Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAS Build?

Options
  • 07-03-2016 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am looking to set up a home media server NAS (running plex with transcoding) but have yet to find an affordable option. Frankly buying an old PC on ebay installing unRAID and sticking in some disks is looking like the cheapest option. Not great for space or power efficiency though.

What can I do on the DIY front for about €250 excluding drives?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you're gonna transcode you'll need CPU horsepower, that costs money.

If you can stand not using HEVC and only one client at a time then pickup a tall 775 box with lots of drive bays.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

What sort of transcoding? 264, 265? How many clients?

To give you an idea: An i3 can sustain (just about) three 1080p x.264 transcodes, as long as they're not all started right at the same time. That'll be €100 of your budget alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

Out of curiosity could I get some opinions on a 4bay Drobo DAS?

Out of curiosity could I get some opinions on a 4bay Drobo DAS?

Do you want to transcode or don't you? A Drobo is a little SoC thats slower than your phone with some proprietary software.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

Sorry should have clarified, if I went for a DAS is would be plugged into my PC which will be running Plex Media Sever. Transcoding taken care of.

I ask about Drobo because they generate so much hate in enthusiastic circles. Its one of the cheaper options and their flexibility is very tempting but if you head onto a message board or reddit they make it sound like it will eat your data or explode as soon as you turn it on.

• Advertisement

I've only looked at Syn and Qnap before, but it seems they don't fail gracefully at all:

http://scottkelby.com/im-done-with-drobo/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

This is a list maintained by Plex users of NAS devices running PMS and there is only 1 Drobo listed and it appears it cannot transcode video at all and only audio, so every single file added to the NAS will need to be in a version that your client can play without transcoding

Advertisement