Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permission to film a vox pop

Options
  • 07-03-2016 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi there,

I'm not sure if I've put this in the right section so apologies in advance. I'm a college student in DIT and planning on filming a vox pop with two others on the streets of Dublin. It shouldn't take long, about an hour or so all going well.

I'm just trying to figure out if we need to get permission from someone before we go ahead and do it. ie DCC. I know if there are storefronts etc in shot, I'll need permission from the store to use the footage, but with regards to setting up the camera and asking passersby questions, do I need to clear with that anybody first?

I've been told by one person that it should be fine, but if we're in one area too long we could be moved along. Any advice at all would be great!

Thank guys.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

You shouldn't need any permission to film on public streets - unless you're doing something on a scale that's going to cause any disruption. I definitely don't think you need to get the okay of a shop if their storefront is caught in the shot.

There seem to be some exceptions to that, though - for example I was told by a security guard on Grand Canal Square that I needed permission from the management company to film there. I'm guessing newer developments like that are technically private land (or at least that's what they'd argue).

If you are going onto private land - for example into a shop, or onto a college campus - you should look for permission from the owner, even as a matter of courtesy.

The only other thing to bear in mind is shots of people under 18 - you'll need permission from parents/guardians to use shots/clips of them (though I don't think you need to worry too much if a child's face happens to pop up in the background of a shot).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Maybe ring the local council and see, when I did photo shoots in local parks we had to ask permission from the OPW but not sure about the streets.

Advertisement