Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odeon Ripping Off and Discriminating against Dubliners?

Options
  • 07-03-2016 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

I enjoy visiting the cinema a couple of times a month. My nearest cinema would be an Odeon cinema and my pet hate was always the Premier seats (which are often worse than standard seats). So I was really pleased to see when Odeon were brining out a Limitless card. So, it launched a couple of days ago and while the prices is reasonable enough, I am disgusted to see that they have decided to charge Dubliners more than the rest of the country. I see this as wholly unfair and discriminatory. I can't see the profits being less for a Dublin branch, even if running costs are higher, there are more punters going to the Dublin cinemas than there would be outside of Dublin.

The price is €19.99 per month for all of Ireland (except Dublin) and if you want to add Dublin cinemas (IOW, if you live in Dublin) you pay €21.99. It's making me think twice about buying membership.

Anyone else see a problem with this? I know they can charge what they like and you vote with your feet, but this is not a pricing issue, but one of discrimination in my view.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

....or maybe, you know, Dublin has lots and lots of people who live here so seats are limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Supply and demand. That's just business.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Added overheads in the city?
    Cineworld have a similar surcharge in London/UK for their West End cinema only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

in fairness 21.99 Eur a month for limitless films is good value ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Are you really gonna miss that €2 a month?

If you're buying an unlimited cinema ticket then I'd say no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Go to the cinema in the cheaper counties then instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Its an odd decision alright. I wouldn't call it discrimination - get the big words out as quick as you can seems the motto these days - but its odd. Could it be that the Dublin Odeon's are bigger, better than the country ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

eeguy wrote: »
    Are you really gonna miss that €2 a month?

If you're buying an unlimited cinema ticket then I'd say no.

Actually I wouldn't have minded paying up to €25 a month, but the fact that the price is higher for Dubliners has put me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

goz83 wrote: »
    Actually I wouldn't have minded paying up to €25 a month, but the fact that the price is higher for Dubliners has put me off.

So you're happy to pay €25, they're charging you €22, but because they're not charging you €19 you're not going to pay? :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Stick it to the man, don't buy a bag of popcorn the next time you visit and you will have saved the yearly difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

So you're happy to pay €25, they're charging you €22, but because they're not charging you €19 you're not going to pay? :confused::confused::confused:

Spite I believe It's called.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Much higher rent in Dublin. It's just economics.

So you're happy you were willing to pay €25, they're charging you €22, but because they're not charging you €19 €19.99 you're not going to pay? :confused::confused::confused:

Fixed that post. It's not the price (as previously mentioned), it's the higher price for Dubliners.

It's like Coca Cola deciding to charge an extra 10% to rural clients.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

Maybe they have more imaxx screenings, 3D, exclusives etc in the Dublin Odeon which would warrant the slightly higher price?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

It's not higher for Dubliners, it's higher for people who go to the cinema in their Dublin theatres because it costs more to run a complex in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I enjoy visiting the cinema a couple of times a month. My nearest cinema would be an Odeon cinema and my pet hate was always the Premier seats (which are often worse than standard seats). So I was really pleased to see when Odeon were brining out a Limitless card. So, it launched a couple of days ago and while the prices is reasonable enough, I am disgusted to see that they have decided to charge Dubliners more than the rest of the country. I see this as wholly unfair and discriminatory. I can't see the profits being less for a Dublin branch, even if running costs are higher, there are more punters going to the Dublin cinemas than there would be outside of Dublin.

The price is €19.99 per month for all of Ireland (except Dublin) and if you want to add Dublin cinemas (IOW, if you live in Dublin) you pay €21.99. It's making me think twice about buying membership.

Anyone else see a problem with this? I know they can charge what they like and you vote with your feet, but this is not a pricing issue, but one of discrimination in my view.

You are what's wrong with this country - an ignorant whinger.

Of course they charge more their overheads are more - it's not like Coke it's like rental on property.

And if you don't like the price don't pay it, simple as that. Don't go onto a message board whinging ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Fixed that post. It's not the price (as previously mentioned), it's the higher price for Dubliners.

No it's not.Not even slightly.
    Unnecessary analogies need to be vaguely correct.

Maybe they have more imaxx screenings, 3D, exclusives etc in the Dublin Odeon which would warrant the slightly higher price?

Only covers standard tickets/seats.
    Lux23 wrote: »
    It's not higher for Dubliners, it's higher for people who go to the cinema in their Dublin theatres because it costs more to run a complex in the city.

Already covered this. Costs are higher, but then so are profits...more footfall. That's why they have multiple branches in Dublin.
    You are what's wrong with this country - an ignorant whinger.

Of course they charge more their overheads are more - it's not like Coke it's like rental on property.

And if you don't like the price don't pay it, simple as that. Don't go onto a message board whinging ffs.

First rule of boards is.....? Well done. I believe coke is generally sold on rental properties.
    kneemos wrote: »
    No it's not.Not even slightly.
    Unnecessary analogies need to be vaguely correct.

Agreed, terrible analogy. My thinking was that it costs more to get the beverages to a corner shop in Leitrim than it does to make a delivery to the Tescos in Dublin. Any Tesco, or chain store/garage would buy more than a little back arse of nowhere shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

You will find a bottle of coke is cheaper outside Dublin, along with alot of food stuff, including fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

mod:Theboinkmaster and goz83, play nice with each other or don't bother posting at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Culchie living in dublin rate of 20.99?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

You know OP, they really stick it to you on the regular screens too. They're 27% less screen for the same money as the large screen. That's why I always see the movies on the first night they're out before they move down to a smaller screen... They're not conning me out of screen size!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I see this as wholly unfair and discriminatory. I can't see the profits being less for a Dublin branch, even if running costs are higher, there are more punters going to the Dublin cinemas than there would be outside of Dublin.

If you think that's a rip off go for a pint in Temple Bar and then for one outside of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

OU812 wrote: »
    You know OP, they really stick it to you on the regular screens too. They're 27% less screen for the same money as the large screen. That's why I always see the movies on the first night they're out before they move down to a smaller screen... They're not conning me out of screen size!

But aren't some of screens bigger in Dublin? They must hate the counties outside Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Put it this way the prices might be lower down the country but so are the chances of finding good coffee, decent conversation or great sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Odepoint Point Village is my favourite cinema in Dublin because it is more expensive than any other cinema. The extra charge is really to drive the knackers away to cheaper cinemas so it is worth the extra couple of quid not to hear some scumbag on his phone ruining the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

You're being discriminated against OP, you need to write them a strongly worded letter

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

Stage a sit-in OP.

Cienciano wrote: »
    You're being discriminated against OP, you need to write them a strongly worded letter

Me little heart is broke from it all.

Ah well, it just bugged me to see the price difference. It makes as much sense to me as the premier seats they charge for.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

OU812 wrote: »

Sit at the front and get even more screen size for your money!

Advertisement