Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Spain

Options
  • 07-03-2016 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi

After a load of bad luck in the last few months, I have decided that its time to start living my life instead of letting it go by. My son is 21 and not working so Ive decided that its now or never and we are going to go travelling for a couple of years. We are going to head to spain first from June to December. Buy a car/van/campervan and head off with our 3 dogs. Has anyone else done this and how did they get on.

We own our house so we are going to rent that out so we will have money coming in every month.

Looking at different threads about insurance on cars etc. it seems that we will only be insured for 90 on mainland europe. How do you get car insurance in Spain and is it possible to get it before we go?

Also, can I apply for my NIE number here in Ireland.

Also, what is best mobile phone company to use in Spain?

We have the dogs sorted, just need their pet passports and insurance for them too, as they are large dogs and are banned in some countries. (hense we aren't going to France)

We are thinking of buying a car, a Hilux, in mainland Europe Germany and driving it back to pack everything up and then get the ferry from Dublin to France and from France to Bilbao. with the dogs it seems the best way to do it. The hilux gives us the best amount of room for our stuff and the dogs. We will be getting off one Ferry in France and back onto the other one in the same port to get to spain.

We have friends who think we are totally mad, but you only live once and I want to start living my life.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Hi, good luck, just saw this thread, thinking of doing the same, as in moving to Spain,
    I'm starting by getting my garden in order and getting passports and up to date shots for the pets. It would be 2017 I wold imagine before we're there. I have a friend who drives internationally, so hoping to rent - a -van and ferry it if its a sell-up move.
    I was thinking of renting my house out, or selling, i'll have to look into the pro's an con's of both. I need to look into the tax implications.
    Love to know how you get on!

Advertisement