Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap Dual Action

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

cena wrote: »
    It doesn't say what size the thread is

You can measure it or check it with a bolt to see what matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

These things are retard proof, aren't they? Tempted to snap one up.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

These things are retard proof, aren't they? Tempted to snap one up.....

If you put a sandpaper disk on it you get a really shiny finish. So I'm told anyway....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

*Kol* wrote: »
    If you put a sandpaper disk on it you get a really shiny finish. So I'm told anyway....

I heard brake fluid works best as a lubricant for the sandpaper.....

Before anybody thinks of running down to the motor factors for gallons of brake fluid, check their sarcasm detector is working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

The thread size on most DA's is 5/16.

I suppose you could machine the large backing plate down to size.

Yes, a DA is pretty much fool proof, in terms of operation and risk involved. Something to consider before starting out would be; has the paintwork being polished before? If someone has done a lot of machine polishing before, the clear coat may already have a larger percentage removed already Microfiber pads offer more cut, but still relatively safe, but there are also pads available that would offer similar ability to 2000 and 3000 grit sandpaper....but if you are going this route, you are likely to have read up on how they perform, etc, and be aware of the risks involved.
    But unless you were to drop the DA onto the car, it has little potential to do damage to the paintwork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

picked up one of these today. got a €5 voucher too.

the backing plate is massive. 180mm

gonna mess around with it anyway and see what happens.

colm_mcm wrote:
    gonna mess around with it anyway and see what happens.

Mine has dust gathered in the shed, must take it out and running in the next few weeks.

that didn't go amazingly.
    I had meguiars ultimate compound and it made some difference, but the pad only seemed to do anything in the middle.
    I really need to do more reading up on speeds. a smaller pad and different product would help too id say.
    Where would I get such a thing in clare/limerick?

Thought you had marks you wanted to take out?

In that case wouldn't you need the likes of hex logic pads off detailing shed or the likes.

• Advertisement

yeah. I need them. just figured id see what the supplied pad was like. I wasn't expecting anything great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Where would I get such a thing in clare/limerick?

I know james vti s mentioned these in newcastle west and said they have tonnes of stuff

http://www.swifco.net/about_us.html

ah yeah. I just got excited having it!
    will just order the stuff recommended earlier in the thread. will have it for when I need it.

Did the yoke already on it do much to the paintwork?

Not a whole lot, it got rid of some of the scratches but I'd imagine it would be OK for polishing.

Must figure out the thread size and see if it's a regular thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Danger781 wrote:
    Anyone seen the kit in Aldi at the moment?

Looks fair similar to the one that does be in Halfords, which is meant to be pure muck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

That isn't capable of doing paint correction. It will buff off polish and add a bit of depth and gloss, but isn't considered a machine polisher, in detailing terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭traco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

If I was buying one I'd be going for a named brand one to be honest, Orbital, Dodo Juice and Kestrel would be very good ones.

• Advertisement
Advertisement