Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of renovating to code Pre 63 houses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

Hard to estimate, but I'd say 150 000 it depends on finish and condition. 1000-1200 for msq.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Hard to estimate, but I'd say 150 000 it depends on finish and condition. 1000-1200 for msq.

expensive project so.

what needs to be done to bring up to code. generally speaking ?

Anybody experience with this?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

expensive project so.

what needs to be done to bring up to code. generally speaking ?

Impossible to say with only an exterior photo!
    Have a look at our Technical Guidance Documents Parts A-M. Probably about 1500 pages of guidance and they are the minimum requirements for compliance with todays Building Regulations.

Loads on here would, but I don't think you'd get much better opinions without seeing the actual house in question.

You would be exempt from many of the current standards so it all depends on how far you want to go / how far your budget stretches.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

must be a record in answering your own post.

Is this a speculative investment?

How much consideration would you like us to give this?

1mins conservate consideration: between 50 and 250k

• Advertisement

BryanF wrote: »
    must be a record in answering your own post.

Is this a speculative investment?

How much consideration would you like us to give this?

1mins conservate consideration: between 50 and 250k

If you took the time to read my post, I wasn't answering my own post... if you have nothing to add don't reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭ando

I'm in a similar boat looking to renovate a pre '63 house of similar size (well, guessing from what I can see from the front)

I've had a structural surveyor in to give a full health check on the house, I'm now looking at a roof job (rafters replacement), support beam installation, chimney repointing/venting, insulation of entire house, windows, doors, stairs, electric rewiring etc..

We're looking to spend 50k max, including a new extension out the back to include bathroom + kitchen.

Not sure how realistic this is, but its as far as I'll go

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

If you took the time to read my post, I wasn't answering my own post... if you have nothing to add don't reply.

I have just renovated a 50's house. Would you like to ask a specific question, or would you prefer vague answers based on a speculative daft.ie house that you don't own

ando wrote: »
    I'm in a similar boat looking to renovate a pre '63 house of similar size (well, guessing from what I can see from the front)

I've had a structural surveyor in to give a full health check on the house, I'm now looking at a roof job (rafters replacement), support beam installation, chimney repointing/venting, insulation of entire house, windows, doors, stairs, electric rewiring etc..

We're looking to spend 50k max, including a new extension out the back to include bathroom + kitchen.

Not sure how realistic this is, but its as far as I'll go

How big of an extension are you hoping for?
    Either your budget will have to increase or your plans decrease :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭ando

kceire wrote: »
    How big of an extension are you hoping for?
    Either your budget will have to increase or your plans decrease :(

Prolly about 20 sq mtrs

• Advertisement

ando wrote: »
    Prolly about 20 sq mtrs

That could be 30k plus depending on level of finish alone leaving 20k to do up the existing dwelling.

Might be possible with careful management of trades and costs.

Advertisement