Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odeon Ripping Off and Discriminating against Dubliners?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

It's silly when people cite 'supply and demand' in situations like this, as if it's supposed to mean something - as if we've never seen a near-empty cinema in Dublin, or as if they're packed around the clock...Reminds me of Father Jack saying "that would be an ecumenical matter" in Father Ted.

The higher price is likely due to the cost of living in Dublin, and how that will have to be factored in to the wages of people working in the cinema's.
    You'd have to see the companies accounting to be sure though, to know whether this is the case, or whether it really is just taking advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

This should be merged with the thread about stingey people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Maybe they have more imaxx screenings, 3D, exclusives etc in the Dublin Odeon which would warrant the slightly higher price?

Odeon don't have IMAX.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Have you informed Amnesty International about this outrage op??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

RWCNT wrote: »
    This should be merged with the thread about stingey people.

People who can't read posts, or follow threads shouldn't post. I know this is AH, but seriously man, cop on. I made it clear I had no issue with the price, but rather the difference in price. Thanks whoring happens on page 1 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

A pint in temple bar is about 2 euro more than a pint in my local
    A knorr quick lunch is at least 80 cents more in my local shop than in tesco
    I can buy a house in my town for over 100k less than the same house in Dublin would cost.

What's your point

A pint in temple bar is about 2 euro more than a pint in my local
    A knorr quick lunch is at least 80 cents more in my local shop than in tesco
    I can buy a house in my town for over 100k less than the same house in Dublin would cost.

What's your point

Does Tesco in Cork charge less for a knorr quick lunch in Tesco Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

They discriminate against people from Limerick by having only 1 cinema there, compared to 5 in Dublin.

I'm so angry.

osarusan wrote: »
    They discriminate against people from Limerick by having only 1 cinema there, compared to 5 in Dublin.

I'm so angry.

They only had funds for one metal detector, so it limited expansion in limerick :eek:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

goz83 wrote: »
    They only had funds for one metal detector, so it limited expansion in limerick :eek:

I find this comment very discriminating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Get your own back! I did'nt like a film on Netflix last night, so I slashed the seats!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Maybe they'll get the funds from the 2 euros extra that they charge in Dublin.

5 screens in Limerick for 19.99, with the nearest Odeon cinema in Portlaoise about 100km away.

Or more than 30 screens across Dublin within a few kilometres of each other, for 2 euros more.

Better get human rights watch on the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Great to see cinemas other than Cineworld offering this.
    Have been hoping Dundrum would roll out a similar deal for years.

I just compared Stillorgan (Dublin) to Naas (Outside Dublin) on Odeon site to check standard ticket prices.
    The Stillorgan prices are generally that bit more expensive.

Example
    Adult Off Peak: €8.50 v €7.25
    Adult Peak:€10.50 v €10.25

So, to me it would make sense that the limitless ticket, with a price presumably set at a certain multiple of standard ticket price, would have different prices too.
    It's a monthly pass to 2 differently priced services; makes sense that the monthly fee should/could be priced differently.

Not saying, I necessarily agree with it, but I understand the reasoning involved.

The only really awkward scenario I would see is when country folk with Unlimited card (who presumably would not have paid the premium), would try to go to cinema while on a trip to the Big Shmoke. It's fairly reasonable to think it could be used, or to be able to pay a small supplement, I haven't read the T&C's closely enough to know if this is an option.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    The only really awkward scenario I would see is when country folk with Unlimited card (who presumably would not have paid the premium), would try to go to cinema while on a trip to the Big Shmoke. It's fairly reasonable to think it could be used, or to be able to pay a small supplement, I haven't read the T&C's closely enough to know if this is an option.

The Non-Dublin version of the card will not work in Dublin nor will they allow a small fee to supplement the non-Dub card.

Loughc wrote: »
    I find this comment very discriminating.

And I found the other poster to be obtuse. The limerick joke was just that, a joke. I've never been to limerick. Never plan to either, but that's beside the point.
    DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Great to see cinemas other than Cineworld offering this.
    Have been hoping Dundrum would roll out a similar deal for years.

I just compared Stillorgan (Dublin) to Naas (Outside Dublin) on Odeon site to check standard ticket prices.
    The Stillorgan prices are generally that bit more expensive.

Example
    Adult Off Peak: €8.50 v €7.25
    Adult Peak:€10.50 v €10.25

So, to me it would make sense that the limitless ticket, with a price presumably set at a certain multiple of standard ticket price, would have different prices too.
    It's a monthly pass to 2 differently priced services; makes sense that the monthly fee should/could be priced differently.

Not saying, I necessarily agree with it, but I understand the reasoning involved.

Hmmm. You know, I genuinely wasn't aware that the pricing was different in other Odeons and certainly not inside Dublin. And there is no option available for country folk to use their limitless card inside Dublin. They are considered two separate packages.

I have sent an email to Odeon to ask why there is a price difference. I don't expect anything other than "operational costs" to be cited. I might just go for it, but I have noticed that Odeon have not shown quite a few films that were available in Cineworld. The reverse is not the case, but Cineworld is not convenient for me personally.

The Non-Dublin version of the card will not work in Dublin nor will they allow a small fee to supplement the non-Dub card.

