything past 80 yards. Even at that always take head shots. You'll get people telling you, and it can be done, that they drop them at 150 yards, etc. Well i've shot a couple and if it was not a perfect head shot they ran.

That is about everything i can think off. All you need to do now is go out and enjoy it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Hilux2005

Thanks for the tips lads, I haven't got out with it yet but hope to before the end of the week. Is there any particular solvent you would recommend for it?

Hilux2005 wrote: »
    Is there any particular solvent you would recommend for it?
    If you want a "do it all" solvent then i'd suggest Forest Foam. You spray the foam into the bore and let it sit for a bit. Then wipe out.

IF you want something that requires a little more time then i'd go for KG1 carbon remover (use this first), and then KG12 copper solvent.

MPro-7 is decent but not as effective and requires multiple applications. Other solvents such as Butchs bore/Wipe out shine are very aggressive and usually only used for a thorough cleaning.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

Cass wrote:
    If you want a "do it all" solvent then i'd suggest Forest Foam. You spray the foam into the bore and let it sit for a bit. Then wipe out.

That sounds like a good job thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

I find that cleaning the inside of the barrell after around 200 rounds is better that cleaning it each time... I find it holds its zero much better. When I clean the gun it takes 5/6 shots to get back to zero.

Regarding ammo As Cass said federal seem to have a way better and more accurate round thank most.

Congratz on the purchase and enjoy.. You will probably find you will next purchase new glass I did when I changed from a. 22 to the. 17 my old leupold 3x9x50 just didn't have enough magnafaction for shots over 120 yards (foe me anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Deaf git

I've owned two cz452 hmr's. One rifle produced split cases and the other didn't. I figured the difference wasn't so much in the bullet as in the cutting of the chamber- the chamber in the American 452 wasn't as tight as the 452 Fullstock perhaps.

Its definitely down to the chambering.

The Father's HMR was a Savage 93r17 and it was the polar opposite of the CZ455. It loved the Hornady and split the Federal more so than the Hornady.

It also brings up another point. I've heard loads of people say the hmr stuff is all made by the same factory/manufacturer. You have to wonder then why one type of ammo splits in a certain rifle and the another type of ammo does not.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭darg

[*]Buy a suppressor that breaks down so you can clean it well. SAK, A-Tec Whisper or LEI are best (and in that order more expensive)

LEI suppressors cant be broken down

• Advertisement

Sorry about that. Sentence structure made it seem like i meant all three could be broken down.

What i meant was to get one that could break down. Then the three i listed were simply ones i would recommend rather than them being able to be broken down for cleaning.

Apologies for any confusion

darg wrote:
    [*]Buy a suppressor that breaks down so you can clean it well. SAK, A-Tec Whisper or LEI are best (and in that order more expensive)

Got a SAK mod and a box of both Hornady and Federal to try.

If its like mine you'll find both group very well at 100 yards. The Federal has a slight bit more on the Hornady, but i'd hate to live on the difference.

Its the split casing thing that bugged me. Let me know if your one does it and if so which is more frequent, Hornady or Federal.

Happy shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Dachipster

Had a CZ452 American before. Very accurate rifle but I'd recommend a yo Dave trigger kit to take the creep out of the trigger and to lighten the pull assuming the 455 trigger is the same is the 452.

The kit is as cheap as chips and easy enough to fit.

Enjoy.

Chip

Dachipster wrote: »
    Had a CZ452 American before. Very accurate rifle but I'd recommend a yo Dave trigger kit to take the creep out of the trigger and to lighten the pull assuming the 455 trigger is the same is the 452.

The kit is as cheap as chips and easy enough to fit.

Thanks I had heard that alrght I picked one up on here a few weeks back. hope to get it fitted soon it seems a simple enough job.

Advertisement