Got there before me. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,678 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm not to sure of the details of this offer but how many films cam you see in a day.
    I know smaller cinemas which would be part of chains the last showing is often at 21.00 whilst in cities the last showing is often 23.30.
    So places like Dublin you could squeeze two films in an evening but in small towns you could only see one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Fair enough I suppose; helps to keep from having muck tracked into our fancy Dublin cinemas :p

Cineworld has never been convenient enough for me to justify the card;
    If I was able to make use of it (prevented from leaving the house by a 1 year old), I'd definitely take the punt on Odeon one for Stillorgan, 20ish quid is pretty good value as long as you make use of it, and/or would already regularly spend around this on a monthly basis in cinema (2+visits).

Haven't been to the cinema in ages :o; sticking to the couch and 'borrowing' movies for now (I always return them to the internet once viewed).

So I had emailed them asking about the price difference, but it seems I was taken up wrong and somehow my email was lost in translation. In fairness, they replied within a few hours.

From me:

I have been a long time customer of Odeon and would regularly attend the local <SNIP> branch. I have in the past suggested limitless membership, but there were no plans in the pipeline at that stage.

I was very pleases to receive an email recently to ask for my interest in your new limitless membership, which I suspected would be €20 per month. I was not far off when I seen the launched price of €19.99 per month, but I was very disappointed to see what I view as discrimination to your Dublin customers, seeing an increase of 10% added to the cost of membership. While I suspect the running costs of a Dublin branch is higher than a branch outside Dublin, I would also suspect the profits are higher from significantly more traffic.

So, I would like to know why the membership for Dublin customers is 10% higher than the rest of the country.

Goz

Reply:

Dear Goz,

Thank you for emailing us here at Odeon Guest Services, I'll be happy to help.

I do appreciate your concerns with the price difference from GBP to Euro and of course we want to hear if guests feel like if they are being discriminated, however I can assure you that the charge difference is not from discrimination but to add up from the difference in the exchange rate from GBP to Euro. At the moment for every £1.00 that would exchange to €1.29, which mean £17.99 exchanged to the euro would work out at €23.29. I hope this explains the price difference between the UK and ROI.

Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Warm regards,

<J...snip>
    ODEON Limitless Team

My reply:

Hi <J...snip>,

I think you might not have read what I had written. My query had nothing to do with exchange rates. It was in relation to the price difference between Dublin and the rest of the ROI. It is €19.99 for the limitless membership and €21.99 when it comes to accessing the Dublin cinemas.

Regards,

Goz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

They obviously think Dublin is in the UK. Which is understandable as you never hear a Londoner complaining that jellied eels are much cheaper in Hull than in Stepney.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

If 2 quid is your tipping point, you can't afford the cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Dublin is more expensive (rents/land etc.)/demand is higher/possibly more showings.

If 2 quid is your tipping point, you can't afford the cinema.

I would agree. Except....as I have repeatedly pointed out, that the price was not the issue; the price difference was. Each person to make that point is slower than the one before, who already posted it and received a reply to correct their incorrect/misguided/ignorant statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

But sure isnt heroin cheaper in dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I would agree. Except....as I have repeatedly pointed out, that the price was not the issue; the price difference was. Each person to make that point is slower than the one before, who already posted it and received a reply to correct their incorrect/misguided/ignorant statement.
    So your dismayed that some pig farmer from Ballygobackwards pays a little less for a cinema ticket than you do?

If your happy to pay €25 then why the issue with someone else in another part of the country paying less? It doesn't impact your price or the service or experience at your cinema.

Each person to make that point is slower than the one before, who already posted it and received a reply to correct their incorrect/misguided/ignorant statement.

Nice.

Read all your nonsense reasonings. Reality is I don't believe you. Someone who has enough cash to spare to go to the cinema more than twice a month couldn't possibly get that upset over 2 quid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I go on Wednesdays for a fiver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Actually I wouldn't have minded paying up to €25 a month, but the fact that the price is higher for Dubliners has put me off.

Do you rent in Dublin? The prices are double/triple what you can get down the country and much worse standards and size in the case of apts from what I've seen.

Plus it's not like it's double the price it's only a couple of quid or so extra.

Cinema prices are €8.50 per adult on average in the country and as I recall when I was in living in Dubiln one could pay €11 - €13 per viewing.

• Advertisement

Read all your nonsense reasonings. Reality is I don't believe you. Someone who has enough cash to spare to go to the cinema more than twice a month couldn't possibly get that upset over 2 quid.

I'm unsure of what you don't believe and how you have come to believe that I am "that upset". Disappointed by the price difference, sure. Upset...not quite. Maybe some people are misunderstanding what I am writing. Sure, the Odeon customer care seemed to think I was comparing currencies. Perhaps you work for Odeon?

I suppose it's just another example of Dublin supplementing the rest of the country, only it's happening with a private company instead of the public purse.

In any case, some posters made complete sense, rather than doing what seems to be the normal sheeply aggressive response, cued by the first response, or two to a thread. I have a better idea of the logic applied to the pricing, even if I still think it's unfair to single out Dublin with higher pricing. I'm sure operational costs are different in Limerick when compared to Cavan, for example, but the same price applies to the membership for everywhere*

*except Dublin

Advertisement